Broken carb piece

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneStaple

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey,

I was rebuilding the carb for my Stihl 026, a Walbro WT-22B. It was mostly back together, and I managed to break the arm off (ugh, don't ask) that holds the idle adjust screw. See the pictures for the break location.

What would you do now? Is that fuel pump cover trash now? Or can it be repaired with something like JB Weld and bracing? This seems like a part that shouldn't see much force in this area.

Thanks,
Tyler

PXL_20230730_020021740.jpg

PXL_20230730_020051877.jpg

I had a similar problem on a Makuni carb for a Polaris snowmobile once. Dropped it on floor while cleaning and broke off 1 tower that held the pin for the float arm that ran the needle and seat.

My solution was to use a really small roll pin. Drill a hole in each broken piece in the center as best as you can. Use a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the roll pin. Then use pliers to press the broken chunk onto the main body of carb with a slight twisting motion to compress the roll pin.

You can also use some JB Weld on the 2 pieces as they push together for good measure. This fix is still working to this day in that old sled as far as I know!

Thanks all for the thoughts. It seems like I might be able to pull off a repair, but the better choice, especially for the long term, is probably just to replace the piece or carb.

Yes, that model carb appears to be obsolete, but there seem to be some OEM pieces available and some cheap aftermarket replacements. Shipping might be as much as the piece.

I've seen some comments about using the WT-194 on the 026. Would that be a straight carb swap and a good option? With some quick searching, that seems a little more readily available.

I have a friend with a large box of those carbs and misc parts as he used to build 026s.
If your friend is looking for some help with clearing up space, I'm interested in that cover!

Thanks,
Tyler

Thanks all for the thoughts. It seems like I might be able to pull off a repair, but the better choice, especially for the long term, is probably just to replace the piece or carb.

Yes, that model carb appears to be obsolete, but there seem to be some OEM pieces available and some cheap aftermarket replacements. Shipping might be as much as the piece.

I've seen some comments about using the WT-194 on the 026. Would that be a straight carb swap and a good option? With some quick searching, that seems a little more readily available.

If your friend is looking for some help with clearing up space, I'm interested in that cover!

Thanks,
Tyler
I’ll pick one up tomorrow when I go over to his place.
it will cost you postage…probably a couple bucks.
he has a large box of those but doesn’t build 026s anymore.

I had a similar problem on a Makuni carb for a Polaris snowmobile once. Dropped it on floor while cleaning and broke off 1 tower that held the pin for the float arm that ran the needle and seat.

My solution was to use a really small roll pin. Drill a hole in each broken piece in the center as best as you can. Use a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the roll pin. Then use pliers to press the broken chunk onto the main body of carb with a slight twisting motion to compress the roll pin.

You can also use some JB Weld on the 2 pieces as they push together for good measure. This fix is still working to this day in that old sled as far as I know!
re: the skills of the Dentist and Watchmaker

It's not quite identical on the inside, but I assume the differences are inconsequential. Agreed?

TylerView attachment 1101597
I would think they need to match or the diaphragm and gasket won’t work.
Lee does have another complete carb that looks exactly like yours but that one won’t be free :p

but, the pics look identical other than the upper #. Lower # matches.

the throttle screw part doesn’t quite match.

My throttle screw has a chunk of rubber on it. It's easy to just swap screws.

I think all the critical areas of the cover match, and the gasket should work with the minor differences. But I'm also not an expert on these, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong! The main difference seems to be the area that's dug out in the upper left.

Perhaps we should move this past of the conversation to PMs, but if this cover won't work, let me know what he wants for the full carb.

Tyler

PXL_20230802_000718385.jpg

PXL_20230802_000705581.jpg

My throttle screw has a chunk of rubber on it. It's easy to just swap screws.

I think all the critical areas of the cover match, and the gasket should work with the minor differences. But I'm also not an expert on these, so feel free to tell me I'm wrong! The main difference seems to be the area that's dug out in the upper left.

Perhaps we should move this past of the conversation to PMs, but if this cover won't work, let me know what he wants for the full carb.

Tyler

View attachment 1101604

View attachment 1101605
If BOTH carbs are WT's then the cover should fit.

Latest posts

Back