Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayC

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need logging/hiking boots for cutting and other woods adventures. I have a slightly wide forefoot and narrow heel, however, and most lower-end brands (Hermans, Timberland, etc) are built with wide heels and narrow fronts these days. Most boots these days also have cloth interiors, which is absolutely unacceptable - I blow through them in a week. Price is no object - I just need a 100% leather (inside too) boot that is cut on a snug last. Any brand suggestions to try?

thanks - JayC

Wesco, Hoffman, Viberg, Whites, and Nicks come to mind first for quality.

I need logging/hiking boots for cutting and other woods adventures. I have a slightly wide forefoot and narrow heel, however, and most lower-end brands (Hermans, Timberland, etc) are built with wide heels and narrow fronts these days. Most boots these days also have cloth interiors, which is absolutely unacceptable - I blow through them in a week. Price is no object - I just need a 100% leather (inside too) boot that is cut on a snug last. Any brand suggestions to try?

thanks - JayC

Custom made for a good fit

I bought a barely used pair of wesco pac boots with caulks in them from feebay. Leather inside and out with the wool/felt liner as well. be perfect for snowy cutting and especially for ice fishing, if it ever freezes... They fit well and are pretty darn comfortable. I've got a pair of red wings that i use at the firehouse and they are holding up very well. Also, we use Globe fireboots at the dept and they are the most comfortable and wear extremely well. They have several versions that are slip ons, side zips, laceable, etc. Web site shows medium, wide and xtra wide. Expensive but damn good boots.

Red wings if it's a style still made in the US are great. The china made aren't much better than anything else out there. I have some hoffmans and they're built great and not much over $200 for the smoke chaser style.

thanks - JayC

Hanwag Alaska boot. I got mine 8 years ago is southern Bavaria, Germany. Amazing boot, leather interior. Hiked hundreds of miles with them all over the Alps. Wear them alot now to cut wood in cold weather. They even did a tour in Afghanistan with me. Get some Superfeet insoles and you'll be good to go.

Wesco gets my vote. They will custom fit and can be ordered they way you want them. Can also be rebuilt, have a pair in the truck to in. I have on a pair of Hoffman's right now they have been a good boot also.

Jeremy

I buy my White's Smokejumper 400v's from Drew's. They are online. I traced my foot and gave them a few other measurements, as well as telling them "this is what I wear in 'so-and-so'". They were able to fit me with an 'off-the-shelf' boot, to my absolute satisfaction. ~$400.

I have a pair that are 7 yrs old. They are ready for a resole. They have been well and truly worn.

Double H Logger. U.S.A. Made; It does have a perforated breathable liner of some sort. Very good durable leather.

p.s. Just remembered. Here a pic.........
attachment.php

Last edited:
Bailey's sells RedDawgs, i think they are made by WESCO. I have a pair of lace-to-toe they have served me well since 2005, re-soled once so far, prolly going to send them in again for some stitching touch ups and get another year or 2 out of them. Good boot!

I bought a barely used pair of wesco pac boots with caulks in them from feebay. Leather inside and out with the wool/felt liner as well. be perfect for snowy cutting and especially for ice fishing, if it ever freezes... They fit well and are pretty darn comfortable. I've got a pair of red wings that i use at the firehouse and they are holding up very well. Also, we use Globe fireboots at the dept and they are the most comfortable and wear extremely well. They have several versions that are slip ons, side zips, laceable, etc. Web site shows medium, wide and xtra wide. Expensive but damn good boots.

We also use Redwing station boots and Globe Bunker boots. The Globe boots are amazing, and so are the upper end Redwing as long as you stay away from the worx series.

Adam

Back