Boiler Guys....Keep a Spare Circulating Pump on Hand and Know How to Change It

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
benp, you are a one good egg with some good advise about the spare pump!!
AGREED!!!! thanks to benp for sharing the story and the pics. I like that we all try to help each other out, and share encouraging stories here in the AS family. :)

my grundfos is 44 years old, i will get a new one and keep it close.

I recently bought 2 spare pumps for my boiler for $145. I too have valves on both inlets and outlets. I also added a fresh water fill valve in my plumbing, if I need to add I just open the valve for a few seconds and I'm done. If I figure out how to post pics I will post some of my manifold I put together.

the old pump on the boiler is a 3 speed type.no model #. just a amp rating!

New Grundfos is in the old Taco 011's spot as of yesterday.

Wasn't easy peasy. Had some issues after firing up. Line was air locked for a while. The temp never dropped on the stove after installation and the supply line to the the house got hot then the heat just dissipated.

Went and visited the neighbors through the woods for a while yesterday evening and the woodstove was flatlined temp wise when I got home. Probably the ONLY time I will be happy to see that. Everything was now working as it should.

All is well.

I'm going to talk to the neighbor about having a spare 011 and Grundfos on hand when they get home so downtime is minimal if this happens again.

New Grundfos is in the old Taco 011's spot as of yesterday.

Wasn't easy peasy. Had some issues after firing up. Line was air locked for a while. The temp never dropped on the stove after installation and the supply line to the the house got hot then the heat just dissipated.

Went and visited the neighbors through the woods for a while yesterday evening and the woodstove was flatlined temp wise when I got home. Probably the ONLY time I will be happy to see that. Everything was now working as it should.

All is well.

I'm going to talk to the neighbor about having a spare 011 and Grundfos on hand when they get home so downtime is minimal if this happens again.
glad it's up and running.:clap:
sounds like an ad. like a good neighbor benp is there.:cheers:

Just another observation, having been there myself: when keeping a spare pump, it really doesn't matter what model it is, as long as it fits the system. I have 007, 009 and 0010 pumps in my system, and had to replace the 0010 last year about this time as it crapped out on a Sunday evening when nothing was open. I had a spare 007 in the basement, all of my zone circs are 007's. I swapped out the 0010 for the 007. Guess what's still there and working fine? The 007. I keep at least one spare 007 as it's a generic replacement pump, the cheapest one Taco sells, and it will swap out in a pinch for almost anything else just to keep you running. Obviously it's a good idea to keep the "correct" spare but if you need an 0010 for example and have an 007 it will work to at least keep the system running while you find a proper replacement.

My plumber did tell me that once a pump is used in a system, it's better to leave it in there (at least the Taco pumps) as they tend to corrode and freeze up internally? Not sure I believe that, but I would hate to put in a spare $80 pump for 24 hours only to have to throw it away.

Latest posts

Back