Box elder use ideas?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burlhunter13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I've been coming across a bit of box elder. I have received a few logs that have been downed for some time....most of the bark has fallen off and there are some surface checks in the logs (22" diameter). I have a few others smaller logs (about 10-15" diameter) that are in decent shape that have a good amount of red color (from the fungus I think). Any good ides or uses for box elder other than turning blanks?....I already have quite a few. What should I do with the box elder that doesn't have burl/red color?

I will also be receiving a large spiral growth box elder that is, I'm guessing, 30" in diameter....ideas?

I'll post pictures if I can get a camera and figure out how to post pictures....hopefully in the next few days
.:bowdown:

I have an idea; cut it up and send ME some turning blanks!!!

Seriously though, all the boxelder I've seen that isn't the red flame or burled, is very boring in grain and color. I'd personally be cutting lots of blanks outof it, and selling or just waiting to use them. That's just me, though.

Another use would be some bookmatched slices for cabinet doors, but you'd have to have a special project for that.

I cut some of that once and used most of it for jigs and wall hanging fixtures in the garage. It stinks when you cut it - I've heard it called "poopwood."

Ted

Use it like any other soft maple, although the boxelder I've milled has all been softer than species like silver maple and red maple. yeah if you can find a turner willing to part with a few bucks, some of the red streaked stuff (it's actually a fungus) can be worth some money, but like most figured wood, it needs to be at the right place at the right time when just the right guy is interested in it. Here in eastern PA there are places, like up near Reading PA, where it grows in semi-pure stands, with every 3 or 4th tree a boxelder. Around here it's also called ashleaf maple since the compound leaf does look a little like an ash leaf, and unlike most trees, it has opposite venation, as only ashes, maples and dogwoods do here. (just in case anybody was interested :cheers: )

Are there any known diseases associated with Box Elder? The reason that I ask is because it seems like three out of four Box Elders here on our farm only make it to about 12" diameter before thay begin to rot and die out.

Are there any known diseases associated with Box Elder? The reason that I ask is because it seems like three out of four Box Elders here on our farm only make it to about 12" diameter before thay begin to rot and die out.

Other than that pretty redish fungus, don't know of any specific to them, but I don't think it's a naturally long lasting tree to begin with, not like an oak or a sycamore which can last hundreds of years. I suppose you could google acer negundo and read up on it.

the box elders ive cut have all been rotted--including the one i cut on the edge of my property--was about 90 yrs old--and had rotted in the center also--

Dad always referred to them as "weeds", but they kept us warm for many years until Dutch Elm changed the firewood mix for a few years. He still burns a lot of boxelder. I asked him about milling some up and he thought I was nuts. Still have half a mind to bring the CSM back home in August.

Mark

Here in VA, at least in the western part of the state where my family has some land, it seems to grow as a small shrub/tree. There aren't many trees larger than a few inches around to maybe 8" at the most. I didn't know they got 30"!!!! That'd be some beautiful wood. Let me know if you'd like to trade for some curly maple blanks. I'd love to have some red boxelder!

Here in VA, at least in the western part of the state where my family has some land, it seems to grow as a small shrub/tree. There aren't many trees larger than a few inches around to maybe 8" at the most. I didn't know they got 30"!!!! That'd be some beautiful wood. Let me know if you'd like to trade for some curly maple blanks. I'd love to have some red boxelder!

Its crazy big :).....Its about 30" diameter I think and about 20' long.....I have to figure out how to get it home first :).....bit big for my half ton pickup :(. I need a dang camera! I'll email photos if I can get a camera soon. I just milled a 22" diameter box elder....not much red color.....but plenty of grey spalt.... I have several 7" and 5" turning blocks in 4" lengths (I have to cut them down, but I'll do that when someone tells me a length they want :))

If Your interested in box elder with red color/burl/and or large slabs then let me know, Ill get some pics hopefully soon. Just drop me a message at [email protected] if ya wanna pick through the piles :)

Thanks all yall!!!!:cheers:

I cut some of that once and used most of it for jigs and wall hanging fixtures in the garage. It stinks when you cut it - I've heard it called "poopwood."

Ted

lol!!!! yea man.....you know it! Its does smell bad!.......it was funny because I milled an aged walnut log right before.......its like going from heaven to hell!!!

Walnut is the best smelling wod ever lol......if you disagree then let me know what else smells great......I wanna get some :hmm3grin2orange:

Man, I'm learning something every day. I didn't know there was anything that stunk more than walnut! It seems to me that people either love or hate the smell of the stuff. I'm one that doesn't enjoy it much. It might be in my head, as I get a really bad poison-ivy like rash from the stuff. That said, its one of my very favorite woods. I just have to mill it in the winter, with long pants & sleeves, and dust protection.

Edit: email sent

Last edited:
Man, I'm learning something every day. I didn't know there was anything that stunk more than walnut! It seems to me that people either love or hate the smell of the stuff. I'm one that doesn't enjoy it much. It might be in my head, as I get a really bad poison-ivy like rash from the stuff. That said, its one of my very favorite woods. I just have to mill it in the winter, with long pants & sleeves, and dust protection.

Edit: email sent

I know what your talking about....I have contact dermatitis from it too when I'm covered in the sawdust. Its actually acidic I think, and poisonous.....if you ever noticed that nothing tends to grow under big black walnut trees....its from the leaves and walnuts rotting on the ground. Your supposed to wear a mask when cutting it. I love the smell though, don't know why :). Yea...its the wood that you either love or hate the smell of!:cheers:

Latest posts

Back