Blue Spruce loosing it's needles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC_JAKE

Reaction score
I have 4 large-sized blue spruces in the back of my yard - one of them is loosing needles like crazy. Basically you can flick your finger on a branch and the needles come flying off. The soil type is rocky and lots of clay I believe. I assume it's not the best locale for these types of trees? It gets lots of sun and heat during the summer - I have read that it could be some type of fungus? What are your thoughts?

My name is Jason by the way - just joined your forum to get some help and learn. Thanks guys!

Cytospora- look for whitish pitch flow on trunk and branches that are loosing needles. Rhizospheara- look for purple/brown needles typically dropping off from inside to outside of branches. Both are fungal problems.

Blue spruce problems

If it is Cystopora canker the only thing you can do is prune out the branches that are infected. Rhizospheara will have black spots/fruit bodies from the underside of the needles coming out of stomates. If it doesn't have the black fruit coming out then it's not Rhizospheara needlecast. If the second/thrid year stems have small black dots along the stem then the tree has a condition called Sneed--Sudden needle drop-The second yr needles turn a purple brown and drop prematurely. The needle cast and SNEED can be treated with a common fungicide--------

Latest posts

Back