bmans timberframe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all. Cut the frame from a set of production plans and shop drawings. The internet is a wonderful resource for just about any pursuit. Timbers were worked green but did dry out some over the course of cutting all the joints (about 5 months) Heres a couple of interior pics.

:jawdrop:

Nice work bman!

bman, thee man. As I mentioned before my next move on my cabin is the 45 degree supports. Can you tell me how you attached yours? Are they just nailed up there? It would be a piece of mind for me because I am thinking to give the best support I have to notch them in but if nailing them is the method, great.

rb, I cant say for sure what is best for your project but I would guess that some sort of notched in bracing would well surpass a nailed in piece. Bracing is primly to stiffen the structure but can also help to break the span of long support beams. I got a ton of help from a timber framing forum over at "The forestryforum dot com" They have an excellent discussion board on timber framing. Additionally check out The "Timber Framers Guild" web site, they have a discussion board as well. Also you may want to invest in this book "Building the Timber Frame House" by Tedd Benson, I would consider that indispensable for what your building. one last web site, Woodweb, everything you ever wanted to know about wood (drying, characteristics, shrinkage etc) Keep you shoulder to the plow, measure twice cut once and don't look to far ahead, just keep focused on what you need to get done today. Best of fortune-bman

Beautiful, just beautiful.

I'd love to show my wife these pictures, she absolutely loves interiors like that. I like the kitchen layout myself. But I don't know if I could handle that kind of addition to the honey-do-list. :jester: :jester:

Although it could require another/newer/bigger milling saw.

The Alaskan in action

a few more pics.rrrrrreeeerrrrreeeerreeeeerrrrre...saw dust, exhaust fumes, numb hands. Nobody said chainsaw milling was easy, but it beats a day at work !

WOW!!! This has to be one of the coolest projects I have ever seen!!! And some of the best craftsmanship too!

Very well done!

WOW!!! This has to be one of the coolest projects I have ever seen!!! And some of the best craftsmanship too!

Very well done!

I agree, this has been interesting to see. I love the concept, and then follow through with those beautiful joints.

Old post loved by new member

Hi all,

I'm new here and this is my first posting.
I did a search of the milling forum and came upon this thread.

I knew I came to the right board.......... WOW!!!

Amazing craftmanship, beautiful work, georgeous home, inspiring fortitude, greatly informative.

This embodies my dream.

I have 28 acres of beautiful Oak timber in paradise (rural NE TN) that awaits me.

My dream is to build a chainsaw mill (V groove on rails) using a 10hp Briggs I have out in the garage, trailer the parts down to the land, and drop and mill a homes worth of timber.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to fulfill my dream, but this post and this site certainly gives me the inspiration.

Dave

bman, if you are still around, great job. The house is just beautiful and with joinery like that it's sure to be standing for quite some time.

Been seeing a good amount of timber framing projects/questions lately, it would be nice to have them all in one place. :D

Wow!

Sure am glad someone brought this back.

I am building an Ash timber framed home and barn.

Probably use my Iron Head skills to join with steel straping.

Thanks so much for the pics.

some future beams;

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back