Bone dry chain on a Jonsereds 80

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnglishCharlie

Reaction score
I have been using my trusty Jonsereds 80 for the last 30 years, and it has been running like a dream just recently - till today. The chain-oil reservoir is full, but the oil isn't coming through and the chain is seizing up. Thinking about it I realise I don't even know how the lubrication system works - is it forced through by heat expansion, or gravity, or is there some mechanism working off the crankshaft? As for problem - could there be some dirt in the reservoir blocking the outlet? Prefer to ask for advice from across the Big Pond before I start poking about!

On my Husqvarna 394 I had to (gently) push through the oil tube with a de-topped cotton swab. I took the cotton off to get it through the hole. Afterwards a big clump of grit & sawdust pushed through. Maybe this will help you. I'm not familiar with the layout on the 80.

I have been using my trusty Jonsereds 80 for the last 30 years, and it has been running like a dream just recently - till today. The chain-oil reservoir is full, but the oil isn't coming through and the chain is seizing up. Thinking about it I realise I don't even know how the lubrication system works - is it forced through by heat expansion, or gravity, or is there some mechanism working off the crankshaft? As for problem - could there be some dirt in the reservoir blocking the outlet? Prefer to ask for advice from across the Big Pond before I start poking about!
feild fix: drain oil, fill oiler w/ gas 1/4 full, recap shake it like hell, pour gas outta oiler see if the junk came free, fill with gas to brim start saw blast it free by cutting normally stop and check if the gas forced through, if its still full, go back to shop try to locate the oiler adjustment screw to regulate the flow of oil, if its still jammed retrace the oil hole with a piece of tie wire to clear the clog

I am assuming the 80 is similar to the 621 in construction. If it is not, these instructions will be incorrect.

The oiler is accessed through the front of the saw underneath and to the left of the muffler. It is driven off of the crankshaft on the clutch side. There are a series of o-rings which somehow allow the pumping action and move a plunger which creates the pumping action.

But first, I would check the inlet screen. That is located on the bottom right on the clutch side of the saw. Three screws and the inlet cover will come off. It is also doubles as the chain guard. It is shaped like a rounded triangle. Underneath this is the screen for the oiler. If it is clean, take a visual inspection of the hose inside the oiler tank. It should run from the bottom of the tank to the top(all inside the tank). It will be visible through the fill hole.

If the hose is connected and not rotted(I doubt it will be), then something is probably up with the oiler. I don't know if they interchange with other models, like the 621, but there are places to get oilers if you need them. To remove it, you have to take out the threaded plug. After that, I use a needle nose pliers and pull on the screw and it comes out as a unit. You might just need o-rings, but these are NLA. Again, you can get good used ones. There is a little plunger, spring, and washer at the end of the oiler, so make sure you don't lose them.

If you need parts for the saw, check with George Blake([email protected])

I hope it is an easy fix! Good luck.

Dry chain on a Jonsereds

Thanks to Aquan8tor, Jmack and Bama for suggestions. Printed them off and have them to hand - already covered with chain-oil and methylated spirit! I started to strip down the oiler system this evening (British time) but realised I needed some round-nosed pliers to get the pump mechanism out to inspect - got somewhere in the workshop, but wheeeeere? Will have to buy tomorrow. Will keep you all posted!

Another field fix.

Take the oiler cap off and put your mouth in it like a trumpet and blow hard.. LOL!!!!

You think that I am Joking?

adjuster

Thanks to Aquan8tor, Jmack and Bama for suggestions. Printed them off and have them to hand - already covered with chain-oil and methylated spirit! I started to strip down the oiler system this evening (British time) but realised I needed some round-nosed pliers to get the pump mechanism out to inspect - got somewhere in the workshop, but wheeeeere? Will have to buy tomorrow. Will keep you all posted!

I have an 80, and it has an oiler adjuster in the center of the plug below the muffler. My old owners manual says start with 1½ turns anti-clockwise from full snug closed. The hex fitting in the plug removes the pump parts - looks like about two dozen o-rings, balls, springs, etc. If you need the parts blowup I can probably get it to you somehow.

My 80 has been an absolute truck - still has the original points in it, fer cryin out loud! Runs great. Fix it
Jim

Latest posts

Back