Brush and debris pile burning in cold weather?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, Bill, you're missing the point. I choose not to litter not because it's illegal, but because it's unethical. I choose not to burn tires for the same reason, not to spur trims for the same reason, not to top trees for the same reason... this forum is dedicated to promoting best industry practices, and burning tires just ain't one of them....

No, Bill, you're missing the point. I choose not to litter not because it's illegal, but because it's unethical. I choose not to burn tires for the same reason, not to spur trims for the same reason, not to top trees for the same reason... this forum is dedicated to promoting best industry practices, and burning tires just ain't one of them....
That is your opinion. You have voiced it. Now stop with the insults.

That is not good industry practice.
That is not good human practice.
That is not professional.

"Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching..." C.S. Lewis...

It honestly pains me to watch your tortured arguments to justify a poor practice. I grew up on a farm in southeastern Kansas, and we used old motor oil for dust control, and diesel for weed killer... I know better now... I'm just amazed at the extremes you are willing to go to justifying this.

I have walked off jobs because they wanted me to engage in poor practices. There is nothing illegal about topping trees or spurring trims, but I've never lived my life worrying about whether it was legal, just if it was moral.

"Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching..." C.S. Lewis...

It honestly pains me to watch your tortured arguments to justify a poor practice. I grew up on a farm in southeastern Kansas, and we used old motor oil for dust control, and diesel for weed killer... I know better now... I'm just amazed at the extremes you are willing to go to justifying this.

I have walked off jobs because they wanted me to engage in poor practices. There is nothing illegal about topping trees or spurring trims, but I've never lived my life worrying about whether it was legal, just if it was moral.
Good for you.

Did you speed today?
Did you swear today?
Did you take the Lord's name in vain?

Just remember every time you point a finger at someone there are three pointing back at you.

The practices I employ are tried, true, tested, and effective. PERIOD

Good for you.

Did you speed today?
Did you swear today?

Just remember every time you point a finger at someone there are three pointing back at you.

The practices I employ are tried, true, tested, and effective. PERIOD
Well, no, no, and no. Burn all the tires you want. If that's the only way you can start a fire, that says a lot

I start every fire with a single match.
which then lights a tire, to light the big pile

yes, your tire IS starting the fire, your match never touches a piece of brush...
Do you speed?
wtf does this have to do with burning tires?

Did you speed today?
Did you swear today?
damn right I did all 3, multiple times, hundreds of times even, and thats just today alone, but you know what I didn't do? burn tires, why? because its illegal, immoral, wrong, dangerous and stupid, just like you!

damn right I did all 3, multiple times, hundreds of times even, and thats just today alone, but you know what I didn't do? burn tires, why? because its illegal, immoral, wrong, dangerous and stupid, just like you!
Speeding is
Illegal
A crime in Illinois in excess of 30mph over posted
Totally wrong
Highly immoral
Very dangerous
Extremely stupid

Yes Bill, I think we can all agree that speeding is illegal... you just seem to be the only one that can't concede the point that burning tires is also illegal...
I have never said it was not a citable offense, not one damn time! What I have said is that it is tried, true, proven and it is effective. It works and is done quite often but possibly not in your tiny bubble. That is your issue not others. Although it is a citable offense it is not a criminal offense and not once in all my life have I ever known a single person to be cited for it. PERIOD.

For whatever reason you want to continue to hound me about a standard practice. You and a few others have totally destroyed the man's thread with your attitudes and insults. I really do not know why. Possibly you are bored.......I do not know.

Because it's not a standard practice! It's your standard practice. In 20 years in this industry I have never seen a single professional company start a burn pile with a damn tire. If you want to continue to do it, go ahead, just stop trying to justify it. By your own admission it is illegal, and that isn't what this site is about. This site is about advancing the industry and promoting safe, ethical and LEGAL practices.

Because it's not a standard practice! It's your standard practice. In 20 years in this industry I have never seen a single professional company start a burn pile with a damn tire. If you want to continue to do it, go ahead, just stop trying to justify it. By your own admission it is illegal, and that isn't what this site is about. This site is about advancing the industry and promoting safe, ethical and LEGAL practices.
I know of industrial power generator stations that burn used tires as a fuel to produce electricity.
They changed from coal. Old tires are cheaper and need to be disposed somewhere.

If they don't end up burning them here. Companies will ship them elsewhere to be disposed of the same way.

There's not one company in business that is willing to loose money on proper disposal. It always goes to the cheapest spot.

Funny how we call ourselves a high society when most everything that gets built is built by the lowest bidder. Not who has the best product, or the best material.

I know of industrial power generator stations that burn used tires as a fuel to produce electricity.
They changed from coal. Old tires are cheaper and need to be disposed somewhere.

In an industrial furnace with very high combustion temperatures, tires may burn as clean, perhaps even cleaner than coal.

pause for investigation...

Yes indeed. Tires do burn cleaner than coal in properly designed cement kiln.
"Compared with coal combustion, tire combustion has lower emissions to ensure that its combustion in cement kilns is safe for the environment"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7931440/

It is about helping a homeowner solve his or her problem..................hence

Back