Bradford Pears and pruning now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garpa

Reaction score
Hi Guys...thanks for answering this question from a Landscraper guy...have 3 20 ft Bradfords..you know all too well about their branching problems in the crotch..b4 I lose them to a storm I was going to have them thinned....but after reading one of your posts here, it seemed that thinning in January is not a good idea?? I thought this dormant time would be ok but then I'm no tree expert like you guys...thanks for the advice

I assume no one is chiming in because nobody gets very excited about bradfords. These guys get a little too bogged down with the minutia and academia behind pruning to give a straight answer at times. I would say you are safe to prune them now.

Originally posted by TREETX
I assume no one is chiming in because nobody gets very excited about bradfords. These guys get a little too bogged down with the minutia and academia behind pruning to give a straight answer at times. I would say you are safe to prune them now.

Minutia and academia? Half the time we don't even get close to the common-sense contradictions embedded in pruning concepts.

I agree, any time's fine for doing anything, especially if you don't think it matters.

"Start 'em up, Harvey, we's got trees to prune...";)

Bob Woofalot

The biggest problem with them is the fire blight, so if you are cool enough so the bacteria is not active, then you are right about dormant pruning.

What did we say that made you think otherwise?

Just don't go hog wild and try to do all the work in one season. it is so easy to over prune small trees when making proper thinning cuts. That 25% dynamic mass is "no more then" standard for vigorous trees. On small ornimentals I usualy try to keep it to 10-15% so you don't get a huge flush of adventisouse sprouting right away. Or in laymens termas-suckers from heck.

Ahh, alas, I digress from pruning of pears.

Wulkie, yer right, "Half the time we don't even get close to the common-sense contradictions embedded in pruning concepts."

Instead, people get bogged in the minutia of quoting their favorite books like they were the bible.

I would like to see/hear more on the common-sense contradictions

I didn't "chime in", reply, because I've never pruned a
Bradford Pear, we don't have them in Sweden.

I believe that the "Proper pruning times" thread
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=7017
is perhaps the one you read before Garpa ?

Treetx, common-sence might be a sufficient argument method
when discussing simple systems.
Trees are extremly complex.
Common sence is what make people over here go out and
top their trees in half, because common sence told them
that making so made the trees half as tall.
I don't read the bible, but I do read books about trees
written by people who have devoted their lives to
scientifically studying and describing them.
If (arborist)people never indicate that they are up to date
with a certain topic, how can I know that their "common sence"
ain't a 100 years old ?

Common sence now tells me I've led this thread off topic and should stop :)

Best Regards / hillbilly

First of all...thanks for the replies ...I will go ahead and have them thinned...but not too aggressively. And yes Hillbilly that was the thread I had read that made me question the timing....and lastly....its funny to watch how you guys here chew on each other just like we do over on Lawnsite!!!...lol....thanks again

Ease up hillbilly boy, put the banjo down.
:p

I simply meant I would like to hear input from people who know the science plus prune trees on a day - to day basis.

Trees aren't pruned in books.

Dan...the best one I have found is ************....very good people . If you register, be forewarned that the site encourages you to first do a search on the topic you are asking about...its a great resource

Latest posts

Back