brand new Stihl oil flippy cap problems.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got a new homeowner Stihl for small jobs at the place I have worked during summer.
I didn`t wanted to take my own saw to use it so I tried with the MS 181.
it had a 35 cm b/c but when burried 30 cm in an cherry tree, just died on me.
took me forever to cut it with lots of jerking around.
Anyways...
three times (out of aprox 10), I have filled the oil tank and when I started the saw I noticed all the oil went down the drain. The cap was just simply loose as if never been locked.
I just can`t understand, for everything I did to lock it seemed right; the same thing I did at the gas tank and it was ok.
That oil cap seems to have a mind of it`s own.
What do you think ? it is defected or should I take some classes ?

Flippy caps

One idea is to switch the caps.
Take the flippy caps off,
Clean the flippy caps,
Put them back on,and go cut trees.

If gas leaks out 3/10 times then,
ask the dealer for "A new flippy cap."
If oil still leaks and gas is ok,maybe it's
the threads inside the tank.

Hope this helps.

Flippy caps are the shiznit when they're working good, but can be a pain when they start tearing up.

I would say that if you are screwing it on right and it still leaks that the cap is defective. Would they be covered under warranty?

They have always worked good for me except one time on my 260. The cap would snap in right but still leaked. Had to replace it. No problems ever since though.

Flippy Flappy crappy :buttkick: ....bring back the old caps !!

I actually like the flippys better than the screw in Stihl caps. Theres just no grip on them and they loosen easily unless you really tighten em down. Then they always get too tight and you need a scrench to open them.

Husky has the best caps. They have that raised center portion thats easy to grip and they seem to lock in place whe you tighten them. I never need a scrench to open them.

I actually like the flippys better than the screw in Stihl caps. Theres just no grip on them and they loosen easily unless you really tighten em down. Then they always get too tight and you need a scrench to open them.

Husky has the best caps. They have that raised center portion thats easy to grip and they seem to lock in place whe you tighten them. I never need a scrench to open them.
I just don't like the flippys on the Pro stihl saws ( they should be better Quality for the price & reputation ) and yeah your right ,the stihl screw in caps are not much better, for such a great saw there caps are a let down .... husky caps are far superior!

Try reverse engineering it by adding a rubber washer, this might help hold the cap tight. Or keep it as a backup saw and get a real saw like a 372 or 660.

I got a new homeowner Stihl for small jobs at the place I have worked during summer.
I didn`t wanted to take my own saw to use it so I tried with the MS 181.
it had a 35 cm b/c but when burried 30 cm in an cherry tree, just died on me.
took me forever to cut it with lots of jerking around.
Anyways...
three times (out of aprox 10), I have filled the oil tank and when I started the saw I noticed all the oil went down the drain. The cap was just simply loose as if never been locked.
I just can`t understand, for everything I did to lock it seemed right; the same thing I did at the gas tank and it was ok.
That oil cap seems to have a mind of it`s own.
What do you think ? it is defected or should I take some classes ?

Just get another cap! The oil caps were never the problem. The problem was with the gas caps and Stihl took a while to recognize & remedy the issue. The new "flip" caps are excellent. I would make sure the area is free of debris and if so and the problem persists goto the Stihl dealer & get another cap... If the problem presents itself with a new cap then have someone look at the case to see if there is a defect.

Flippy caps flat out suck ! thats it, nothing more, nothing less, they suck ! Another +1 for Husky with there antiquated screw in flush technology ! :rock:

The oil cap seems to have waaay more instances of "problems" than the gas cap.

My problem was there was a cracked piece of plastic where the two halves swivel.

New cap fixed the problem. Only could see the cracked part after removal from saw.

Sooo...if you're locking it correctly and still leaks...pull out and inspect swivel area.

There's some REAL thin plastic on the inside of the cap.
:cheers:
J2F

Only a true Stihl head can make flippy caps work. :D

I still have trouble with the one on my string trimmer, but it's a very good machine.

I've got myself a couple of older Stihls with the screw caps and two quite new Stihls with the flippies. All caps work great. The flippies, in other words, work great. It could be that the OP has a defective cap, I suppose. Stuff happens. But if the cap continues to come loose or you are unable to snug it to the locked position, something is wrong with the cap and perhaps needs to be replaced.

Yesterday, I was at a dealer's ordering a rim sprocket kit for my 211. Took the saw in just in case and the head mechanic there happened to assist me. He removed the flippy from the gas tank, put it back on [I was getting him to stick a tach on it as I live at 8500 ft. and he said it had come in set for Sea Level]...didn't ask why he checked the gas tank. But anyhow, when he put the flippy back on, he did not secure it. He picked it up to start it, and I pointed out that he hadn't secured the cap. So, that is one way it happens, brain fart. That does not sound like the OP's deal, though. The mechanic almost dumped fuel all over his legs but not because it was a flippy but, rather, 'cuz he didn't tighten the cap. I once did that with a screw cap: I didn't fail to tighten it, I simply forgot to screw the stupid thing on at all and left it hanging open.

Last edited:
Ya know, I've always wondered why they don't make a flip-up screw cap.

Like have a flip up lever on the cap that gives you a good grip like the flippy caps have now, but without the snap in place part. Just a flip top screw cap and we'd all be very pleased I would think.

I've been thinking about trying to engineer some on my 660 just to see if I could make it work.

Only a true Stihl head can make flippy caps work. :D

I still have trouble with the one on my string trimmer, but it's a very good machine.

I have had no issues with the flippy caps on my MS361, but I need to look closely at what I am doing when putting them on - if not thay can leak, even though it feels like they lock in place.

man, I just put the cap, I twist and everything seem to be in place and seemingly I lock it. when I start cutting I just see the cap on the floor. I can`t get at the bottom of this; it sometimes stays, sometimes it fells. the gas cap works just fine.

Count, I think I would get it back to the dealer ASAP. It could very well be a defect in the case. If it is that, you'll probably need to get it replaced under warranty. If it's not the case, at least you'll have a new cap.

Back