Brand new Shindaiwa 358Ts (Echo 355T) spitting through carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGrig06

Addicted to Old Blue Smokin Two Strokes That Sing
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I just got a new 358Ts in the mail today and got it going good. I ran the saw a bit to break it in and after working with it, I brought it in to take a look at it like I do with my other saws. I took the air cleaner off and noticed a heavy amount of fuel in the airbox. SO, I ran it with the airbox wide open to see how much fuel is spitting out. I noticed that it sprays a good amount of fuel when revving it, otherwise, it doesn't spit. Could this be because the saw only has one tank through it? Does it have to do with blowby, being a new motor? I pulled the limiters off the carb and removed the spit plate and tuned it, still spits like before. Can anyone tell me what could be going on? This saw has no reed valve built in. Bear in mind, this saw likes to run rich, lil bitta blue smoke, even at operating temps. I will read the manual and see what they want the carb set at.

I have an Echo 355T that spits back too. If you feel comfortable with it and have a tachometer,
I would recommend pulling the limiter caps first off. Then reset the carb to basic run settings, about a turn each. When you get the chain to stop at idle, set up the high jet for around 500 revs under max rpm. It will still spit back some, as mine does still. This clamshell has an issue with the spitback. It will get better as the saw breaks in. Just my experience. I think it is a great saw and my go to in the canopy.

I have an Echo 355T that spits back too. If you feel comfortable with it and have a tachometer,
I would recommend pulling the limiter caps first off. Then reset the carb to basic run settings, about a turn each. When you get the chain to stop at idle, set up the high jet for around 500 revs under max rpm. It will still spit back some, as mine does still. This clamshell has an issue with the spitback. It will get better as the saw breaks in. Just my experience. I think it is a great saw and my go to in the canopy.
What are your jets set at? Just so I can get a sense of where they should be. Seems like my H jet was 3-5/8 from factory, and L was set about 2-1/8 from factory. I've never seen a low jet pass 1-3/4 turns but ok. I put the spit plate back on and that actually somewhat fixed it kinda. I just didn't know if this was a common thing with these little buggers or if I got a bad jug and piston from the factory. Did a compression test and got an outstanding 160! The saw is now on it's second tank.

I have mine set around 2-1/2 h and 1-3/4 low. I did a muffler mod when i got it. So i do run slightly rich. I have started to think these carbs are all over the place as far as fuel delivery. Mine still spits back but not nearly as much as in the beginning. I did not remove the spit plate.

I have mine set around 2-1/2 h and 1-3/4 low. I did a muffler mod when i got it. So i do run slightly rich. I have started to think these carbs are all over the place as far as fuel delivery. Mine still spits back but not nearly as much as in the beginning. I did not remove the spit plate.
Drilled 1/4" hole in muffler plate. Fixed problem

Latest posts

Back