Brand new Logger! Start felling Monday!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw what part of ky are u from? I live about 30 mins from the state line I'm familiar with some places in south east ky.

Im in western KY between Paducah and Henderson. My grandpa lives up in Carter County. We have hills here, not mountains like you do. Thank God.

some of us are really small outfits..........small has advantages.
ppe is great and all but have your brain turned on in the woods.........no accident is better than a lesser one becuase you had chaps on.
don't even get in a hurry, if you consentrate on doing things right every time, things will happen smooth and that makes good production.

I am very concerned about the heat and already have water ready to go and some salt tablets. As far as hard work Nov- April I own a commercial Caviar fishing business and I pull 50 300 ft gill nets from the bottom of the river and they are full of trees, anchors boulders, etc., that I don't have a skidder or winch to help me pull to the surface. I am no stranger to hard work. The timing just sucks that I am starting on the hottest day we have had this year. I was told to drink 8 ounces of water every 15 minutes by an athlete that runs out west in 100 degree temps.

If I don't pass out I will let you guys know how many trees I get cut on the first day. haha. If the hills aren't steep I think I will be okay. If it is straight up and down I will be screwed as far as fatigue goes in this heat. It is probably why he is needing help right now.

Don't take salt tablets. Drink one 32 oz Gatorade and a gallon of water. Unless you eat a no salt diet you don't need extra salt. Too much can make it harder to cope with the heat. I've spent 2 summers in the desert.

Get you a hard hat and ear plugs. Corks would be a plus also.

I'm always thirsty. I sweat more than anyone I have ever seen. I will be drinking a lot. I have already started increasing fluids today even though I have been inside in the AC except for changing bar and chain and loading up everything I need.

I
Im in western KY between Paducah and Henderson. My grandpa lives up in Carter County. We have hills here, not mountains like you do. Thank God.[/QUOTE
Yeah we have some pretty steep ground here, I just got off a job that was rough as hell. The boundary were cuttin now lays good for around here though thank god. I sold a coon hound to a guy in Henderson Kentucky in January but I've never been out that way

Where is a good article for the best chainsaw for cutting through trees of large size. I will be upgrading my saws to the biggest beast i can handle as soon as I know this is what I will be doing with my life as a career and I am sure I can find a thread on here where the battle of husky vs stihl and which model is best.

Once I cut my teeth I want to have a saw that will cut faster than what I have. In the beginning my saws will be all I need in my hands. In a few months I will want the best since I am getting paid off of production.

I know...... Thanks. I just read a thread on guys pissing back and fourth between saws right after i posted that and it was more humorous than helpful but like you said I have plenty of time to deal with that later

One other tiny tid bit, fatigue can cause some nasty injuries. Not only by misjudgment of trees but regular saw safety too. Just work safe and smart and have a good time if there's such a thing lol. Good luck.

Your 441 will get the job done i wouldn worry about buying a saw right now.. When u do decide to upgrade I like the 660 its not as bulky as a 395 the weight is close to the same the 395 weighs about a pound more I think. It feels heavier to me but its just a little bigger.

Although I've never ran a good 395 in the woods most of them have been wore out. I sawed up a load of logs with a new one one day ill have to say I think the 395 has a little more pep than a 660 ( both In stock form) but Carb adjustments and a muffler mod really will wake up the 660..

Saw choice is a preference thing to me there all good equipment, you just have to try different ones I guess

morning...

anyway, hold off on buying a saw until you have made enough to bother with it, they taint cheap ya know... (stihl 461! or 660 die husky scum...:eek:)

Same thing goes for the calks, while they are a game changer when it comes to walking logs and general forestry work, they also are not cheap. (although I believe that viking still makes a rubber type calked boot there a bit warmish in the summer, I sold mine)

Get a hard hat, if one isn't provided go buy one. Not two weeks ago I about got nocked the **** out by a limb, hat saved my life probably, as it was I had a sore neck and a headache for a couple of days. Jack knobs not wearing them in the woods are just waiting for their number to be called.

And lest I forget, hacks men are a bunch of jokers, and all that fancy new equipment is nice and all, however they are logging different ground, we could school ya on steep out here. Nothing wrong at all with old ugly equipment as long as it runs good... newest piece of Iron I have is probably the crummy and its a 1990... unless the new welder counts (90's vintage?) everything else is older than I am.

...Once I cut my teeth I want to have a saw that will cut faster than what I have. In the beginning my saws will be all I need in my hands. In a few months I will want the best since I am getting paid off of production.
FWIW, the boss of a logging crew I worked for last winter put away his 660 after the first day and used a 441 as his landing & felling saw for the rest of the job - same size Oak as you'll be seeing.

I'm curious to hear what size, on average, you're felling... I bet my 372 would be just fine out there and was actually day dreaming about the same last time I drove through KY, (from KS to VA)... Pretty country out there!

The trees were all white oak, red oak, and poplar. On a few when digging through I would have my blade go all the way through but most i would say were 21-27 inches on the cut and 23-30 inches on lowest areas we couldn't cut because of rocks. He does nothing but bore cut with 20" bars. He actually used a 461 and a 372. He said the 390 husky was his favorite saw .

I was the only one there with a hard hat or chaps on. They didn't make fun of me. They just said it was too hot and they weren't gonna wear that $%^&.

The trees were all white oak, red oak, and poplar. On a few when digging through I would have my blade go all the way through but most i would say were 21-27 inches on the cut and 23-30 inches on lowest areas we couldn't cut because of rocks. He does nothing but bore cut with 20" bars. He actually used a 461 and a 372. He said the 390 husky was his favorite saw .

I was the only one there with a hard hat or chaps on. They didn't make fun of me. They just said it was too hot and they weren't gonna wear that $%^&.

bar

Back