Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am losing my job in a few weeks and have a boot credit left on payroll. What I need is a rugged outdoor boot for running the firewood processor and yarding my own firewood out of the woods with the quad. I like logger boots, but have a bad back. I find the heel on a regular logging boot a little high. I also have a coupon for Cabela's and they carry several logger boots. Being in Maine, a waterproof and insulated boot would be best.

Last edited:
I would buy a pair

Then I would turn in a copy of the receipt. Then I would return the boots and get my cash back.. This might be a long hard winter for someone unemployed.
Just my .02$

Then I would turn in a copy of the receipt. Then I would return the boots and get my cash back.. This might be a long hard winter for someone unemployed.
Just my .02$

Good point. Even though I am losing the regular job, I run my own firewood business and the boots will be needed to pursue that venture.

Last edited:
Good point. Even though I am losing the regular job, I runmy own firewood business and the boots will be needed to persue that venture.

I'm loosing my full time job also as of Oct. 31. I've been there 15 years. At least I'm only 32 and in good health. I'm glad I'm sitting on 50 cords and still bringing more in. I hope all goes well for you.

Scott

I like my Red Wings. Check these out, they are steel toe and look more like hiking boots. They are the most comfortable pair of steel toes, or even any boot for that matter, that I have ever had. I bought mine in 2001 and they are still going strong, although they are starting to peel on the toe.

http://www.redwingshoe.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1462

+1! Red Wings are hard to beat. I also have a pair of Caterpillar (Cat) boots that I really like because they are light in weight--no steel toe, but a great boot for less-than-rugged, everyday yard work.

Chippewa....full grain leather, Goodyear welt construction, Vibram soles, brass hardware and laces that never need replaced.....Top quality American made since 1901 but some imports (be careful) and sold at Cabelas......Last longtime!! :)

Yea, I would have to say Red Wing Irish Setters.:)

i bought a pair of irish setters 4 years ago they finally wore out last fall, so i replaced them again with irish setters this time they where made in china, they took the big :censored: last spring. I will not buy any shoe made in china PERIOD! In the spring i went on line and ordered my self a pair of american made boots and have been wearing them since and they are haveing no problems, they were made in wisconsin. Be careful if you really want a quality boot made in the usa homeland some boots are made in usa territory on an island 10 miles out of china, and still called made in the usa

Wesco boots

I have a couple pairs of Wesco "Jobmaster" boots, bar none the most comfortable boot/shoe I have. Saved my foot more than once cutting/splitting wood.They have an option for a lower heel. They're built right here in the good ole USA, Oregon to be exact, hand made and as heavy duty as they come. They will custom build for you too with plenty of options, re-build their old boots as well. Try wesco.com. No I don't work for them, I live on the east coast.

Good luck with your wood processing business! :clap:

Steve

I bought a pair or Rocky high top combat boots, and they are by far the best boot that I have ever bought. A real aggresive sole, high top leather, and the best part is they have a zipper up the inside so that you dont have to untie your boots to get them off. I had a pair that lasted since 2000, and just bought another pair a few weeks ago although there are plenty of miles left in the old ones.
I have tried redwings, etc, but these boots have been the best that i have ever had, and I love the idea of just zipping down the inside and stepping out of a high top boot.

How about Lowa boots. I have had a pair of their hikers for 10 months. I wear them all the time and they are better than any other boot I have had. Most other brands I can wear only 2 months before they start to leak. I also have Red Wing logger boots and Viking caulked chainsaw boots -no complaints for those either. But you could get a really nice, rugged boot from Lowa that will last a while -they're handmade also.

I've been wearing Danner boots for about 8 years now. I was wearing $80 work boots from wherever that lasted about 6 months. Horse manure is very acidic and kills boots fast.

Finally I spent the $225 for a pair of Danner and they lasted over 2 years. If I had been more careful maintaining them they would have lasted even longer. I now spend the extra money and buy their waterproofing gel and boot dressing to maintain them.

White's

Like you, I cannot wear a high heel logger style, so last year I opted for the White's Outdoorsman. They are wonderful, have never had a leak in them, but i use Obenauf's heavy duty leather preservative once a month, and it works. These boots are insulated with a low heel. I absolutely love them. Little pricey at about $350.00 pair, but would definitely buy the same again. You can find them at whitesoutdoor.com.

Latest posts

Back