Starting a small Tree trimming and pruning business.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericklofgren

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the forum, and hope Im not repeat posting by asking this.

I work on a summer trail and fire crew. We have our wildland fire red cards as well as an S212 wildland fire chainsaw certification. We drop large dead Doug firs and other large pines trees during the summer as well as brushing and fuel mitigation.

My question is this. I would like to start a small side business just pruning small diameter trees and branches, preferably with a small saw or polesaw, hand saw etc... No climbing or serious rigging, just basic tree maintenance. I would like to scale up the business as I get more certifications and and take courses.

What is your advice to start with a small trimming business? What qualifications do I need? Any equipment ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice! PXL_20230825_205407566~2.jpg

First...make sure you know what you are doing. Not implying that you don't! - just saying, if you really know what you are doing, it becomes very easy for customers to see that. Even when customers want their trees topped, we can almost always talk them out of that by explaining how trees grow and why proper pruning will better match their goals.

Ed Gilman has some great resources. His Illustrated Guide to Pruning is great. But he also put some great stuff online before he retired from UF. For example: https://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/structural-pruning-flash.shtml

So that link leads me to #2...if you want to work from the ground, really learn structural pruning (young tree training). Often larger companies don't want that work because their equipment is not set up for that...it's hard to make payments on a crane and $150,000 chipper with that. But we've found good profitability. Sure, it's only $30-50 per tree sometimes (sometimes more....), but you can get a few dozen trees done in a day with very little equipment cost.

I'd also suggest learning about Japanese maple trees. These are often "specimen" trees that people are willing to invest in great care and many people don't do a good job with them.

Obviously, the feasibility of both of those will depend on local markets/clients and who else is established doing those. If there is already strong competition, that could be a tough nut to crack.

Work towards becoming an ISA Certified Arborist.

Equipment:
*Felco hand pruners. I like #13. #2 are the industry standard for hand pruners, IMHO. I just like the larger capacity of the #13, but they aren't too big to fit small spots. If you have small hands, you won't like the larger pruners.
*Silky Tsurugi (straight blade, medium teeth)
*good quality pole pruner: Marvin, Jameson, for example. (2) 6' fiberglass poles. 3rd starts to get flimsy up there. 8' would work too, but even in an 8' bed the head makes it too long.
*Pole saw: unfortunately, Silky saws are no longer imported. I really like my Hayate(s). I've used a few power pole saws and I'll take my Hayate any time. The Notch Nobasu is probably a pretty good alternative, but I've never used it. It does have the Hayate blade on it.

If you are just doing small stuff, you don't need a chipper. A small dump truck or a dump trailer (or even a flatbed trailer if you don't mind dragging the brush off) will work well.

Latest posts

Back