Break in technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think of a new ms200t I've had about nine or ten years ago, I hung in a tree and let it idle for a whole tank, then another tank at half throttle, I'd researched and this had been recommended. It never ran like the beaten up 020t's it replaced, it never felt like it should. I've done it properly since and the difference was noticeable, though maybe that saw was bad anyway, dunno

I think with modern engines and lubricants that a break-in is not needed.

Saws, Trimmers, Blowers etc none of my stuff have died yet because of break-in and only one needed help because of rotted fuel lines.

It is needed, the rings still need to seat and it is the most important time for this to happen. But it is usually the opposite of what people think, they baby it and the rings do not seat or only partial and they get blowby and lower compression or oil burning in a 4 stroke. If I tear one down that has excessive blowby I usually ask the customer how they broke it in and the story is "almost" always the same. Oh we did not run it hard, never full throttle and did a bazillion "heat cycles" by warming it up with no load. Great you did just about everything wrong. Almost anything that I build up or rebuild is broke in by me and ring sealing is a non issue along with oil burning. By doing this it has eliminated 90% of my headaches and makes happy customers. [unless they are there when the stuff gets broke in then a few have fits, but if they want me to stand behind it, that's the way it is going to be!] A trimmer, blower or marine engine is usually run under load so issues here are few. The ones who "just want to hear it run" are the worst, USE IT HARD. Rant over. CJ

I think of a new ms200t I've had about nine or ten years ago, I hung in a tree and let it idle for a whole tank, then another tank at half throttle, I'd researched and this had been recommended. It never ran like the beaten up 020t's it replaced, it never felt like it should. I've done it properly since and the difference was noticeable, though maybe that saw was bad anyway, dunno

Perfect example, if you would have checked compression I would bet it was on the low side. Glazed cylinder at a minimum. A quick hone and some 400 grit to knock the shine off the rings and it would have been good to go. Most mfg recommend a easy break in and I think it is so the stuff does not get the crap beat out of it. A lot of your bigger ticket items are run in on a dyno when new so this is handled before the customer ever sees the unit. KTM even does this with 2 stroke dirt bikes. CJ

Back