Bought a Fiskars splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the answer is yes!
craigslist score for $18... have not split wood with stihl axe yet... just looks purty!

stihl axe.JPG

Would someone with thisView attachment 89057

Go and buy thisView attachment 89058

Well I'll tell ya, its because he reads this site & all the great reviews on it so he just "has to have one". Its another expense of the site. Although it is a sweet ax but it confirmed that I am out of shape

I just got one a few days ago myself. I had a similar one that I got at Home Depot. It worked pretty well, but the fiskars is a much better steel. I really like it so far.
Now to create a new must have. Estwing Sure Split. It has flares towards the top that really force the wood apart when it gets buried. I busted apart some elm crotches that I thought I would only be able to do with a saw.

fiskars

got one at Menards yesterday for 31.95, about took my ankle out with 1st split, will take some getting used to, seems to work great though...

Preventing foot damage is fairly simple, position your piece on a larger piece so that impact is made between knee and waist level. If you should happen to miss, the larger piece catches the axe head.

TS

Preventing foot damage is fairly simple, position your piece on a larger piece so that impact is made between knee and waist level. If you should happen to miss, the larger piece catches the axe head.

TS

Also, examine the arc of your swing.

If you pivot at the elbows and a bit at the shoulders, then your arc is small and travels through your shins (- that's roughly the area depending on your overall dimensions).

If you pivot at the shoulders you are doing a bit better, but can still have the arc of your swing travel through your feet.

However, if you pivot at the shoulders and the hips, then the arc of your swing is large and meets up with the ground underneath the log, rather than one of your (much needed) body parts.

NOTE: Pivoting your hips also gives you a lot more power, but not a whole lot of power is needed when using the Fiskars so it almost a moot point unless you are into some big and gnarly rounds.

I got one for my birthday last weekend, wife got it on Amazon for me... I have the small axe and the medium one below the super splitter axe and loved them both. This splitter is sooooo sweet! Wicked sharp and takes so much less effort to get equal or better results in my opinion. If you don't have one... GET ONE, you will not be disappointed. As far as the handle length, I use a block under my wood to split so the swing is perfect.

I used the heck out of mine this weekend! That thing works so well it's simply stupid!

I had a couple of Oak rounds that I dug out of the snow and 4 swings they were in pieces!

Mine has gotten some chips in the blade edge now. It hasn't seen any dirty wood or hit the gound (nor will it!).

Anyone ever had one of these sharpened?

They'll take a nice edge on the grinder. I use a diamond grit block to take the wire edge off at times.

TS

Does the 28" handle seem long enough? Not sure what my current one measures at, but that sounds kind of short.

I am 6' tall and it seems just right for me. Mind you I have 2 other Fiskars so have gotten used to the handle length (plus, it did not seem that much shorter to me when compared to the generic axes that I once used).

Working alone has long since taught me the wisdom of paying attention to the arc of my swing and that has helped me adjust (?) to the Fiskars handle length.

HTH

The handle length is just fine...

It isn't used like a regular splitting maul. You swing it overhead, not over your shoulder so you don't need/want a long handle.

Trust me...for $30...it is WELL worth it! I might go and get another one for a spare!

Does the 28" handle seem long enough? Not sure what my current one measures at, but that sounds kind of short.

someone on here did a poll on that very question. I find the length is ok. I just elevate the splitting height to compensate. I was splitting with an 8# maul and always had to use wedges for the more knarly stuff. This thing seems to blast right through anything so far. You can generate a lot of speed with the swing yet still be in control if you do it right.

The handle length is just fine...

It isn't used like a regular splitting maul. You swing it overhead, not over your shoulder so you don't need/want a long handle.

Trust me...for $30...it is WELL worth it! I might go and get another one for a spare!

Wow, Yes I currently swing over my shoulder, Hmmmm, that might take some getting used to. I see eBay has them for $33.00 plus $9.00 shipping, we don't have Menards, do have Lowes so I might have to check them out and see if they carry them. I do enjoy splitting by hand and probably could use a new splitting axe. Thanks for all the good info everyone.

Last edited:
I'm as guilty as anyone else when it comes to promoting the Fiskars SS, but I think with the amount of axes we've sold for them they should be encouraged to become a sponsor of AS. I'll have to drop them a line.

I don't know....I think the Gerber splitting axe is light years ahead of the competition.

lol.

TS

thats good to know, I tried a coupe of hardware stores AND lowes, Home depot last sat looking for one.

bought some tru temper something at lowes, and im returning it it BLOWS.

\
Icreek, sears has them. got mine there...Lanny

Latest posts

Back