Broke a raker off my chain, is it cashed out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was cutting up some apricot stumps, and sure enough I smacked a chunk of metal that was caught in the wood many years ago... at first I was mad because I had to go file the chain again, after doing so not 5 minutes earlier...

But as I filed the chains I noticed one raker came up missing! Is the chain done for safety reasons? Or would it still be functional?

If I need any excuse to snag a few LGX chains, this is it:hmm3grin2orange:

Missing raker

I had that happen once, and simply took an angle grinder and carefully ground off the corresponding cutter. It worked fine after that. If you try to use it like it is, it will cut too deep a chip every time that tooth comes around, and will jump badly each time (I tried that before deciding to grind off the cutter.) It should be noted that skip chains used for ripping lengthwise with the grain have cutter/raker teeth separated by additional blank links. Gene Gauss

One missing isn't a big deal. If bothers you, your local saw shop can punch it out and replace the link/cutter etc.

Yup, grind off the cutter that goes with the missing raker, you will just have a short section of skip chain in the loop, but you wont notice it.

Ian

Thanks for the replies, I hate to waste a Stihl chain thats got 90% of its life left...

Ill grind the cutter off, that should be the fastest way to get it back into action.

Back