Brand new tree not budding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a yoshino cherry tree last fall from the national arbor day foundation's website.

I planted it immediatly (at the correct depth), watered it carefully, and mulched it adequately. This spring, however, the small buds aren't growing. No signs of life. The rest of the trees around here have already budded out.

Do yoshinos lag behind the other trees?

Is there any way to tell if it is still alive? I know you can scratch the bark to see if it is still green underneath, but I'm scared to do that incase the scratch harms the tree.

What to do?

Just scratch away a little of the bark at the end a branch. If you see green wood the tree is alive. If so just be patient. You didn't do anything to girdle the tree during the winter did you? You didn't shovel the snow mixed with de-icer on it did you?

You don't see any rodent damage near the base of the tree, do you ?
Just wondering. Mise and voles love that tender bark.

No, no damage that I can see, and no abuse from me (that I can think of). The tree is planted in the backyard, so there wouldn't be any street disturbances.

The only thing out of the oridinary is the tree sags. It came with a rod attached to it to keep the trunk straight. I took this rod off after a couple of weeks, and it has slowly curved, I guess from the weight of the tree. It is a gentle curve, but the top ends up parallel with the ground. The tree is only about 3-4' tall, so I am assuming the tree will right itself.

no green isn't good. it should be at least setting buds.

The buds are there, but they are very immature and haven't changed since this winter. No plumping up, no change in color.

The other yoshinos in town are finished blooming and are now leafed out. I wasn't expecting blooms this year, but I was expecting leaves.

Yes, I'm in KY, but I haven't found any yoshinos for sale locally. Maybe I need to broaden my search.
Before you do, check your site and your mgt needs. I had to do some fairly hard pruning on some yoshinos this past winter for folks who did not know they'd be 40' x 40'.

If I was to buy a cherry tree I would pick a smaller one that made fruit I could eat. But yoshinos are great small shade trees in the right place.

Thanks for the advice. The site I have picked out is in the backyard. There are some mature redbud trees on either side of it, but there is about 50 ft between them. I think that is enough room, plus the redbuds are pretty mature, and I don't think they'll live long enough to see the mature yoshino. I am either going to put in a yoshino or a big shade tree like a tulip poplar, so I think I have enough room.

The reason I like the yoshino is because of the fragrance, blooms, and tradition (my college campus had about 12-15 in a semi-circle).

However, if anyone has a better suggestion I'll listen to it.

Back