Break in: 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stgcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How many tanks do y'all who have 372s does it take to break in? 10-15 ish?

They are pretty limber after a couple tanks but like you say, they are considered fully broken in by 10 tanks.

Run it like you stole it.

for the first 3-5 tanks run it loaded in wood without pushing it to the point of lugging it. no free revving it for a little bit. lots will say run it like you stole it right away which works too as i have done it that way before as well but i just like to get a few tanks of break in on it before i go start free revving the **** out of it like so many people here on AS like to do.

Yeah I heard that after 10'or so tanks you should tell a difference with power. It cuts great already though

If yer still on yer first tanks, I followed advice here and set the H rich enuf that it slightly 4 stroked WOT in the cut. After two tanks I readjusted it to 4 stroke outa the cut only. We're at about 15 tanks and it just now seems to have leveled off at peak performance. Not a 372 but a 365xt, so same same.

trim limiter caps...make sure its not running lean....use good oil at 40:1....run the piss out of it..

There's no reason to ever run a saw 4-stroking in the cut. All you'll do is carbon it up.

But Brad, it was from a post of yers that I got this. Guess I've been giving bad advice from here...

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/video-how-to-tune-a-chainsaw.113538/

In yer video, 1st cut, it's 4 stroking a little all the way thru the cut, as you point out. Then, on the 2d page of the thread, Trigger Man asked whether for a new saw you'd recommend running the 1st tank the way yer saw was set for the 1st cut, and you said "Absolutely. That's where I'd like it for a tank or two."

I understood you to be saying that it would not 2-stroke at all in the cut, all 4-stroking. That would be too rich, even for break-in. An occasional 4-stroke, especially with lighter load, as in the vid above, would be fine for a couple tanks. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Kool. I'll be careful to be clear to others, emphasis on "slightly." Thanks. Thing is, people will worry/wonder about "break-in" anyway, and this at least gets us thinking/learning about good tuning f/ the outset, which is a good thing. Might be a while before all is auto-tune.

I use that husqvarna oil. It's good quality and I mix about 40:1 all the time. I haven't touched the carb at all I'm no saw expert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I hear some people using tach when tuning. Is that best? I usually will adjust the high screw to where it leans out (screams at wot) then I'll turn it back a few clicks to richen it up

I got a tach early on, cuz I was worried about the limiting coil mimicking a 4 stroke at WOT and no load, but then I just found it so much easier to tune it in the wood from the fat side and as per Brad's excellent video tutorial linked above. Never understood why it isn't a sticky. Besides, it isn't like we'll take a tach out every time we mix a new batch, the temps change, etc., and I like knowin how I'm running (prefer a tad rich H setting that cleans up in the wood usin 40:1 mix of Ultra).

Yeah I think i broke her in properly with 40:1 ratioImageUploadedByTapatalk1397607194.940170.jpg with

Back