boom lift rentals?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa, the guy tries to give you sage advice and you slash back at him.

Bigger balls doesn't equal more brains.

A friend I know always says, "it's the guys with the biggest balls that end up knocking them off".

And if your using your crapsman chainsaw, I'd say you have huge balls. :laugh:

I say if you can accomplish the task with one of those saws that would mean you are pretty dam good actually.:dizzy:

I have a few trees around the yard that need to be trimmed and cut down that are over the house, electric lines, and so on. I wanted to rent a boom lift or something like that so i could cut down myself. Calling in a tree service is very expensive and could save a lot buy renting a boom lift and doing the work myself. Also I would benefit with other things around the yard. I called a rental company but they wont rent to homeowners. Any other ideas and suggestions?

Yeah, I've got a suggestion....

Make sure your health insurance, life insurance, and homeowners insurance are all paid up before you start.......you're likely to use two of the three.

You're totally clueless, and in the long run you'll end up costing yourself far more dollars than you would have by hiring a pro to drop the stuff to begin with. Do you wonder at all if your homeowners will cover damage caused by you?

Ever think maybe that dropping the service line to the house could make things easier? :dizzy:

The power company does that for free. Anything near high voltage and transformers they'll trim for free.

But go ahead....I've got no doubts that the $506 is the tip of the iceberg for your spending on this one.

Yeah, I've got a suggestion....

Make sure your health insurance, life insurance, and homeowners insurance are all paid up before you start.......you're likely to use two of the three.

You're totally clueless, and in the long run you'll end up costing yourself far more dollars than you would have by hiring a pro to drop the stuff to begin with. Do you wonder at all if your homeowners will cover damage caused by you?

Ever think maybe that dropping the service line to the house could make things easier? :dizzy:

The power company does that for free. Anything near high voltage and transformers they'll trim for free.

But go ahead....I've got no doubts that the $506 is the tip of the iceberg for your spending on this one.

How about this... You guys are clueless! If you can tell me about my situation and from your chair. You guys are good... very good! you dont even know the size or anything about the tress. I work on high voltage at work, single phase going to my house is nothing. Electric companies will not disconnect and reconnect service for free anywhere around here. I did plenty service upgrades and I have no problem connecting live. AGAIN you dont know my situation and I shouldnt have to explain. I already had the electric company out, they called out the forestry department and I threw the guys a really nice tip for a few extra things.

I bought 2 crapsman (i agree) for $200 (one new other on ebay) and has been working out great! Originally i was going to buy a $600 stihl in the begining of this, but for what i need it for I could buy 5 crapsman and throw them away when they broke, but wait they are still working great. For this job my buddy has a nice light 14" stihl that he is bring over for this job.

Thanks for the few for the suggestions...

to the others your doing great with that post count, keep it up! Thanks for taking this off topic and assuming without asking any questions!

to the others your doing great with that post count, keep it up! Thanks for taking this off topic and assuming without asking any questions!

nobody has to assume anything. fact is you are unqualified to dismantle a tree in the air via a bucket or climbing, especially anywhere remotely around power. you have no experience doing so and this work should be left to a professional. not you, your craftsmans or your buddy. this is why the rental company would not rent you a lift. they do not trust joe cheapskate and his craftsman. He doesnt want you breaking his equipment and or getting hurt. the electric company does not want you working around lines either. this is why they wont do a service drop for you, but they would for us licensed professionals. Do you see the pattern? Joe keepskate, know your limits, get a clue, you have had many.

The reason why our insurance rates are so high is because of unskilled joe cheapskates racking up those injury %'s.

if I can find it I will post the link article of the recent death in toms river, NJ rented genie lift, by a licensed tree co, but untrained EHAP/utility arborist. These guys went beyond their limits. You are attempting at going even further. Good luck Joe Cheapskate.

nobody has to assume anything. fact is you are unqualified to dismantle a tree in the air via a bucket or climbing, especially anywhere remotely around power. you have no experience doing so and this work should be left to a professional. not you, your craftsmans or your buddy. this is why the rental company would not rent you a lift. they do not trust joe cheapskate and his craftsman. He doesnt want you breaking his equipment and or getting hurt. the electric company does not want you working around lines either. this is why they wont do a service drop for you, but they would for us licensed professionals. Do you see the pattern? Joe keepskate, know your limits, get a clue, you have had many.

The reason why our insurance rates are so high is because of unskilled joe cheapskates racking up those injury %'s.

if I can find it I will post the link article of the recent death in toms river, NJ rented genie lift, by a licensed tree co, but untrained EHAP/utility arborist. These guys went beyond their limits. You are attempting at going even further. Good luck Joe Cheapskate.

+1 well said

you get a lot of posts in here were guys ask for advice and they are told to get a pro to do the work. On quite a few I sometimes shake my head and say damn even if I didnt do tree work I could and would do that.

Well this is not one of those situations. There may have been several posts were guys said get a pro because they get offended that joe homeowner thinks their job is so easy. This is not in that category This is serious business even if you have screwed in a few light bulbs before this is dangerous stuff.

Man Electrocuted While Trying To Trim Tree

Posted: 1:51 pm EDT July 8, 2009
SANIBEL, Fla. -- Authorities say a man in west Florida was electrocuted while attempting to trim a tree.

Sanibel Police Chief Bill Tomlinson says David Lewis, 42, of Cape Coral, was electrocuted Wednesday on Sanibel.

Tomlinson says Lewis owned a tree service. While in the tree, Lewis cut a tree branch which fell and struck a power line.

Authorities say Lewis was pronounced dead on the scene.

I'm not even sure why they sell chainsaws to the homeowners. It should be that only licensed tree fellers are allowed to purchase chainsaws. If fact, sears and everyone else shouldnt sell any tools, only to professionals. Hey, why is this forum here? whats the point?

Honestly I dont care or have any interest in the toms river article! I am getting the boom lift to make things easier instead of climbing the tree. IMHO its would be easier to cut from a lift than hanging from the tree, besides hanging would be cheaper. I am sure there are really technical tree work that I shouldnt do and had 2 different guys come in and take care of those. For what i am doing i know I can handle it. The way you talk no homeowner should own a chainsaw and/or cut even a 10' tree down!

If nothing else you have shown yourself to be a very pompous know-it-all that certainly doesn't need the advice of folks on this board.

Yes, you can buy 5 of those crapsman saws for the price of a quality saw. At the end of the day your doing the task with a crapsman saw. Tell me though, did you get "Sears Best"? :laugh:

Honestly, you have displayed such an arrogance in the tone of your messages, I don't think anyone really cares what the outcome is at this point...I know I don't...nuff said...:notrolls2: (and I'm going to take my own advice)
:eek:uttahere:

I'm not even sure why they sell chainsaws to the homeowners. It should be that only licensed tree fellers are allowed to purchase chainsaws. If fact, sears and everyone else shouldnt sell any tools, only to professionals. Hey, why is this forum here? whats the point?

Honestly I dont care or have any interest in the toms river article! I am getting the boom lift to make things easier instead of climbing the tree. IMHO its would be easier to cut from a lift than hanging from the tree, besides hanging would be cheaper. I am sure there are really technical tree work that I shouldnt do and had 2 different guys come in and take care of those. For what i am doing i know I can handle it. The way you talk no homeowner should own a chainsaw and/or cut even a 10' tree down!

Don't ask me why I am putting my 2 cents in here. I am brand new to this forum and I joined to ask a simple question about lightweight pole pruners but this thread really got my attention. Yes, I own a Stihl chain saw and have done a little bit of cutting and minor tree work over the years. I don't know much, but I do know one thing for sure - there is a tremendous and lethal amount of potential energy stored in tree branches. Unless you are highly trained and/or experienced, it is not easy to predict how the main tree and severed branch are going to react once they are separated. Getting access and making the cut, even with a junk chain saw, is the easy part. The worst thing that can happen here is maybe cutting off your leg but you can get some good Kevlar chaps to guard against that. The tricky part is being in the right place when the tree's potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. Good-luck. I think you are going to need it.

I'd like to see the Tom Rivers article..:monkey:

Man Electrocuted While Trying To Trim Tree

Posted: 1:51 pm EDT July 8, 2009
SANIBEL, Fla. -- Authorities say a man in west Florida was electrocuted while attempting to trim a tree.

Sanibel Police Chief Bill Tomlinson says David Lewis, 42, of Cape Coral, was electrocuted Wednesday on Sanibel.

Tomlinson says Lewis owned a tree service. While in the tree, Lewis cut a tree branch which fell and struck a power line.

Authorities say Lewis was pronounced dead on the scene.

If nothing else you have shown yourself to be a very pompous know-it-all that certainly doesn't need the advice of folks on this board.
I'm the know it all? you and captin :angrysoapbox: john are at your computer telling me how to do the job without seeing it! :monkey: I am all over the net searching for advise and giving advise, not looking stupid remarks.
Yes, you can buy 5 of those crapsman saws for the price of a quality saw. At the end of the day your doing the task with a crapsman saw. Tell me though, did you get "Sears Best"? :laugh:
Whats the point? i already agreed its a crapsman :deadhorse:
Honestly, you have displayed such an arrogance in the tone of your messages, I don't think anyone really cares what the outcome is at this point...I know I don't...nuff said...:notrolls2: (and I'm going to take my own advice)
:eek:uttahere:
I am not that active on this forum, but belong to a lot and a mod on one! i am very diversified and accomplished a lot of things. On all my online forums, never been spoken to with such lack of respect and ignorance! When i give advise to others or participate in online discussions I always give respect. There was a much better way john could of came across to get his point out there. Not for nothing but when people talk that way people dont tend to take that advise. Not that it is right or wrong, subconsciously one will not listen. In the end he doest know anything about me or the situation, so he didnt have to come accross like that. Not that his point couldnt be valid, his delivery is horrible. Not sure how he owns a tree service. Sure not a people person... Stay up in the tree!

I don't know much, but I do know one thing for sure - there is a tremendous and lethal amount of potential energy stored in tree branches. Unless you are highly trained and/or experienced, it is not easy to predict how the main tree and severed branch are going to react once they are separated. Getting access and making the cut, even with a junk chain saw, is the easy part. The worst thing that can happen here is maybe cutting off your leg but you can get some good Kevlar chaps to guard against that. The tricky part is being in the right place when the tree's potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. Good-luck. I think you are going to need it.
I heard and seen clips of people cutting branches off and the tree swaying and knocking them off the ladder. I had to cut a huge branch about 25' high over my drive way. I ended up tieing the ladder off to the tree. Worked out great, It would of been much easier if i had the lift. I could stand comfortably and at perfect position. Its all about physics, your right!
Thank you for your advise.

Last edited:
Dear Joe Cheapskate,

Yes I was a bit harsh to you and I do not apologize. I really have no respect for someone who thinks they can grab a craftsman and a rented lift and do what us professionals do. It takes years of training to go up in a boom and "cut trees over house, electric lines and so on" Surely the first time one of my emploees goes up in the air it is no higher than a 30ft tree and is away from all hazards and that's after he becomes a certified aerial lift and certified utlity operator, and has spent years on the ground(watching the action in the air) running ropes and understanding the line of work. Your lack of respect for our trade shows much more ignorance than my post. You still seem to think you're capable, you are not!

I did sleep better last night knowing I atleast provided my 2 cents to another Joe Cheapskate. If my posts didnt make you think about it a bit further I can only hope the other homeowners reading benefited.

it is illegal to work within 10ft of power without cert in NJ. your state may be different

You mean primarys, right? the same 10" everywhere then, thats based on
osha requirements I believe. and common sense, I stay at a total distance,
I don't even want to swing over em.
and I'm also a licensed master electrician.

This guy wants to cut over triplex, let him burn his house down. I put big trees on the ground every day for $300 -$400.
if he can do it, more power to him.

Dave

i know theres a pro in his area that will come and put them on the ground for cheaper then he paying for the lift. ah who cares all i wanna know

when you doing the job Mustangous my advice not being a :censored: is hire a pro they have insurence and things can go wrong no matter how easy it seams worked this biz for a cpl years now seen a guy who been doing tree work for 25 years take out lots of lines with one cut rotted maple notch backcut explode it just fell over backwords he is also a cert Arborist since the early 90s work ROW for about 6 years and is a certified to work around wires

all im saying is IF it goes bad its gonna be real bad your gonna destroy your house or yourself, them transformers are quite expensive to so as that electirized tree is laying on wire and boom that power gonna go back where it came from and blow that up so now your fried your house is smashed your a couple grand in the hole fixing your neighbors power, plus your house cause i know homeowners are gonna be like what did he do?,, no were not paying for that

sorry but ive seen great balls of fire running up and down the line and its not cool

on the other hand anyone know where i can learn more about electrical saftey??

You mean primarys, right? the same 10" everywhere then, thats based on
osha requirements I believe. and common sense, I stay at a total distance,
I don't even want to swing over em.
and I'm also a licensed master electrician.

This guy wants to cut over triplex, let him burn his house down. I put big trees on the ground every day for $300 -$400.
if he can do it, more power to him.

Dave
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: I already had the forestry out, I had the electric company call them. The lines in the street, the linegoing to your house is theirs, except the anchor that is screwed into the house. They will take care of any issues there. As i said i threw the guys a nice tip to do a few other things there. Its DONE! there are no primaries in front of my house, only secondaries any way.. I am at the end of the line...
i know theres a pro in his area that will come and put them on the ground for cheaper then he paying for the lift. ah who cares all i wanna know

when you doing the job Mustangous my advice not being a :censored: is hire a pro they have insurence and things can go wrong no matter how easy it seams worked this biz for a cpl years now seen a guy who been doing tree work for 25 years take out lots of lines with one cut rotted maple notch backcut explode it just fell over backwords he is also a cert Arborist since the early 90s work ROW for about 6 years and is a certified to work around wires

all im saying is IF it goes bad its gonna be real bad your gonna destroy your house or yourself, them transformers are quite expensive to so as that electirized tree is laying on wire and boom that power gonna go back where it came from and blow that up so now your fried your house is smashed your a couple grand in the hole fixing your neighbors power, plus your house cause i know homeowners are gonna be like what did he do?,, no were not paying for that
]

I really dont think i am going to have to even use a chain saw on the lift. mostly my branch cutter. Thats how little these branches are. I will probably trim all the branches off little by little and go from there. Honestly if i had to, which i diont thing i need to, I know how to cut the branches to make the do what i want, swing, fall straight down, tie somewhere else, bla bla bla. It will just take me long then a guy who does it everyday. Hate to hurt your guys feelings, but this aint that hard, especially being basically twigs... I think what makes it harder is being in the tree and having to predict what the tree will do to you after the branch is cut off, tieing off, ect, but would be able to get up there, tree is too small. But with physics and being on a lift i can position myself out of the way and be in a safe cutting position. You really make me laugh though... Maybe its just my background and engineering degrees including in eletrical, but i think this is FAR from rocket science...

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: I already had the forestry out, I had the electric company call them. The lines in the street, the linegoing to your house is theirs, except the anchor that is screwed into the house. They will take care of any issues there. As i said i threw the guys a nice tip to do a few other things there. Its DONE! there are no primaries in front of my house, only secondaries any way.. I am at the end of the line...

I really dont think i am going to have to even use a chain saw on the lift. mostly my branch cutter. Thats how little these branches are. I will probably trim all the branches off little by little and go from there. Honestly if i had to, which i diont thing i need to, I know how to cut the branches to make the do what i want, swing, fall straight down, tie somewhere else, bla bla bla. It will just take me long then a guy who does it everyday. Hate to hurt your guys feelings, but this aint that hard, especially being basically twigs... I think what makes it harder is being in the tree and having to predict what the tree will do to you after the branch is cut off, tieing off, ect, but would be able to get up there, tree is too small. But with physics and being on a lift i can position myself out of the way and be in a safe cutting position. You really make me laugh though... Maybe its just my background and engineering degrees including in eletrical, but i think this is FAR from rocket science...

its not rocket sceince its tree sceince
i see the problem though he is cutting a twig over the lines thats why he not worried its a different story when you got a 35' long limb sticking straight over some power then it gets interesting sounds like my 3 year old daughter can do what you need to do

glad your gonna get your money out of that lift painting your house.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back