Blue-ish Green Chemical

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taddat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a question about a chemical a tree co. used to stop tree growth. After they cleared some trees and unwanted bushed, they sprayed a blue-ish green chemical on the stumps. Any idea what it would be? They pumped it out of a 30 gal barrel into small pump sprayers. I remember the guy telling it was expensive but I can't remember what he called it. I know this is not much to go on but any help would be appreciated.

Tordon RTU is a deep blue chemical that is used to prevent tree and brush regrowth. Tordon RTU can typically be used without a state herbicide license. Last year it was selling for about $13 per quart at agricultural stores. I would not say it looks greenish after application, but the Tordon RTU MSDS refers to it as "blue-green". You need very little per stump. I use a chemical resistant hand-held squirt bottle to apply it. It is very effective, but can be translocated in the roots of target stumps to non-target trees.

They might have been using Tordon 30 gallon barrel. At least in my state that requires a state herbicide license, because of the risk of spills. They could also have been using Tordon mixed with an basal oil or diesel.

Last edited:
ALL chemical applications require a license, in every state that I am aware of, so long as you are charging a customer to do the work, or if you are doing it as part of the work done by a contractor.

Of course, a homeowner can buy the same stuff, and go out and do whatever they want.

Farmers have their own classification of license, as do many others.

The applicator was able to bill for around $100 for this pointless treatment, eh?

Suppress light. A black, plastic bag over the stump solves the problem. No light = no growth.

In my earlier post re Tordon RTU I was referring to someone doing their own work on their own property eg a homeowner, landowner, or farmer. Even for those persons state herbicide laws apply for state listed herbicides. For example in Kansas I can use Tordon RTU on my land, but to use Tordon I need to get a specific license.

It has to do with whether a pesticide is a "restricted use" pesticide or not. If restricted, you can't buy it without the license.

There aren't that many restricted use pesticides out there in common use.

Could be Garlon, too. My neighbors were really impressed with the blue color I left on all their trumpet vine stumps...
most likely was, that is what I used on ROW work, we used to use tordon but changed for health some reason.

garlon

ALL chemical applications require a license, in every state that I am aware of, so long as you are charging a customer to do the work, or if you are doing it as part of the work done by a contractor.

Of course, a homeowner can buy the same stuff, and go out and do whatever they want.

Farmers have their own classification of license, as do many others.
I was working last week planting some trees and mowing and got a visit from a guy from the Dept of Agriculture asking if I'm using any spray chemicals, told me it was hefty fine if I got caught so I ordered the test books to get my license.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back