Chip and bucket truck mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Massachusetts, I run into some BS dealing with trucks. I have an 84 GMC C30 rated for 11k. 2wd with a dump bed, 4speed and a mild built small block. Weighs in at 6k, light for a 1ton dump. It has the heavy duty 14 bolt with huge drums, bigger and thicker C&C FRame with re-enforcement from the factory (more that I added) new 13 pack leafs with helpers, 6.2 diesel front springs and lower control arms (cheap way to lift the front of a gas square body and get the bigger springs). The lower weight is a 2wd reg cab, gas engine, no computers/safety **** and a sparse interior. Keeps the payload high relative to the registered weight. Now…I have the truck registered for 10k even. I have to register commercial ($200 for 1 year) since it’s dual wheels. At 10,001 you need a DOT inspection. I don’t need to. But every year I have to remind the inspector that it’s commercial/nonDOT. I hate going it’s always a problem but I always get a sticker.

In Massachusetts, I run into some BS dealing with trucks. I have an 84 GMC C30 rated for 11k. 2wd with a dump bed, 4speed and a mild built small block. Weighs in at 6k, light for a 1ton dump. It has the heavy duty 14 bolt with huge drums, bigger and thicker C&C FRame with re-enforcement from the factory (more that I added) new 13 pack leafs with helpers, 6.2 diesel front springs and lower control arms (cheap way to lift the front of a gas square body and get the bigger springs). The lower weight is a 2wd reg cab, gas engine, no computers/safety **** and a sparse interior. Keeps the payload high relative to the registered weight. Now…I have the truck registered for 10k even. I have to register commercial ($200 for 1 year) since it’s dual wheels. At 10,001 you need a DOT inspection. I don’t need to. But every year I have to remind the inspector that it’s commercial/nonDOT. I hate going it’s always a problem but I always get a sticker.
I just bought a bucket truck out of Ma all kinds of stickers on it for inspections and such. Seems y’all do allot more then we do in Mi

I just bought a bucket truck out of Ma all kinds of stickers on it for inspections and such. Seems y’all do allot more then we do in Mi
In this limp wristed state, if you have your own business, own firearm(s), own a home, or value individualism it can be difficult. Worse if you live in a city. In the town I’m in its great. But the state ******** that you can’t avoid (inspections, registration) suck. In Mass, you need a liscence to buy a firearm. Have to take a safety course, submit to your PD, then it get proecessed thru the state police. In Boston or the towns outside it, almost impossible. Similar with the other cities. With the trucks, DOT is always looking to bag guys. But, every time I go to the scrap yard some junky will pull in with a beat to piss 1/2 ton truck, dragging the bumper overloaded with a valid inspection sticker.

In this limp wristed state, if you have your own business, own firearm(s), own a home, or value individualism it can be difficult. Worse if you live in a city. In the town I’m in its great. But the state ******** that you can’t avoid (inspections, registration) suck. In Mass, you need a liscence to buy a firearm. Have to take a safety course, submit to your PD, then it get proecessed thru the state police. In Boston or the towns outside it, almost impossible. Similar with the other cities. With the trucks, DOT is always looking to bag guys. But, every time I go to the scrap yard some junky will pull in with a beat to piss 1/2 ton truck, dragging the bumper overloaded with a valid inspection sticker.
Yeah it never ends for a hard working individual

The DOT, DMV/BMV, and driver's license requirements should just be abolished altogether. To not let people drive without jumping through hoops is simply tyranny. Maybe insurance companies could require their own road tests performed by a third-party if they found it correlated with fewer accidents.

Thanks, MDS.

I haven't even hooked up a chipper yet, but I'll find out! I'm pretty sure the shoot of the chipper will be inside the truck. May need to make some adjustments!

I was down at the bandit dealer a while back and they had a 19xpc with a bolt on addition to the existing tongue. I was gonna type up this big description, but it was a pita so I just searched for a photo. Not exactly the same as the one I saw, but you get the idea.
0043B72B-FAFF-4FC5-AF04-D48978F42E1F.jpeg

This is a 14 foot body. You can see how if they just cut out for the toolbox it would’ve been just about right with the hitch. No big deal. I’m sure you’ll figure it out. Still a sweet truck! Just gonna need a little tweaking.
D99C13BA-D00A-43ED-B967-BFA2BBFF3040.jpeg8A122176-70D1-45BC-97C0-D2E619F82E4B.jpeg

Great idea with that tongue extension. I'll try to hook it up to a chipper today to see how it is and what adjustments should be made.

That tool box is gonna be the cat's meow. It's totally open so you can literally fit a couple crew members in there!

Lol, I’m. Sure it’s nothing like the old aspy Mexican boxes. My god, I’m sure if creepy old truck tool boxes could tell tales, those ones could lay it down lol.

Latest posts

Back