Broken Bolts, It's Always Broken Bolts That Get Me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You haven't had any fun at all until you do a spark plug change on a 5.4 three valve Ford at about 100,000 miles 5 out of 8 broke off.

4out of 8 for me...but same engine in an E-350 van...with NO room to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You haven't had any fun at all until you do a spark plug change on a 5.4 three valve Ford at about 100,000 miles 5 out of 8 broke off.
Yeah and the guys that came up that magnificent design were all making 6 figures ++ because theys edumucated an smart n all. And you can be sure that more than few Ford engineers had a look at that design on drawing board and all thought they were looking at the next "best thing". Just proves once again that you can't teach intelligence.

Maybe Ford didn't know the problem would occur 100K miles down the road but when a fellow buys a new truck and takes it in for a tune up and they hose him for over a grand that ain't wright.:nofunny:

Jam that ceramic insulator into the head then it seizes with carbon (carbon? In a combustion chamber??) Seriously, not much thought went into the longevity aspect of that design. But even so, like you said, Ford should have owned up to their mistake and footed the bill for those extractions.

The use of antiseize and "loctite" has ended most of my broken bolt issues. but you aren't usually the one who has assembled the item you are taking apart. but I do find a set of left twist drill bits very handy. Run your drill in reverse and drill the bolt. Often as the drill is drilling, it will just unwind the bolt. If I am working on an item I suspect will have bolts that shear, then a preapplication of PB blaster as stated above seems to help.

The absolute worst problems I've had (and ironically enough the latest I've dealt with) were with Loctite'd bolts. Snapped clean and flush while undoing them.
I know: use a heat gun. But it's kinda hard to heat in certain places...

Can anyone suggest any brand of left hand drill bits? Even with shipping and taxes it's just cheaper to have shipped over from the US. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what do you people think of this set? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Handed-Drill-Bit-Set-Screw-Extractor-EZ-OUT-Lifetime-Warranty-Drill-Hog-USA-/181850968817?hash=item2a572992f1:g:J4oAAOSwHnFV4g0r
Even with shipping and taxes is far cheaper than anything we have here. It's SAE size and 95% of what i deal with is metric but I think that's not a big deal.

Seems to be a fair price.
It appears that the larger bits are not a round shank. (where the chuck clamps)
I prefer a round shank when drilling with large bits especially for easy outs, etc, so if the bit hangs it will slip instead of grab and break off or severe twist.
Could probably grind off the shank down to the round shank area.

Just my 2 cents.

It's all been said, but my normal formula -
Kroil.
Left handed drill bits.
Percussion.
Work counterclockwise and clockwise when trying to loosen.
Heat/cold.
And when it doesn't work, drill out and go with perma-coil or TimeSert.
And if you can.......find center with a mill and use an endmill to take out the center of the bolt and never touch the parent material. Loves my mill. Lol

I prefer a round shank when drilling with large bits especially for easy outs, etc, so if the bit hangs it will slip instead of grab and break off or severe twist.

Just my 2 cents.
They don't look like split point either.
Screw Machine drills would be the bees knees.
Short, split point and M42 cobalt tool steel.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. Any other product I should look for?

I've had very good luck welding a nut on and turning out the broken bolt, might take a few tries but I've only had a couple not come out.

I know that trick, but my weldding "skills" are not exactly "skills". As my father told me decades ago: "You'd better never touch a welding machine again in your life". I've respectfully followed that advice ever since.

Back