bought a used splitter, help identifying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratface

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. Just came accross your site while researching my new used splitter. Great site, I've already added it to my bookmarks. Bought a small farm six years ago and sure am learning a lot. Its a recreational place for the moment until I can afford to retire. Anyway would appreciate some direction about this splitter. I'm basically trying to approximate the year of manufacture and the tonnage rating. This is what I know: It's a speeco, yellow I-beam and black motor, Briggs and Stratton 206? It's an older Briggs by the look of things, nothing plastic, fairy large capacity gas tank. If i'm using the correct terminology then the number on the back side of the cylinder, the opposite end of where either the ram or piston comes out is C-289. Is it a ram or piston? On the I-beam itself toward the front left near the hitch is the number
342784. Would anyone venture a guess to appx. year,tonnage, and hp of the Briggs? Any other places to look for identifying numbers?

There is often an ID tag on the pump and motor. That would help a lot in IDing your equipment. And yes, a picture or two would be very helpful.

On the Briggs motor if you can find the model ,type, and code numbers, this will answer the hp. and year questions. The tonnage is usually determinedby the bore size. A 4" bore will have a outside cylinder diameter of approx. 4 1/2" . A 5" bore will be about 5 1/2" on the outside.

4" bore approx. 20 ton
4 1/2 bore approx. 24 ton
5" bore approx. 30 ton

These are based on the pump being capable of producing 3000 psi.

call speeco and ask. I had one too that I couldnt figure the tonnage so I called, described what it looked like and was told it to be a 20T. Mine was red and black though, so may not be exactly the same, although could just be painted different for different retail chains.

take a look

newreply.php

attachment.php

not bad!! and it looks like it's easy to move around.

that briggs looks to be a 6.5 hp engine. the cylinder you can easily measure across to get the size. also, measure the ram diameter. if you can list the pump that would be helpful.

from the pics i'm guessing a 4" cylinder with a 1.5" ram...my guess only!!!

then, you can go to the link below, fill in the blanks and see where you're at:

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/cyl_calc.htm

Last edited:
what filter to buy?

One of the problems with this spliiter is that someone painted over every identifying label on this thing. The Hydraulic filter is also painted. Any idea on a filter number that would work on this splitter. Also where are some places that sell filters?

One of the problems with this spliiter is that someone painted over every identifying label on this thing. The Hydraulic filter is also painted. Any idea on a filter number that would work on this splitter. Also where are some places that sell filters?

cylinderservices.net

Back