Blunt Force Trauma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I have not seen a rip like that since my brothers last assault trial.
Heal up and talk to your doc about an MRI, don't want to scare ya but, better to know if the insides are ok.

Best wishes John

Hope the healing goes well.
Get back on your feet soon, as I'm in need of more Far North(or is it far out) instructional videos. Never knew how much I had to learn until I saw your vids.
take care and best wishes. And for Pete's sake take care of self, we only have one of you.

I am very glad you are gonna make it. It looks like you took on 5 Marines.

Now then...I seem to recall saying I couldn't abide no hardhat in the woods..

And I'm sure we can all take up a collection so as to hire in Soren Eriksson for a personal GOL course so this don't happen again...:hmm3grin2orange:

I am very glad you are gonna make it. It looks like you took on 5 Marines.

Now then...I seem to recall saying I couldn't abide no hardhat in the woods..

And I'm sure we can all take up a collection so as to hire in Soren Eriksson for a personal GOL course so this don't happen again...:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks again fellas for all the well meaning replies and the great related stories.
Oldtimer, now I think it might be a bit fool hardy not to wear a hardhat in the woods, but I'm wondering what the chances would have been of coming out of it with a broken neck if I had? Just another chance to take, but I'll wear one from now on regardless. What's the best colour? White, green, blue or flouresant. Lol

Every time we walk into the bush and fall trees it's much life playing the lottery, if you play it enough eventually you'll win, or in the case of trees you will eventually lose.
It all comes down to a calculated risk we take and try to stack the deck in our favour.
There are so many variables when it comes to safety.
I'm still trying to figure out how I didn't see this one coming and what I was thinking about at the time. Maybe a certain degree of complacency of mind not 100% on the job.
I'd go out to the accident scene today to get the offending club that hit me, but I don't think the -15 degree temp is good for the injury. Maybe when it warms up a bit.
John

Hurry and get better were waiting on your instructional series of videos. Really glad your ok so to speak. Slowp would be the one to talk to about fashion colors.

Last edited:
Wowzers!

Sorry for the "expense" of the "lesson," and thanks for posting the safety reminder.

Hope you feel better soon.

Well guys, I got hit square in the face yesterday and managed to make it to a neighbours before I bled to death and I wasn't fooling around.
I was dropping a double stem pine that joined 4 ft. above an 18" stump. The first stem fell ok, but because I was cutting over my head I was sloppy about the undercut and got the second stem hung up. No biggy, I just cut it 6 ft. above the stump and next thing you know, I was pounded straight in the face out of nowhere. Blood was filling my eyes and it was all I could do to make it out of the bush. Then a 150 mile drive to emergency.
It's a wonder I didn't lose my eye.
I'll go back out to the accident scene and take pictures. This is the most serious accident I've had in my 29 year career. This happened yesterday at 1:30 pm. I can hardly see what I'm typing.
John

Hope you get better soon. Even though it looks more like you went a round with me.

Glad to hear you did not loose the eye.

Get feeling better.

Glad you are alright John! That was a bad one there!
This has always been my fear when working alone, 20 miles to the closest hospital and no real way to explain to the EMS how to find you!
Be careful and heal up man!

I'm thinking of getting one of those GPS emergency gizmos that you wear for just such a situation . I guess it will broadcast your location to a number of 1st responder types . My wood cutting partner lay for 3 hours after falling down the hill and breaking the top off his femur . He was not far from his home and had his cell phone but he fell into a mess of slash so he couldn't crawl out and down in the "holler" the cell phone didn't work . His wife eventually came looking and it took 6 guys to cut a path and carry him out . I will say, he had broken every safety rule that applied (he is not a professional cutter) and has been demoted to tractor operator and splitter operator in our weekend firewood operation .
Do you think the GPS thing would have helped in your situation ?

I'm thinking of getting one of those GPS emergency gizmos that you wear for just such a situation . I guess it will broadcast your location to a number of 1st responder types . My wood cutting partner lay for 3 hours after falling down the hill and breaking the top off his femur . He was not far from his home and had his cell phone but he fell into a mess of slash so he couldn't crawl out and down in the "holler" the cell phone didn't work . His wife eventually came looking and it took 6 guys to cut a path and carry him out . I will say, he had broken every safety rule that applied (he is not a professional cutter) and has been demoted to tractor operator and splitter operator in our weekend firewood operation .
Do you think the GPS thing would have helped in your situation ?
Had one sold it.
Would not work unless you have and absolute clear view of the sky.
Was a 'find me spot' and you had a hard time figuring out what it is doing.
There is a new model not sure if its better.
Bob

Latest posts

Back