bobcat what size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am running an 08 New Holland L175, curb weight is 6200lbs with a rated lifting capacity of 2k. It isnt the largest or the smallest. I wanted to be in the middle of lifting capacity.

I do a mix of land clearing and residential, so when I need to tread light I have a Ditch Witch SK 500. If you are looking to have just one skid I dont think I would go on the heavy side.

You just have to decide if you want a heavy lifting capacity unit or can get by with a lighter cap. depends on what you are going to do with it.

I looked at all before I purchased. Bobcat isnt what it used to be, they arent made as solid as before, someone correct me but I think they were purchased by a Chinese co? John Deere makes a nice unit, but the cabs can be a pain unles you go with the new "D" series they came with this year. I love the "Super Boom" on the NH, vertical lift of 10' really makes loading trailer and dump truck easy. Cab is great for comfort. Cat makes one heck of a machine, but when you take it in for repair be prepared to pay through the nose.

Look at dealer support, who is close to you, can you get parts quick. When you get it narrowed down to the brand and model try and find every machine in the area and look them over. If you are going used really look at them close. These machines really get worked, weather in construction or on a farm. There are a lot of linkages, pins, bushings, etc. that need maint. and if not maintained they can get spendy to fix.

Once you have one you wont look back, depending on the type of work you are doing. They are amazing machines and really speed things up on a job site.

Sorry for the long winded post......Good luck with your search, by the time I purchased I was sick of looking!

i do mostly residential, and people can be very picky about their yards. i've had two bobcats, and i have purchased a 450 and a 443. The 450 was great, but i much preferred the diesel option on the 443.

i don't know much about the bigger machines with the exception that the price tag and the maintanence costs are higher. i use the bobcats on the job site and sometimes around the farm - but mostly i use tractor loaders around my place since yard damage isn't really a concern of mine.

i'd like to purchase a walk behind at some point, i've heard great things about those.

Depends on where you do the majority of your work. We do residential in the city so we went with a Vermeer mini. Works great, you can get into a lot of really tight areas, they run on the typical city sidewalk or one sheet of plywood. If the majority of my work was in the suburbs or rural, I'd go with a bigger skid loader, maybe the A300.

I'm not a Bobcat fan, as mentioned above, they are now owned by Dywoo or somehting like that, I think Korean. BUT the "A" series (for All wheel steer) would be perfect for work on lawns. They can switch from skid steering to the wheels actually turning, (left turn = front wheels turning left and rear wheels turning right) it's a neat set up but may be pricy. It will save on tire wear for sure! As far as the size you're prolly best off in the upper side of the middle, 2000lb. rating, much easier to transport and no matter how big you buy, just like your truck, saw, chipper, etc. you'll allways want one bigger! Just the nature of a working guy, (I know that I can get 6 gal. in this 5 gal. bucket) Good luck.

Bobcat

We have a Bobcat A300 and trust me, it is the best one. Saves so much time and have had it for 3-4 years and didn't have to bring it for any repair. I would recommend this one for size, versatility, and less damage to lawn because of the turf friendly tires. The bucket is for hauling away wood/sawdust from grindings, and we use the fork for extra long 20-30 feet and have someone else who takes the wood away. Plus winter time there is no problem getting to trees with Aerial Lift - you can move all the snow into one/few piles.

Yep, I'd have to agree, you should check out the A300 bobcat. I've got a S250 and I like it a lot, its a strong machine. It can be hard on lawns though, if you make more than one or two passes. I also do grading work and brush clearing with mine, but for tree work on lawns, the A300 with the turf tires would be great. If you get the high flow option, you can run a stump grinder on it. You can pick up some heavy wood with that machine, its rated for 3000 lbs at full lift height. A skid steer is awesome on a job site, you can pull or push trees over, load logs, grind stumps, pull up posts or shrubs, move rocks, grade dirt, clean up rakings, all while listening to the radio and chilling in the AC.

Last edited:
Dealer support should be one of the first things to consider. We are running a 246B Cat machine and it works good for us. Need to look what you will be dumping in to and be able to reach over the sides and pack the brush. This really speeds everything up and was a huge bonus that I had not considered. We have a chipper but we can usually go and dump the brush, and not have the man power and expenses that goes with a chipper.

I had thought that the a300 would be a great machine but it is heavy. I use a tractor with turf tires that is a lot lighter and still have to be very careful about ruts.

a300

I have owned A300 since 2007.Great machine I have forks for long logs.Snow plow with it.Never had a problem with any thing..I have turf tires.I use plywood if ground is wet or dry.It can pick up some big pieces.

Back