Bonfire blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, that's three in a row. Tonight for the third time I went to a bonfire where the host was burning green wood. Tonight's wood was VERY green, but let me tell you the whole story. Sorry for the length. For you non readers, you'll have to go visit the WTF pictures thread.

Before we head out for our homeschool community bonfire, we pack the van with a lawn chair, some tiki torches and fuel, flashlights, bug spray, etc.
We show up and see the pile - a large pile of brush - maybe 15 feet across and 8 feet high. But it's all brush - nothing over 2 or 3 inches thick. The lower stuff looks dead, but a lot of stuff on top had green leaves. I didn't see any other wood around.
"Well" says I to myself and my wife, "this should be interesting. If that stuff on the bottom is dry, the fire should last about 1/2 hour."
About the time it gets dark, someone goes over to light the fire. I was off by the food table, chatting with friends, shaking hands and trying to remember names, and after a while I check on the progress. He's still there, putting small chunks of stuff on the tiny blaze he's got going. An empty bottle of lighter fluid is on the ground nearby. He's not having much luck. Apparently all the stuff on the bottom is green also. He's got a fair bit of smoke, and a steady blaze, but it's small, and not spreading. I make a comment about green wood, and he agrees with a shrug.

So I go back to chatting and stuffing my face. By this time he's got to the other side to hopefully get a second blaze going. He brought over some charcoal and more lighter fluid. Another guy shows up and he's putting handfuls of grass (cut yesterday) on the first fire. It blazes up for a moment, then dies away, since there's no kindling on top of his flash-in-the-pan. I decide I need to find a close friend to help me make fun of the situation, so I find Jack. He's a smart man and works with tractors.
"Tenderfeet." I say to Jack.
"What's that?" asks Jack.
"Tenderfeet. Green horns. City folk. Guys that don't know anything about fire. Look at them trying to get a fire going with green wood. It'll take all week before this thing smoulders itself out."
"Yeah," says Jack. "This isn't going so well. You should have brought some wood."
"I was seriously thinking about it. The last two bonfires I was at it was the same - green wood that smoked and stank, and didn't give off any heat."

By this time there are 4 or 5 guys on the pile trying to get things going, but that pile was green and wet - it's wasn't going to go up without a fight, and it was winning. We'd had a week's worth of rain lately.

We talk about diesel fuel for a while, and I finally go to the host's son (16 years old) and asked him for some diesel. He say's he's not going to get in trouble for passing out diesel at a bonfire - I'll have to go to his dad.

So dad and I head down to the garage for some fuel. He's out of diesel, but I mix a quart of 40w with an equal amount gasoline in a 5 gallon bucket and head back to the fire. His main concern is that I'm very careful with it. I'm no stranger to fire and gasoline, and I reassure him I have at least a clue as to what I'm doing.

Unfortunately, I have a rather large mouth and a twisted sense of humor. I get back to the bonfire, and there are 3 somewhat decent blazes going on in 3 different parts of the pile, and small groups of adults and kids are shivering nearby them. "Stand back!" I holler out. "I brought the gasoline!!" and I set down the 5-gallon bucket.

That was probably the wrong thing to say. Homeschoolers generally have a pretty good sense of humor and are rather easygoing about such things, but they are also rather protective of their kids. While I didn't exactly start a panic, there were some rather concerned faces. One dad came up to me and was about ready to wrestle me to the ground. "Hey, I really don't think you should do that," he said - not knowing exactly what I intend to do with 5 gallons of pure gasoline. I told him that it was mixed with oil to reduce the volatility to that of diesel, and that I was only going to dump a tiny bit on at a time. He remained unconvinced, and tried at some length to persuade me over, but I was not daunted. I told him I knew what I was doing (I really hate using that phrase, especially when I really DON'T know what I'm doing), and he finally gave it up. He grabbed his family and hurried back, taking out his phone camera to post online later, should it be worthy.

Hoping I'm not about to personally sponsor a 'hold my beer' moment, I put a couple ounces in a small cup and throw it onto the pile between two blazes. It wasn't near any flames (which was my intention - get an area a bit saturated before coaxing the flames over there), so nothing happened. A few scoops later I decide to throw a 'bridge' of fuel between the blaze and my soaking. It worked, and a lovely (and tiny) 'woosh' went up, sending that area up in flames beautifully. I moved on to another spot between blazes and repeat. I was soon out of fuel, but that wood was so stinking green that after 2 minutes there was nothing to show for my labor. I think to myself that a bellows or leaf blower would be just the thing, as the clouds of smoke drift upward, obscuring the stars.

I resigned myself to our communal fate, and decided to enjoy the light of the bonfire, if not the heat.

10 minutes later, Hans, a Lutheran pastor, finds a 2' square chunk of corrugated metal and starts to fan the flames. He gets a good blaze going - as good as my fuel mixture, and moves on to the second and third blazes. It looked to me like we finally had enough heat to get it burning well enough. I teased him loudly about being a preacher - what does he need the metal for if all he want's to do is produce a lot of air? He fanned a bit more, and I teased him about how well he's getting the fire nice and hot - has he been reading Jonathan Edwards lately? (A 19th century preacher who was very 'firey' himself). That one got a laugh out of him. He then passed the metal to me saying it was my turn.

Me and my big mouth.

So I fanned for a while, but it looked like he had already burned all the stuff worthy of a quick blaze, and my fanning did very little good at all. Just can't produce that air like a good Lutheran.

So I sat down next to Hans and complained about green wood, telling him that the next time I go to a bonfire, I'm bringing wood and kindling.

Kids were off who knows where, playing in the dark down at the creek or in the barn or in one of the 3 dilapidated buildings nearby. (This location used to be a farm). Hans, who loves puns, mentioned that we could have a barnfire instead of a bonfire. I decided to take the suggestion to the host. I found him nearby, and suggested that we move the bonfire 100 yards north and make a barnfire. He chuckled and mentioned how the wife would get upset, but that if I have any other suggestions, to please bring them to his attention for future consideration.

My wife, who is 5 months pregnant, was getting tired and suggested that we go home, but she didn't know how we're going to round up our 8 kids. I told her to sit down and leave it to me. I grabbed a light and started shining it in faces, looking for Petersons. I found my oldest, and alerted her to the situation. I then found a bundle of 3, and alerted them. I found another, and sent him off to find the remaining kids. Soon we had all but 2 and a shoe missing. After 10 minutes we found the shoe but no sign of the kids. I suggested we leave them here and pick them up in a week or two, but my wife reminded me that we're singing at Hans' church on Sunday, so we needed them all. After another 10 minutes one of them showed up. I asked her if she'd seen her brother, and she said he was down by the creek. 5 minutes later we're all in the van heading home, just when I remembered the tiki torches I brought along and forgot to take out of the van.

Yup - another successful Peterson adventure, and I'll be darned if I'm going to another bonfire without bringing some wood along. Next opportunity is in 30 hours.

Eight kids? With another one on the way?? :eek: It's times like this I wish A.S. had animation that looked like a male emoticon laying pipe to a female emoticon. That, unc, should be your signature down at the bottom lol, not all those pesky chainsaw models you typed in. :) Entertaining story though about those guys struggling with the bonfire. Maybe they should put you in charge, so's you're not fanning it at 3:00 am still trying to get it going.

City slickers will never learn , I should know I married one. . When it comes to wood burning most people are clueless and think a single match should light off a pile of sopping green branches . I see my neighbor try all the time . Good story I appreciate the home schooling and large family movement

Good story uncle... entertaining.
I can't imagine rounding-up 8 kids in the dark, on unfamiliar(?) ground... there's days I have trouble just keeping track of my 6-year-old in daylight, on home ground.

So... I've thought about asking this before, and didn't... but I'm gonna' now...
Is feedin' time at your house a free-for-all, organized chaos, or does FUBAR best describe it?? :D

My wife has mentioned many times how she would've loved to have a big family... I think she gets that from watchin' The Waltons :rolleyes:
Eight kids, plus you and the wife, with room for lawn chairs and tiki torches?? What the heck man, is the family vehicle a used school bus?? :D

City slickers will never learn...
Some do. My wife has adapted (learned) pretty good... although, she has had 23 years to do so.

So... I've thought about asking this before, and didn't... but I'm gonna' now...
Is feedin' time at your house a free-for-all, organized chaos, or does FUBAR best describe it?? :D

What the heck man, is the family vehicle a used school bus?? :D*

GEDC0157.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

IMG_2784.JPG
IMG_3945.JPG

I take pride in the fact that when ever I go a party that has a fire I get yelled at for making it too large. I probably would have pulled a few boards off the barn an maybe even scrounged up a spare barn door or beam to make a proper fire. Nothing bothers me more than watching people struggle to make flames, and it's worse when the wood is dry!

Funny story thanks for sharing. I recommend you install a roof rack on that bus of yours and come prepared with some shipping pallets for the fire. I like to throw 4-5 of them on at a time, it makes some good heat. 6 or more at one time makes people uncomfortably warm and they have to move back a few feet and that's my goal. Once they start complaining again because they underestimated the distance they moved in the first place I come by with another 3 pallets. :)

Here's the fire from last night. This was after about 45 minutes of work.

IMG_8590.JPG

At a funeral today, Bob walked up to me and asked if I was going to the bonfire tonight, and when I told him I was, he asked if I had any seasoned and dry firewood.
I laughed long and hard at that, and then told him of my woes. Here's what I'm bringing tonight. All well below 20%.

IMG_8591.JPG

Instead of tossing gas into/onto a fire, I put a few ounces of diesel or gas in a tin or aluminum can, or even an old coffee can and use a paper towel as a wick. It will provide a hot controlled flame for 5-20 minutes.

Nice... very, very nice unclemoustache
Looking at those pictures warms my heart... and I'm flat serious.
Any family that can survive eight kids, with no darn concerns over a ninth... well, man... your heart is so much larger than mine I'm actually jealous.
I do tip my hat.

Thanks, WS. I've had people tell me they'd like to stop by and sit on the sofa and just watch the family. The Dugggers have really changed people's attitudes about large families, for which I am grateful.

I actually find the Duggar family to be a bit boring. You want excitement, come visit the Petersons! Our family phrase is 'never a dull moment.' Just today - a boring Sunday morning - my wife played organ at a church in St. Louis while the rest of (Peterson Family Singers) sang at another church. We had a bit of extra time so we picked some f soybeans from a nearby field and chatted about harvest and production and how much we thought we could do if we did it all by hand. Then my older son drove us home (he's got his permit) and my older daughter made lunch. Now we rest by the fire for a bit before we head out to do our regular family Sunday Adventure. :rock:

There's a great quote from the early days of America. I've not been able to find out who said it yet, but it runs something like this:
"Children are such a financial blessing that I find it hard to believe the average family has only seven living children."

Of course, that was spoken mostly for farmers and those who were able to raise their own food, rather than getting it all from a store, not to mention the fact that kids could legally earn money for their labors without all kinds of government restrictions on child labor.

My kids certainly do many chores around the house, and next year I told them they could earn money from the firewood business, now that the income from this year went to pay for the splitter.

BTW, bonfire last night was great. Lovely blaze, cool breeze and I learned a new (old) game - Kubb (pronounced 'koob').

I have mixed used oil and gas to get a green pile of brush burning many times. Usually cut the top off a aluminum can and pour a little on at a time to get a section dried out. Works great as long as the wind isn't blowing towards the city's Assistant fire chief 's house that lives a block over.

The trick is to get two or three spots lit simultaneously. Once that happens the separate fires will join and you will be off.

Green leaves don't make for a pleasant fire though.

Back