Brand New MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fullbore

fullbore

ArboristSite Lurker
After a few years of influence from AS, I finally took the plunge and bought a brand new Stihl MS660. I absolutely didn't need it; but, I couldn't resist the $900.00 deal with a 36" bar, two chains, and a few other accessories. Does anyone think the DP cover is sufficient or is gutting the muffler baffle needed.
Also, does a 25" bar seem to balance better than the nose heavy 36" bar.

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Shorter bars do balance better, and they're easier to use. Not to mention, they're lest apt to throw a chain prematurely. :cheers:

:monkey:

Balance? for what? the saw is supposed to cut wood (pressure in the cut..), not be carried around by a fairy! :greenchainsaw:

and "premature what"? groan.... amateurs...;)

sILlogger

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
gut that muffler!! open up the stock port..put on the dual port....install ear plugs and let it rip!!! the 660 baffles are pretty easy to remove...and i'd have to say that it is worth it..atleast to me it is

Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite

You need this,

attachment.php

As far as the bar goes, match the bar length to the wood you're cutting. 18" wood doesn't need a 36" bar.

fullbore

fullbore

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks, Does anyone know the part# for the complete muffler(no baffles). I have the p/n for the cover but swapping the entire unit maybe safer than gutting if I have a warranty issue.

bluequill56

bluequill56

ArboristSite Operative
I agree that balance is irrelevant in the cut, but shorter bars offer a definite advantage if you file your own chains. Just finished touching up a 32" chain that I really didn't need to be running. Sure looked neat on the saw, though...:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts