BobL's next CS mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a travel limiter inside the springs allowing tension and movement but hopfully no derailment? On a side note I am working on an Orline chainsaw(about the smallest saw made) and it has a spring bar adjuster and no screw.

Good idea. If I could work out what maximum chain tension a chain could sustain and then find the right springs that delivered that tension in their fully closed state then best way to set this up would be with the springs fully closed and then no travel limiter would be needed and it would correspondingly reduce the chances of derailment.

The primary purpose of the springs is to take up the chain slack dues to chain expansion as the chain warms up. This is a problems particularly at the start of a cut in dry hard Aussie hardwoods when the chains warms up and expands much faster than the bar. The other time is near the end of a long wide cut when the chain is getting blunt and its temperature and expansion further increases.

If you can do it I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the Orline chain adjust mechanism.

Last edited:
It is very simple, there is a long cotter key in place of the adjuster screw and a fairly stout spring behind the tang that goes into the bar. I havent actually put the bar on yet to see if it is a challenge to get it all on.

Here was spring loaded outboard nose
attachment.php

Following a suggestion from Jerry machined up some custom spring retainers - so here they are.
attachment.php

Bob,

The retainers look great. They will keep the spring from walking from side to side. Doss the spring seam to have better spring tension now to keep the nose piece from recoiling when you rev the motor?

Also, the next time you take the clutch off your 088, could you measure the crankshaft OD. I'm trying to find a clutch rim that will accept a shaft diameter of 5/8" (.625") and is a 3-1/2" diameter clutch rim. Thanks

I can't find any info listing the crankshaft diameters for various saws.

jerry-

The retainers look great. They will keep the spring from walking from side to side. Doss the spring seam to have better spring tension now to keep the nose piece from recoiling when you rev the motor?
Thanks jerry, I have been so busy I haven't had time to try it out yet.

Also, the next time you take the clutch off your 088, could you measure the crankshaft OD. I'm trying to find a clutch rim that will accept a shaft diameter of 5/8" (.625") and is a 3-1/2" diameter clutch rim.

You might be better off posting this on the CS forum because it will hopefully be a while before I have to do that.

B#M jockey wheels

The wheels and axels come from a beat up cement mixer frame I picked up on the verge about 20 houses down our street during one of our twice annually city council major garbage pick ups. The strange thing about the cement mixer was the near new set of wheels on it. Frame is made up from some SHS scraps I had left over from another project. Like the wheels in the BIL mill they temporarily bolt onto the T-track of the mill rails.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So, it's all ready to go mill wood, but my van insurance people are still sorting out my case so still no van to take the new mill to the milling site. Besides, it's going to be 95 F today so I think I'll be staying inside in the air conditioning.

Last edited:
Looks like a tank. To hot already. I bet you wish you were back in Calgary?

Looking forward to seeing it mill.:popcorn:

Looks like a tank.
Yeah it does - I', still trying to figure out where to put the artillery piece!

To hot already. I bet you wish you were back in Calgary?
Yes - and no. I like this time of the year here - the mornings are still cool and theres bit of an easterly breeze. If I get up early enough I can get a few things done in the shed or outside, even milling up to mid-day is possible since the heat is fairly dry and I'm prepared to sweat if I'm enjoying myself. Sometime in Feb it becomes more humid and then it's too uncomfortable

Looking forward to seeing it mill.:popcorn:
So am I :)

So far there's nothing really different with the design of this mill so I thought I'd throw in something different and just play with it and see if I can get it to work.

Here's a shot of the nose.
attachment.php

Here's a close up of the top part of the nose.
attachment.php

Here's the view from the end of the mill
attachment.php

And here's the underneath.
attachment.php
hey bud ,did you ever take this out for a run??? looks like a win :msp_thumbsup:

Nup - It's still 99% finished and sitting in my shed - never been used in anger - I'm waiting for my health to improve before I do any milling. Could be soon.
well hope you get the chaps back on soon mate ,your threads/milling ideas are true blue aussie innovation. let us know how she works out ...cheers

well hope you get the chaps back on soon mate ,your threads/milling ideas are true blue aussie innovation. let us know how she works out ...cheers

Cheers mate - Building myself a new workshop, my day job, and health issues have really put a dent in my milling this year. I need to get the workshop at least into the home straight so I can get back to some milling. I started about this time last year building and re-fitting my workshop by adding a 20 x 13 ft wing to an 30+ year old 17 x 12 ft space. Now the 20 x 13 space is more or less complete I'm gutting the old space and redoing the floor and inner and outer walls. I know this is an arse-about way of doing stuff but the city would let me gut the old workshop and put up a totally new one - the reasons are long and complicated but it did solve the problem of what to do with my stuff ie build an extension - put all the junk from the old one into the new one - and then rebuilding the old one. Remember I live about a mile from central Perth on a tiny 1/8th of an acre.

Spent the last weekend ripping up the concrete floor with a sledge hammer and carrying the bits out by barrow to the front (I have no side or rear vehicular access) which tested out my body. It reached about 95º and high humidity so I was totally knackered by the end of the day. The old floor was not level as it had slumped in one corner and besides it was a dodgy pour I did 33 years ago. Now I gotta bring back 4-5 wheelbarrows of brickies sand and the concretor is coming early next week to put down a new floor. Then I want to insulate and line the old walls and clad the outside in the same colorbond as the new one. So still a fair bit to do.

Bob, By the time you are done with demolition of concrete and hauling it by hand, chain saw milling is going to seam like a day off at the beach. Good luck, I am sure you are going to love your expanded shop.

Bob do you have any updates on your B3 mill project and the new shop? I always enjoy watching your projects progress. You seem to be able to figure a way to get 12 pounds in a 10 pound sack and still have room to work.

Latest posts

Back