BTU to Kcal/hr conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a comparison of stove specs to the kerosene stove I have been spot heating the house with. It's all in Japanese but I figured out that it's claiming 3.2KW or 2750 Kcal/hr.

My question is this: When you see btu numbers, are they really "btu/hr" numbers? All the online calculators I see don't have just "btu" listed.

Ian

You're right, when you see ratings for furnaces, wood stoves, grills etc. those really are btu/hr. Amount of heat by itself doesn't tell you much, it's at what rate can it put heat out that is important.

Ok, if that's the case, then it's easy for me to have a frame of reference for how much heat this thing will put out.

thanks,
Ian

Wow I am amazed at the varying numbers I found for BTU's per gallon of K1
anywhere from 91344 to 142000. So if you consume 2 gallons of fuel per day, You have released somewhere between 180k and 280k btus. Mid way ratings. 240 k divided by 20 hours is only 12,000 btus per hour/.

I suppose how you burn it determines how many BTUs you see. How long will a cord of wood heat your home? Largely depends on what you're burning it in. 75% eff. wood stove or 50% eff. OWB. What's in your wallet? :)

The stove claims 55k BTU and the kerosene heater I've been using is claiming about 11K btu, so I can equate the stove to about 5 kerosene heaters when it's wide open or 3 when cruising along at a middle of the road burn rate.

Ian

Last edited:
Back