Break in of a new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENN

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I used my new Stihl 260 c quite a lot today - 2 big trees where taken down and made to firewood

The saw is realy excelent - has lot of power and is easy to use (at least to me who have only had "consumer saws" before)

I have burned 3 tanks of gas (I use Stihl`s own premixed gas (2%) that I can buy here in Denmark)

When can i considder the saw as fully broken in?

Next week my Husquarna 346 xp should arrive - and then i can realy compare them

I like the "toolless" chain tensioner system - it makes it fast and easy to adjust the chain - and it is very easy to dismantle the bar and chain for cleaning

Another question:

I take the bar off after use and clean it with compressed air - i also make a fast cleaning of the saw - is there anything else I should do after use to maintain my new saws?

new saw

congrats on the new toy errr new tool.as to breakin 20 tanks of fuel an the saw will be good to go :) as too second question should flip the bar over and grease the tip if it has the option.:popcorn: :clap:
:greenchainsaw:

I think after 5 tanks break in is pretty much complete.

Make sure you keep the air filter clean.

They really sell premixed gas in Denmark??

Per the manual on my 260 Pro, it states 3 tanks and it's broken in. I assume by this they mean the rings have seated and tolerances are wore in. In terms of when it reaches its full power potential I'd guess closer to when you've burned through 10 tanks of gas.

I take the bar off after use and clean it with compressed air - i also make a fast cleaning of the saw - is there anything else I should do after use to maintain my new saws?

You are smarter than most already by giving that saw and bar a quick cleaning after every use. :yourock:

A knife blade run though the groove of the bar, plus a little blast of air, will clean it out easily. Blow out the 'oil' feeding holes in the bar too as the one not in use will clog easily, which you want to be open when you flip the bar for reinstallation. Blow the dust off the air filter. Remove the chain drive cover and blow things off good inside around that area. As mentioned above, flip the bar upside down each time for good uniform wear, being as you have it off. If I could get the volunteers at a local preserve to do those simple things, half the repairs I do would never be necessary.

you shouln't rev up a saw out of the wood when its not broken in yet (although you can let it slide when trying to get a tach reading). but after 5 tanks it should be good. after 10 it definatly will be good.
make sure you adjust yoru carb after the first 5 then check it agian after 10.

I used my new Stihl 260 c quite a lot today - 2 big trees where taken down and made to firewood

The saw is realy excelent - has lot of power and is easy to use (at least to me who have only had "consumer saws" before)

I have burned 3 tanks of gas (I use Stihl`s own premixed gas (2%) that I can buy here in Denmark)

When can i considder the saw as fully broken in?

Next week my Husquarna 346 xp should arrive - and then i can realy compare them

I like the "toolless" chain tensioner system - it makes it fast and easy to adjust the chain - and it is very easy to dismantle the bar and chain for cleaning

Another question:

Another thing that you need to do with your Bar. Take a small "T" Square, and make sure that your Rails of the Bar are the same height. Also take a Hone, and remove the Burrs of the edges of the Bar Rails.
I place the Bar flat on the work bentch, and take the Hone, Same angle as sharpening a Knife, and make a few passes over the edge, and remove the Burrs from the Bar. AFile will also work too.
Bruce.

Per the manual on my 260 Pro, it states 3 tanks and it's broken in. I assume by this they mean the rings have seated and tolerances are wore in. In terms of when it reaches its full power potential I'd guess closer to when you've burned through 10 tanks of gas.

Also per my 260 Pro manual, after 5-15 tanks your saw should reach peak power.

Might want to pull the clutch off once or twice a year to grease the needle bearings in there. I use wheel brg. grease, works good. (Not too much)
I use White Lithium Grease for my Clutch Bearings. I find that is the best, and it is a lot more tackier than the wheel bearing grease. Every time I pull the clutch, there is still a slight residue of the White Lithium Grease left on the crank shaft. The Wheel bearing Grease is almost gone, or dry on the crank shaft. Depending on how much wood I cut, I do this maybe three or four times a year. Bruce.

Back