Box Store Poulans - They DO have a place

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok i got a poulan 295 muffer the one that comes apart ,,do i take the screen off the difusser and drill more holes, and what about the adddional hole i am suposed to drill in the muffler ,in the side or front HELP, :greenchainsaw:

I like the 295... I always think of it as a big-bore Husky 41. The aesthetics are different as are the linkages, but the engine itself is outwardly identical along with filtration, oiler, muffler, and other odd details. With your muffler mod, the 295 will cut very nicely and still be light as a feather. They put a number of different mufflers on that saw over the years, but it sounds like the one you have is the one that, once you take the bolts out, falls in half and has a central "stalk" surrounded by a spark arresting screen. I have never felt that baffle is a bottleneck, so I've never modified them. I believe the restriction on this muffler is merely the outlet on the side. Normally what I do is pry at the hole to spread the metal. It's easy and you get modest but discernable gains. If you want to go bigger, you probably need to grind, but you might have to come up with a deflector of some sort so you don't melt your chainbrake (if it is a newer chainbrake model). The rule of thumb for the size of the outlet hole (though this has seen much debate) is to keep it to less than 80% of the exhaust port (measured at the piston). That's a heck of a lot bigger than the existing hole... I don't get near that number and I'm pretty happy with the way the saws run.

Yes, these saws are a bit "plasticky," but the engines are sturdy enough to port if you are keen to do it.

Oh, remember to retune to a richer setting after opening up your muffler! The clamshell style engines don't handle heat as well as the magnesium case engines. Without retuning the saw will rev to the moon and produce a lot more heat.

Ive got one of the old clamshell designs made by Poulan known as a model 2900. I think its one of the first that were made that way. It has been used by more than one neighbor or friend and has been loaned out more than anything else we have. It has at least 500 hours on it. Still pushes 155psi compression and has been through a few bars and chains.

Best wishes,
Bob

The 2900 was pretty good, IMHO. That chassis was indeed used for another bizillion saws, I don't even know why they changed the name. Craftsman sold a snotload of them also in 2.5 and 2.7 cu displacements (in black and red). In fact, you won't find hardly a lick of difference between it and a 295.

I will say that a lot of the models that used this chassis style were sold with an aluminum bore and chromed piston which does seem to reduce the longevity of the saw.

craftsman part number for a poulan 2500

ok guys how would i find out the craftsman part number for a poulan 2500,i have asked poulan and sears and they wont tell me,:greenchainsaw:

Like a friend of mine said, a chainsaw isn't much more than a motor with a chain and bar attached to it. As long as the motor runs and the chain cuts, I don't see much difference. These saws have interchangeable parts, just like a car, and will last as long as you want it to. Maintenance will help keep you from buying parts as often, but as long as replacement parts last, that's how long your saw will last, regardless of brand.

ok guys how would i find out the craftsman part number for a poulan 2500,i have asked poulan and sears and they wont tell me,:greenchainsaw:

I honestly don't think they are keeping it from you, there is simply no cross reference available. In fact, there is no guarantee the the 2500 was simply made in black and marketed as a Craftsman. There might be other small differences. I think your biggest clue is going to be displacement. At 40cc, it is equivalent to the Craftsman 2.5.

i only know two people that are happy with their box store specials. one is our deacon who has a helper hired hand to start the wild thing. he has had his several years cuts a few ricks of oak a year with it. he complains that the bars don't last.

the other fellow has a box store model and a 460. the 460 does all the real work for him and the wild thing is for trimming around the deer stand mostly.

the quality control on these products is well dreadful. my son bought one from a box store got it home and it wouldn't do nothing but pop when you pulled the chord. pulled the covers and checked it out and one of the screws that held the carb to the manifold plastic as it was was not even installed. further checking revealed the jug had a hole for the fastener but no threads.

good thing the store had a good return policy!

these saws are sort of a lottery deal somewhere there is a good one--but what are the odds?

the EPA label is what 30-50 hours then it is out of smog compliance?

i would think that excessive wear of the cylinder and rings and low compression would cause more pollution.

when i was saw shopping i was hitting the local pawnshops. they had pick-up loads of box store special saws. guaranteed to run or exchange for another one! $30

if i thought the odds were any good i would have tried one.

i suppose one could buy a new one every other year?

i only know two people that are happy with their box store specials. one is our deacon who has a helper hired hand to start the wild thing. he has had his several years cuts a few ricks of oak a year with it. he complains that the bars don't last.

the other fellow has a box store model and a 460. the 460 does all the real work for him and the wild thing is for trimming around the deer stand mostly.

the quality control on these products is well dreadful. my son bought one from a box store got it home and it wouldn't do nothing but pop when you pulled the chord. pulled the covers and checked it out and one of the screws that held the carb to the manifold plastic as it was was not even installed. further checking revealed the jug had a hole for the fastener but no threads.

good thing the store had a good return policy!

these saws are sort of a lottery deal somewhere there is a good one--but what are the odds?

the EPA label is what 30-50 hours then it is out of smog compliance?

i would think that excessive wear of the cylinder and rings and low compression would cause more pollution.

when i was saw shopping i was hitting the local pawnshops. they had pick-up loads of box store special saws. guaranteed to run or exchange for another one! $30

if i thought the odds were any good i would have tried one.

i suppose one could buy a new one every other year?

I've had good luck with my box store specials. I had a 1950 with poor compression (got it used, came that way) that gave me hell till I finished fixing it up, but other than that no big issues. That said, I don't think I'd ever buy a new one. The most I've spent on one was $30.

i only know two people that are happy with their box store specials. one is our deacon who has a helper hired hand to start the wild thing. he has had his several years cuts a few ricks of oak a year with it. he complains that the bars don't last. . . .

QUOTE]

I agree that the bars that come with the Poulan Wild Thing are terrible. I replaced the one I have with a reasonaby good bar from Baileys.

i believe that

It seems like with Poulans, you can get a good one or you can get a bad one.

I work with a guy who has a bit of property and he cuts a decent amount of wood each year. I was surprised to find out his main saw is a Wildthing. He's had it 5 years and had no problems cutting more than 2 chords a year.

My other buddy has a 4620 that he bought 2 years ago for his camp, and he's had nothing but problems with it since new.

I have had poulans never give me a problem,but i have had some that were nothing but trouble,i have used 2150s and 2375 saws for years,some were over 10 yrs old,and still running,i just purchased 6 4620 poulan pros, did a muffler mod, changed the bar and chain on 5 of them to 18 inch with full chisel chain,they cut awsome,going to put a 16 inch on one,i cut probably 100 cord of wood a winter or more,after a few cords they have paid for their self,:greenchainsaw:

I bought a poulan wildthing from my friends grandma for 75 dollars and was only used twice. I orderd a .325 sprocket for it and i bought a 20in. bar and chain combo but replaced the safety with a carlton semi chisel pro chain. I also have an 18in. b&c for it also. I modded the saw and bought bucking spikes for it. I use the crap out of that saw. just took down a 18 inch maple with it. And i have felled around fifty trees or more with that saw. some trees were bigger than 24in. in diameter. i use that saw every weekend for almost a year and i am suprised it is still running.

Last edited:
"If you pay for a 50-100 hour saw, you will get a 50-100 hour saw"

Mostly a true statement, with some outliers. One might score the unusual 600+ hour machine, or one that goes Tango Uniform before the first tank runs through.

Look at the math though (with some rounding/wild guessing/assumptions, and doesn't account for increased 'expendables' fuel, oils, chains etc)

$200 saw (lower end of whatever brand annoys ya) gets 200 hours useful life = $1.00 per hour

$500 saw (small pro saw of your favorite brand) gets 1000 hours useful life = $0.50 per hour

$800 saw (70cc class pro saw) gets 1000 hours(?) useful life = $0.80 per hour

The game changer is how big the woodpile gets... 1000 hours with the 70cc should be a much bigger stack than with the 40cc... YMMV ;)

Even if the machines cost the exact same $ per hour of use, there are the intangibles... like decent anti-vibe, predictable controls & settings, ease of maintenance, parts availability etc. that may (or may not) be important to the sawyer.

Hurricane Fran storm cleanup with a Husky 41 was no picnic. Could a Wildthingy have done it? Possibly... Could a 70cc pro saw have got it done quicker? Absolutely. Four times quicker? Probably.

Hurricane Fran storm cleanup with a Husky 41 was no picnic. Could a Wildthingy have done it?

You asked a question and answered it at the same time. :confused:

You realise the Husky 41 IS a orange Poulan don't you? Yep it is, much the same as a wild thing.

Your also missing the point of the thread. It was saying that not everyone is going to put 1000 hrs on a saw.

It is interesting that, when chasing down a replacement jug for a Poulan, finally wound up with a part no. prefixed with HUSQ....
hhmmmm.......

Mark, I wonder why the Husky costs more than the Poulan, at least around Indiana. Is orange a more expensive color?

Must be.

Actually the 41 is better then the Wild Thing. It is more like the corresponing Poulan Pro model I would think, since it does have a plated cyl and such.

I was also told that some of the internals were Swede manufactured.

Just pointing out that it is more or less a Poulan made in the Poulan factory.

That don't make it all bad either.

I was wondering if the Husky jugs are chromed. Wouldn't matter in my case; I probably wouldn't use one enough to wear it out anyway. I just cut enough wood to get through next year then I'm done till next year. I also burn a little slab wood from sawmill which cuts my chainsawing down even more.

Last edited:
Thirty years or so ago,a guy we used to cut with had a poulan.Some kind of top handle unit,xxv maybe.Great little saw until one day it wouldnt start.Well to make a long story short ,said saw became more of a projectile than a tool and had an encounter with a large spruce.Someone said "Try it now ,Joe". Joe goes over,puts his foot on the saw because it no longer has a handle,gives it one jerk on the cord........vroom. I couldnt guess how much wood that little saw cut,cords upon cords.The guys used to make me cut all the big stuff because i had "the big saw"Yeah right,1074 pioneer!.....lol

Have both a Wood Shark and Wild Thing that have cut a lot of wood with. I consider both of them as disposable though. For anything under 12" I always start with the Wild Thing and when the chain gets dull I move on to my 025. I have a buddy who likes to help me cut and when he comes over to help, he get's the Poulans while I use the Stihls. Saw a Poulan Pro with a 20" bar on sale over the holidays, didn't see much "Pro" about it. Looks like it was made in a former Soviet republic, POS.

Back