board certified master

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmack

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
does isa board certified master arborist hold more weight than the asca rca title ?

Last edited:
clearance said:
Wow, all them letters, what does it all mean?

Why doesn't this surprise me that it is over your head.

jmack, I would say they are about equal with ASCA title carrying a bit more credibility for now. The ISA title is still a new program. If TreeSeer could come out of hiding, he could answer this better. I think he carries both titles.

Larry

Last edited:
"does isa board certified master arborist hold more weight than the asca rca title ?

depends on who's doing the weighing where; what it's applied to. the rca is harder and more expensive and demonstrates that you know how to write. the bcma shows that you got 113 out of 150 write on a multiple choice test; not that easy.

Both are worthwhile if you sell your opinions. bcma is a springboard to rca in that it is worth 300 ceu's; same as 20 college courses, so it eases the application process for rca.

Hey, I love you all, just trying to show it is not to be taken too serious, c'mon, if you look at the most basic educational standards, this ISA thing is kind of like getting a religous degree to be a preacher through the mail. Well, maybe a little harder, not much. What gets me is people who think that they are something special cause of some letters after thier name. After all, Jmack asks not what is the most helpfull or teaches the most about trees, he asks "what carries more weight". Most weight to impress, no doubt.

TreeCo said:
J.P. Hallman and Clearance,

What are you two bozo's doing in a plant health thread?

Just in here to run down Arborist?

Get lost punks.

I do more for "plant" health than you'll ever be able to comprehend. I've got your "punk" swinging. I'm here without your invite so "F" off. If I make one person apply themself...through shame or whatever reasoning...good for them, I've done something. You're the one constantly looking for a fight.

Clearance, I can see your point, but let me ask this, even if the letters after a name don't mean anything isn't it better than just plain nothing??? Ever since I have been in tree business there has been an outcry for professionalism to raise the standards. The ISA took a good first step toward that goal, but it is like so many other things, a minority of arborists step forward toward advancing the standards of the industry, while the majority become nah sayers and chant why bother going to the expense and trouble of taking a stupid test it doesn't mean anything. A few letters after your name shows you at least made an attempt to better present yourself as a professional with some sort of documentation. If you want to be treated like a professional, then we have to play and act the part and a few letters after your name is a definite step in the right direction.

I myself feel a little more comfortable with the CA. certification. Why, because to me it is better than nothing, because if you have nothing then you are nothing.

If you guys think the test is so simple and easy, what is stopping you from taking it, even if it a rudimentary first step and passing it means nothing it sure isn't going to hurt you and you might be surprized at what you might learn that you didn't know before.

Larry

Last edited:
Ax-man said:
Clearance, I can see your point, but let me ask this, even if the letters after a name don't mean anything isn't it better than just plain nothing??? Ever since I have been in tree business there has been an outcry for professionalism to raise the standards. The ISA took a good first step toward that goal, but it is like so many other things, a minority of arborists step forward toward advancing the standards of the industry, while the majority become nah sayers and chant why bother going to the expense and trouble of taking a stupid test it doesn't mean anything. A few letters after your name shows you at least made an attempt to better present yourself as a professional with some sort of documentation.

I myself feel a little more comfortable with the CA. certification. Why, because to me it is better than nothing, because if you have nothing then you are nothing.

If you guys think the test is so simple and easy, what is stopping you from taking it, even if it a rudimentary first step and passing it means nothing it sure isn't going to hurt you and you might be surprized at what you might learn that you didn't know before.

Larry
Good post Larry, I am pleased you got my point. I think if the letters behind the name mean true competence that is good. However, I have met a few people who had the ISA colors prominently displayed but in reality were a few bricks short of a load, in regards to safety and common sense. So the letters, not always. The letters I have say C.U.A.-certified utilty arborist, granted by the government trade dept., I had to work 1200 hours around powerlines and go to utility school for 6 weeks over two years. Instructors watched and graded me climbing, many tests and a Provincial final (some of it was multiple choice!). In other words, I had to prove competence in the real world. I applaud people for increasing thier knowledge about trees, great, help the trees, not your ego.

Clearance, I don't know if the C.U.A is manditory or not, but it looks good and if you stay with the company it will be a credit in your favor for promotions. Even if you leave the company and go elsewhere, you can take those letters with you, gives you an edge over someone that doesn't have them. I can see your proud of those letters and were both on the same wave length. That is a good thing.

Larry

Larry, a CUA is the only man who is allowed by the utility and the workers comp. board (like OSHA) to work around power in BC, except for an apprentice CUA, who must be supervised by a CUA. I work in the bush now, windfirming trees so they don't blow down into creeks. This job pays twice the rate of a CUA, with none of the hassles, which are many. I do have it for life though, don't have to send money to anyone, got all the credits. You are right about it being an advantage to me, sometime I will use it again. Cheers

"No kidding...113 out of 150. Don't believe I'd have told anybody."

jp, that's the minimum passing score, 75%. I never said that was my score(which shall remain topsecret). at last count I heard 75 people had passed out of 113 that tried; that's why I say it's not that easy.

I'm a big Alex Trebek fan too! The champ today bet bold on the Daily Doubles and won em both. He'll be on top for a while, you think?

Jp, I'll bite and admit I don't know who Alex Trebek is. Honest I don't. I have been out of the loop lately for celebrities. I have heard the name but means nothing to me, I feel like I just fell into something I shouldn't have with this reply. Ok I'm ready let me have it with both barrels.

ax-boy ,Hmmmm

Larry

treeseer said:
"No kidding...113 out of 150. Don't believe I'd have told anybody."

jp, that's the minimum passing score, 75%. I never said that was my score(which shall remain topsecret). at last count I heard 75 people had passed out of 113 that tried; that's why I say it's not that easy.

I'm a big Alex Trebek fan too! The champ today bet bold on the Daily Doubles and won em both. He'll be on top for a while, you think?

113 out of 150 is less than 75%...barely. I don't think the lad tonight will last too long. He was in his element.
Now, back to the topic. I've never failed any test I've taken. No brag, just fact. Doesn't mean I'm smarter than the next. That's the point...certifications are only for other certified peoples satisfaction.

jp hallman said:
...certifications are only for other certified peoples satisfaction.

With this kind of attitude we might as well just become complacent and stagnate in our desire to learn more and not try to be better than what we already are.

Larry

Last edited:
Ax-man said:
With this kind of attitude we might as well just become complacent and stagnate in our desire to learn more and not try to be better than what we already are.

Larry

Wrong! Look at the original thread. "....hold more weight...?" Pitting one certification agaisnt the other. Education will be in the trees. Satisfied customers and healthy trees. In my case, entire forests. Certifications are a money maker for "associations" trying to sell what we all need to strive for regardless. I'm above "associations" You should be too. I learn something new everyday. Teach me something.

jmack said:
does isa board certified master arborist hold more weight than the asca rca title ?
Larry, I agree with you about education and ongoing learning, that is all good. I think Jmaks reasons/reason for wanting these letters is pretty well spelled out here. It looks like this one got batted right outta the park. Nailed it. Stopped the BS. Called a spade a spade.

Clear!
Perhaps "Larry" will buy us a shot...instead of taking one at us! Make mine single malt please. Then let's save the world...at least the wild part. "F" the citys.

Latest posts

Back