Brand New Log Splitter Crashed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Let me vent.

Bought this Troy Bilt 27 Ton from Lowes. Was shipped next day on Sunday 6 days ago. Used it for 1 total hours. The reverse, neutral or forward is not working!

Yes theres oil. Yes there's gas. I dont even know where the hydrolic fluid dipstick is! But its new! It was working...now its not.

I dont even own a truck to hitch this back to store or service station.

Is there something I can check?? The manual is Chinese to me. I'm new to this. Man I'm pissed.

Please give me good news.

Look at the forward reverse handle make sure the pins are still in place. Check the hydraulic fluid. The large square tube that is the axle is also the hydraulic tank. Should be a cap on there look inside.

Look at the forward reverse handle make sure the pins are still in place. Check the hydraulic fluid. The large square tube that is the axle is also the hydraulic tank. Should be a cap on there look inside.

brisawyer - you r my man. I found the dipstick. I thought it was a bolt so I didn't think to check it.

Ok...it's minimum level but I see fluid in there. Shouldn't it still work with minimum level fluid in it?

I'm going to buy it now and fill her up. I pray its that

Ummm, filled up the fluid. Turned it on..NOTHING!!! I didn't want to run it too long and damage something. You think I blew the pump??

I can't believe I'm dealing with this.

Screw that thing borrow a truck and dump it at the return desk. Lowes around here will take anything back no problem.

crashed woodspliter

hi look at the engine on the logspliter.the pump will be hooked to the engine crankshaft make sure when the engine is turned over the pump turnes with the engine. If it does then check filter for the hydrolic oil. then look at the splitter valve that workes the splitter make sure no pins are missing on the lever action. good luck

home built splitter 40 ton
2 husky 394 saws modified
2 homelite xl12
79 ford chevy powered 1 ton truck homemade dump :chainsaw:

Would it matter that I kept the thing outside overnight(1 night). It only hit 33 here last night but warmed up to 55 today.

According to the manual (I CANT BELIEVE IM WASTING TIME WITH THIS!!!)

Like I said, I "rented" the same exact model that was 2 years old and split Elm for 3 days straight. No problems.

I got a Lemon! It's not 2 or 8 because I had used it for an hour + I checked level.

1. Broken Drive Shaft.
2. Shipping plugs left in hydraulic hoses
3. Set screws in coupling not adjusted properly
4. Loose shaft coupling
5. Gear section damaged
6. Damaged relief valve
7. Hydraulic lines blocked
8. Incorrect oil level
9. Damaged Directional valve
10. Blocked directional valve

No leaving it outside doesn't matter. I would check the set screws on the couplings. They are inside the bracket that attaches the pump to the engine. There should be two, make sure they are tight.

Oh....I would also take it back to Lowes. You must know someone with a truck. If you are not handy, you don't want to fight with that POS for the next ten years. And you shouldn't have to, as it is a new machine.

Did it come assembled?

Sounds to me the coupling between the motor and pump went. I would doubt you are having problems with the pump or directional valve.....

Take the thing back......

Craig

Lowes is 45 minutes away by highway. The service center is 10 minutes away backroads. It's still under warranty. Its 6 days old for crying out loud. Man I'm ticked.

Last edited:
Would it matter that I kept the thing outside overnight(1 night). It only hit 33 here last night but warmed up to 55 today.

According to the manual (I CANT BELIEVE IM WASTING TIME WITH THIS!!!)

Like I said, I "rented" the same exact model that was 2 years old and split Elm for 3 days straight. No problems.

I got a Lemon! It's not 2 or 8 because I had used it for an hour + I checked level.

1. Broken Drive Shaft.
2. Shipping plugs left in hydraulic hoses
3. Set screws in coupling not adjusted properly
4. Loose shaft coupling
5. Gear section damaged
6. Damaged relief valve
7. Hydraulic lines blocked
8. Incorrect oil level
9. Damaged Directional valve
10. Blocked directional valve

You could drive it threw a swamp all day and leave it out all year. Mine gets beta to hell in the woods and always works.

Go return it.

Sounds to me the coupling between the motor and pump went. I would doubt you are having problems with the pump or directional valve.....

Take the thing back......

Craig
:agree2:
Yes - do a search on here for 'lovejoy' connector. It's a splined connection with a rubber damper between drive shaft & pump shaft.

Pull the starter rope with the ignition turned off or the wire pulled off the spark plug(! important!) Either have someone look at the connector or feel under the coupling guard - again - MAKE SURE THE SPARK PLUG IS UNPLUGGED!!!!

You should feel the motor side of the coupler move with the pump side.

and TAKE IT BACK!

:)

It a lovejoy coupling if anyone need's you to get technical.

Return it

Rent a Home Depot truck for $20 an hour and make a statement in the process.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! 6 HOURS AND NO SMILE ON ME....THIS DID IT....AND IS SO ME. THANKS!

Pull up at Lowes with the Home Depot Truck and ask the manager to meet me outside. LOL!! Thanks man.

I'll keep you guys posted and for sure have this story to tell for a long long time.

how did you get it to your house in the first place? if lowes delivered it then they should be able to pick it back up.did you even call the store you bought it from?

how did you get it to your house in the first place? if lowes delivered it then they should be able to pick it back up.did you even call the store you bought it from?

They delivered it. Ordered it Saturday 10am November 14, 2009. They delivered it Sunday at 1pm November 15, 2009! They charged for delivery, they would charge to pick it up.

I'll call Sunday 1st thing.

Getting all wound up because of something small seems to be the American way these days though.

Small? Yeah you're right. Paying $1500 for a new machine you expect to last more than 1 hour was wishful thinking. I'm Just Unlucky. Thats all.

Last edited:
Back