Boots,& Logger's tie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpvjr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wesco, or Viberg? (I currently use Red Wing 953's in PA.)
How do you make a "logger's tie"? pics?

I have Wesco calks. Beware the cost of replacement spikes. They are Wesco's "exclusive" design meaning that they only make the spikes that will fit. They cost $40 or so a set. I think it works out to 50 cents a spike and they wear down fast. Otherwise, they're good boots. I'm trying out some Guaranteed To Last Longer Than Your Boots laces. They should wear out this year. I'll see if I can get a free pair. Of laces that is.

viberg are top of the line boots. hand made in victoria b.c. i have two pairs and couldn't be happier with them. www.workboot.com

the loggers tie: after you've laced up all the loops, instead of pushing the end of each lace through the top eye, you push a loop through:
attachment.php

then put the end each lace through the opposite loop you made:
attachment.php

then cinch it up and tie a bow (loop swoop and pull or the rabbit ear method).

i found a pair of whites work well for me, but not everyone. i got the low heel...

also, i use leather laces (some places have crappy laces, other good) cause regular laces wear thru my eyelets and damage the leather...

i found a pair of whites work well for me, but not everyone. i got the low heel...

also, i use leather laces (some places have crappy laces, other good) cause regular laces wear thru my eyelets and damage the leather...

Good advice on the leather laces. I have a pair of wesco's with an eyelet worn through. I've gone back to leather now.

Andy

viberg are top of the line boots. hand made in victoria b.c. i have two pairs and couldn't be happier with them. www.workboot.com

the loggers tie: after you've laced up all the loops, instead of pushing the end of each lace through the top eye, you push a loop through:
attachment.php

then put the end each lace through the opposite loop you made:
attachment.php

then cinch it up and tie a bow (loop swoop and pull or the rabbit ear method).

Well, the "logger's tie" sounds convoluted, but I put a reef knot on just about everything:) .
The other thing is I'll be ordering 1 or the other brand but with all eyes (I bust hooks faster than machines can make them). I have tiny feet, made smaller from frostbite (once in PA, once in Afghanistan):censored: . I lost 3 toes, so it'll depend on who makes a narrower boot.

Well, the "logger's tie" sounds convoluted, but I put a reef knot on just about everything:) .
The other thing is I'll be ordering 1 or the other brand but with all eyes (I bust hooks faster than machines can make them). I have tiny feet, made smaller from frostbite (once in PA, once in Afghanistan):censored: . I lost 3 toes, so it'll depend on who makes a narrower boot.

White's or Wesco will both custom make your boots to fit your feet. I still have all my toe's, they're just kinda wadded up.
The only problem with the custom boot's is that you'll never be able to go back to over the counter boot's.

Andy

viberg will custom make boots for you. give them a call, they have really good customer service too, i was just in their shop a few days ago. as for the hooks falling off, i've beaten the crap out of these boots in the worst ground that gets logged (the really steep billy-goat single stem ground) and haven't had a single problem with the boots. i got them in 2004 and there hasn't been a single issue with them. the boots there are the model 105 caulk boots. i also have a pair of the model 155 smoke jumpers i wear when i'm forest fire fighting, once again, i have nothing but the best regards for viberg. they take a while to break in, but once they're broken in, they're fantastic.

on a side note, when i was looking for a pair of forest fire fighting boots (they usually dont let us wear caulks because a lot of the helicopters we go up in are contracted from fancy pants city companies...i figure they could put some rubber matts on the floor, but that would be too simple and effective...) anyways and i went into several places, one of which was a well respected cobbler and he said, don't buy any of the boots i have here (he doesn't make his own, he sells name brands and repaires boots), go down to victoria and buy a pair of vibergs. so he basically turned away my business in my best interest.

having said that i can't honestly say i've worn whites or wescos, but basically everybody that works in the bush here on the coast wears vibergs. except when its really wet, then everybody wears the Viking Timberwolf boots (click here). also really good boots.

Last edited:
viberg will custom make boots for you. give them a call, they have really good customer service too, i was just in their shop a few days ago. as for the hooks falling off, i've beaten the crap out of these boots in the worst ground that gets logged (the really steep billy-goat single stem ground) and haven't had a single problem with the boots. i got them in 2004 and there hasn't been a single issue with them. the boots there are the model 105 caulk boots. i also have a pair of the model 155 smoke jumpers i wear when i'm forest fire fighting, once again, i have nothing but the best regards for viberg. they take a while to break in, but once they're broken in, they're fantastic.

on a side note, when i was looking for a pair of forest fire fighting boots (they usually dont let us wear caulks because a lot of the helicopters we go up in are contracted from fancy pants city companies...i figure they could put some rubber matts on the floor, but that would be too simple and effective...) anyways and i went into several places, one of which was a well respected cobbler and he said, don't buy any of the boots i have here (he doesn't make his own, he sells name brands and repaires boots), go down to victoria and buy a pair of vibergs. so he basically turned away my business in my best interest.

having said that i can't honestly say i've worn whites or wescos, but basically everybody that works in the bush here on the coast wears vibergs. except when its really wet, then everybody wears the Viking Timberwolf boots (click here). also really good boots.

My guess is that you can't wear spikes in a chopper due to E/S. hazard. I knew Marines (I was Navy, then PAARNG), in the fleet who would be ordered to get rid of their jungle boots once the spike plate became exposed in their sole. How long do you think your Vibergs'll last (including resoles)? If I could get 5 yrs out of 'em like I do my Red Wings I'll be a happy camper.

My guess is that you can't wear spikes in a chopper due to E/S. hazard. I knew Marines (I was Navy, then PAARNG), in the fleet who would be ordered to get rid of their jungle boots once the spike plate became exposed in their sole. How long do you think your Vibergs'll last (including resoles)? If I could get 5 yrs out of 'em like I do my Red Wings I'll be a happy camper.

i honestly don't know how long they will last, they've lasted real well so far. have had the caulks for 4 years, although they haven't been used frequently the last 2 years, and my smoke jumpers i've had for over 2 years and they've been abused a lot in the 2 years. i would definately expect them to last well over 5 years though. the only thing tha tmight have to be done is touch up a bit of stitching once in a while (like every year or so) and that costs like 10-20 at a cobbler. clearance has posted a lot about his experience with (and seems to highly recommend) vibergs as well. if you want some more info maybe shoot him a PM. sounds like he's spent a lot of time in vibergs. i imagine the only reason they dont' have such a massive following south of the border and elsewear is because they probably don't have a large distribution out there. here in southwest b.c. everybody in the bush wears vibergs.

in the logging industry people wear caulks in helicopters all the time. i used to wear them in helicopters when i was doing forest engineering. the higher-ups told us we can't wear them because the companies that contract machines to us are usually city helicopters they don't want scrapes and dimples on the floor from caulks.

I bought a new pair of redwings mid last year...they lasted me 7 months before i blew out the side of them...I'm looking into getting a set of Wesco's now...as soon as i get the scratch...they seem like good boots

I bought a new pair of redwings mid last year...they lasted me 7 months before i blew out the side of them...I'm looking into getting a set of Wesco's now...as soon as i get the scratch...they seem like good boots

If you didn't leap over the Empire State Bldg in a single bound,(which might damage your boots) RW will repair them free at a cobbler. My non-work boot is a RW 952 (a short version of the 953) I've had them for 16 yrs. I had them resoled 3x & never once payed.

Things have changed for Red Wing. They are building boots to compete with all the import brands.
You can still get their hand made boots, but you have to get your dealer to order them out of the back of the catolog.

If you didn't leap over the Empire State Bldg in a single bound,(which might damage your boots) RW will repair them free at a cobbler. My non-work boot is a RW 952 (a short version of the 953) I've had them for 16 yrs. I had them resoled 3x & never once payed.

"normal wear" is what it was called...I'm paying to get them repaired.

I have a pair of the Viberg Lineman, at $500 a pair they better be good! Heavy if nothing else. I am going to buy another pair from them this spring, something a little lighter as I have gone to work in a plant/mine setting.

I bought the Vibergs. I now know how to fall down (I trip more in them than out of them). I have to either learn to walk, or just guzzle more vodka :dizzy:
Come to think of it, I like the vodka idea better, if I fall I won't feel it.:monkey:

Latest posts

Back