brand new Stihl oil flippy cap problems.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man, I just put the cap, I twist and everything seem to be in place and seemingly I lock it. when I start cutting I just see the cap on the floor. I can`t get at the bottom of this; it sometimes stays, sometimes it fells. the gas cap works just fine.

My 211 oil cap has been given me fits a little bit lately too. The gas cap seems fine.

man, I just put the cap, I twist and everything seem to be in place and seemingly I lock it. when I start cutting I just see the cap on the floor. I can`t get at the bottom of this; it sometimes stays, sometimes it fells. the gas cap works just fine.

I have had a couple instances of "it's locked" and it wasn't. Seems there is a way that it will go 'almosst' on and lock but it isn't fully "there". Most of my oiled/gassed leg syndrome is all in my head, as in "forgot the cap again dooood!".

Harry K

I dont mind them but I can't stand the cable/rope fasteners that are SUPPOSED to hold them in the tank yet every saw I own has lost the caps due to them dang things failing!

I have several Stihls but no flippy caps

On my 025 you have to snug the oil and gas caps with the scrench or they will vibrate off immediately if just finger tight and you start the saw. I have the oily shoes to prove it. The other Stihls are no problem.

I must have been lucky. I haven't had any trouble with my 290 flippy caps. That being said, hopefully, you guys can find something that works to keep them from leaking.

Pssssst, the problem is all you my friend.....go and get some classes at your Stihl dealer....he'll probably deny the problem anyway and show you a vid from Tom Hall how to use them correctly....:sucks:

Someone call about a flip cap, good grief, not again, where's that vid, yup get it up and running Joe, we got another one complaining,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

ITHURTSME.mp4 video by THALL10326 - Photobucket

Someone call about a flip cap, good grief, not again, where's that vid, yup get it up and running Joe, we got another one complaining,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

ITHURTSME.mp4 video by THALL10326 - Photobucket

Sorry THALL10326, what was that vid about...................the music took me away,back to my childhood growing up at home :smile2:

Sorry THALL10326, what was that vid about...................the music took me away,back to my childhood growing up at home :smile2:

I put that lil vid up for my buddy Belgian a long time ago when he was fussing about those flip caps. I was letting him know its hurts me they cause him so much trouble yet I have no problem with them at all, listen to the song and watch me point at Belgian in the end of the viddy o, too funny,hehe

Sometimes you have to take the cap and twist the inner workings a bit to make it stay put. They get out of alignment. I can't remember, but I think I have the golf tee pointing to the edges of the part that needs occasional twisting.

211089d1323699663-flippycap20001-jpg

211090d1323699671-flippycap10001-jpg

View attachment 211089View attachment 211090

Last edited:
I put that lil vid up for my buddy Belgian a long time ago when he was fussing about those flip caps. I was letting him know its hurts me they cause him so much trouble yet I have no problem with them at all, listen to the song and watch me point at Belgian in the end of the viddy o, too funny,hehe

Haha, too funny ya say.....you gotsssa pay....grrrrrr.

Fact is however that one Stihl owner out of two has problems with them sucker caps....that's not something to brag about in Stihl camp...:msp_thumbdn:

Being an ancient Stihl head, it hurts my soul to see that Stihl doesn't listen to the complaints. That also explains why them germans lost WWII I guess....:hmm3grin2orange:

I doubt the flippy caps were a problem in WW2.The American B24 liberator(s) that bombed the livin pizz out of the stihl plant might have had something to do with it. Major “King” Kong will show you how to do it right; in german to boot.

Riding the bomb - YouTube

Sometimes you have to take the cap and twist the inner workings a bit to make it stay put. They get out of alignment. I can't remember, but I think I have the golf tee pointing to the edges of the part that needs occasional twisting.

211089d1323699663-flippycap20001-jpg

211090d1323699671-flippycap10001-jpg

View attachment 211089View attachment 211090

Yep I jerked around 10 minutes trying to get a gas cap back on. Until I dicovered that the cap needs the realignment twist you speak of. I was so aggrevated that the gas cap would not go on I was ready to throw the saw. I also when installing the caps shake them side to side with a pull to make sure they are locked in place.

Its kind of peculiar but the only trouble I have ever had with the flippy caps is the oil cap on the MS200 and MS200T. The 361 I had was never an issue.

Perhaps it has something to do with the actual mount castings. :msp_confused:

If you over-fill the oil, the flippys aren't much fun... they have to displace a lot of oil to get in there, it tends to be a mess.

I had a 260 that leaked oil at the cap. Bought a new cap and that fixed it. My dad has a 260 with flippy issues -- I think the gas tank threads are messed up.

I like the idea and the over-engineering, but I've seen enough trouble with em to have cooled on the flippies.

I'll take the screw in caps please

I had trouble from day one with the oil cap on my 261. And I know it's on me, but I think it's every bit the poor design that others have noted on this forum. I've not yet had a leak, but it's only because I've learned to try and shake the cap loose after I have attempted to tighten it properly.

I think part of the issue is the crud that collects around the cap and the difficulty my old eyes have in trying to align everything as I put them back on. The very first time I filled the tank, I probably spent 5 minutes trying to put the cap on correctly.

If there was a conversion kit to replace these caps, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Sometimes a product idea comes up so asinine that you just have to shake your head and wonder at the fanboys who promote it.

Back