Bucket Truck Boom Left Elevated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaverb01

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I see line clearing and power company outfits leaving the boom elevated on their bucket trucks when not in use. Can anyone tell me why? Is it to maintain pressure on the hydraulics or some other reason? I always store mine in the cradle/transport position. Is there a better way?

Thanks,

Beaver

some off them leave them up a little to pull up to the next set up i would never leave mine up when going down the road.

If you mean slightly elevated and centred while parked overnight, they're running a leak-down test.

Check height at designated point in PM, check again at designated point in AM. Big change means further investigation required.

RedlineIt

they might just do it because they don't feel like putting it down, or maybe it's a form of advertising - they're drawing attention to their equipment.

Leak down test? Maybe on an old unit, but seems like they should have counter balance valves or pilot operated check valves to prevent leak down in the first place.

makes them harder to steal too with the ORs down and boom up @20 degrees

drift test is also a possability, but I never left it overnight like that. usually set markers on the booms and let it sit for a few hours at the most.
-Ralph

i have asplundh rite next to my yard they put the booms up because they leave the hydro saws on the upper boom and there climber saws in the bucket no testing going on:clap:

Back