Bounty Hunter has a Good Day!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounty Hunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just like the rest of you guys and gals, I have my good days and I have my bad days. I have related a couple of the bad ones on this forum (Bad Day Getting wood 7-14-09, and Bad Day Tree House Demo 12-2-09)…but a little equal time is in order…sometimes the world smiles on your Bounty Hunter and things just fall my way…

This week the Southern California has been hit hard by a series of winter storms, some of which have packed some powerful winds. All week trees have been blowing down all over the city. On Tuesday morning I’m driving to the construction job I supervise (a remodel and addition in the Hollywood Hills), and the whole street is blocked by fallen pine trees. On the lot right next to where we are working a huge double trunk pine (about 48” DBH) broke off right at the base and toppled over to the North…where it struck two others (both about 32” DBH)…and they in turn fell and hit 4 more 1’ to 2’ DBH trees and fell or broke them too. Most of the mess landed on the lower section of our jobsite, and crushed the construction fence chain link panels flatter than stepped-on dog turds. The nieghbor’s driveway was completely blocked, as was the street.

But I had three chainsaws in the truck with me! :clap: A 200T, a 260 Pro, and a 044 (no 660…). So I get on all the PPE and a reflective Cal-Trans vest and go to work…clearing the driveway and making access for the neighbors. The tangled blow-down mess was way dangerous work, as many of the limbs were under tremendous pressure. I didn’t let any of my guys run a saw, had ‘em just pulling branches and rolling rounds. The 260 and 044 had just been completely gone over and were in tip-top shape…but the 200T was not. Hey, we’ve got 9 saws we have to maintain…I try to do 2 a week, which generally works out pretty well…so last Sunday I did that 044 and debated about the next one…I considered the 200T…but did the 660 instead! :(

The 200T is a great saw, and perfect for tight branching. It has many technological refinements and engineering advantages…but the air cleaner isn’t one of them. It’s not a multi-stage filter cartridge like its larger brethren, it’s just a curved filter fabric that covers the carb inlet. The last time this saw went out was working a series of extremely dead trees, so the air cleaner was covered with fine dry wood dust…so running it in the rain caused the dust to expand and clog the filter…I tried cleaning it with my big, wet gloved hands…which didn’t work…so the 200T fell out of action and the day finished out with the other two saws.

The neighbors were extremely appreciative, and it felt really good to be doing a good work. We even cut a path for an old guy who’s mailbox got covered, because he said he was expecting an important check in the mail. :)

As a result of our work, we got a great clean-up tree job, AND we get to keep the wood, AND it’s right next door to my construction job so I can work them both at the same time, AND I got to be HERO (Every dog has his day!) :cheers:

attachment.php

:spam:
attachment.php

I got my hands on a Husqvarna 3120XP yesterday...that a friend in the tree biz let me borrow...

And ropensaddle is right...HUSKY KICKS!

That thing is a MONSTER!

She was wearing a 42" bar and full comp chain...I couldn't believe the torque...

I suppose an ms880 shares the throne, but that 3120XP is THE KING OF SAWS!

(I want one...can't afford it...can't justify it...but that hasn't stopped some guys from gittin one) :laugh:

Latest posts

Back