Bought some books

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
"Working with Your Woodland: A Landowner's Guide (Revised Edition)"
Mollie Beattie;

"The Woodburner's Companion: Practical Ways of Heating with Wood"
Dirk Thomas;

"Homeowner's Complete Guide to the Chainsaw: A Chainsaw Pro Shows You How to Safely and Confidently Handle Everything from Trimming Branches and Felling Trees to Splitting and Stacking Wood"
Brian J. Ruth;

"Common Sense Forestry (Books for Wiser Living from Mother Earth News)"
Hans W. Morsbach;

I'm looking forward to reading these on the midnight shift. Should be here by June 3rd.

Thanks for the suggestion. I found their website. Does it cover people who are managing or reforesting 25 acres or less with minimal machinery? It looks like it caters to big logging operations only. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I found their website. Does it cover people who are managing or reforesting 25 acres or less with minimal machinery? It looks like it caters to big logging operations only. Thanks.

Big and small outfits are in it. But you can pick up tidbits on how logging operations work in the PNW real world. There's a major difference on what is learned in books and what happens on the ground. Logger's World describes the latter, and is good if you can't get out on the ground and pester them boys with questions.

For small acreage info, the Washington Farm Forestry Association (shameless plug) puts out a newsletter every month. I think they have it on the web.

Sounds like you're interested in Forestry? Becoming a forester? I've been on the planning side of things and then the "implementation" of things. I wish I had been on the implementation side before the planning.

I like seeing trees hit the ground and the head scratching that occurs trying to get them up or down the hill and onto trucks.

I took some classes in Agricultural and Natural Resources at University of Maryland before I joined the Marine Corps. I am 49 now and am looking more at managing my own acreage and reforesting old non producing farmland in a very small way.

Last edited:
I bet Marland Dept. of Forestry or whatever state agency, and the state univ. extension service (or of a neighboring state with a better program?) would have some good intro material.

Latest posts

Back