Building Up Dumper for Chips: What are must have features?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, if you plan on making lots of hoops, make yourself a hoop-forming template, then just go into fast manufacturing. Probably 3 minutes a hoop if you wish to have lots of them for many trucks. Or if perfect symmetry is important to you.
This is probably not worth the effort if you are only making hoops for one truck bed.
  1. Make 2 identical hoops, weld them together, side by side. These need to be made to the right size to form the inside curvature size of the final product.
  2. Make another hoop slightly smaller, and weld it to the inside of the first two. TRICKY: if this isn't the right shape, you will not be able to change it much! I recommend a slightly smaller width at the ends than on the corners of the curve. After all, that metal is going to spring back to a slightly bigger shape just a little bit when you release the "forming" pressure.
  3. Weld a tube on the base of one leg, slightly larger than the diameter of your top rail. This becomes the anchor point for future hoops to be formed.
  4. Add a strut/brace across the two ends, just to make sure it doesn't flex too much.
  5. Anchor your new hoop-maker to something substantial. A truck bed with stake pockets works pretty well.
  6. Make new (but identical) hoops by dropping one end of a 21-foot top rail into the anchor point. Pull the other end around your hoop-form until you reach the other side.
  7. Cut off the excess length on the finishing side.
Poof! One hoop completed.

Note: it is recommended to finish with the compressed end of a top rail section. Then you can save the cut off the end and use that piecs on other projects and both ends of your finished hoop will be the same diameter.

By the way, if you plan on making lots of hoops, make yourself a hoop-forming template, then just go into fast manufacturing. Probably 3 minutes a hoop if you wish to have lots of them for many trucks. Or if perfect symmetry is important to you.
This is probably not worth the effort if you are only making hoops for one truck bed.
  1. Make 2 identical hoops, weld them together, side by side. These need to be made to the right size to form the inside curvature size of the final product.
  2. Make another hoop slightly smaller, and weld it to the inside of the first two. TRICKY: if this isn't the right shape, you will not be able to change it much! I recommend a slightly smaller width at the ends than on the corners of the curve. After all, that metal is going to spring back to a slightly bigger shape just a little bit when you release the "forming" pressure.
  3. Weld a tube on the base of one leg, slightly larger than the diameter of your top rail. This becomes the anchor point for future hoops to be formed.
  4. Add a strut/brace across the two ends, just to make sure it doesn't flex too much.
  5. Anchor your new hoop-maker to something substantial. A truck bed with stake pockets works pretty well.
  6. Make new (but identical) hoops by dropping one end of a 21-foot top rail into the anchor point. Pull the other end around your hoop-form until you reach the other side.
  7. Cut off the excess length on the finishing side.
Poof! One hoop completed.

Note: it is recommended to finish with the compressed end of a top rail section. Then you can save the cut off the end and use that piecs on other projects and both ends of your finished hoop will be the same diameter.
or you could just make a plywood box.

...Also, is there a place I can kind of get audited to see my weight with cab full of saws, tools ropes chains gas... chips/logs...etc. without being subjected to a ticket if I'm running on the chubby side of 26k? ...
Take some scrap metal to the junk yard or a load of trash to the landfill. Or buy a load of stones. They all weigh before and after. I'd assume they all have audited scales - they have to be certified by the county here.

Also, is there a place I can kind of get audited to see my weight with cab full of saws, tools ropes chains gas... chips/logs...etc. without being subjected to a ticket if I'm running on the chubby side of 26k? I had my bed 3/4 full of 10ft logs yesterday and she was riding low. Leaf springs were looking close to their max.
find a CAT scale, its like $15 If I recall correctly, they are a certified scale that weighs every axle, within 10 pounds I believe
keep in mind, I may be wrong but im pretty sure physical weight doesnt matter, they will add up the trailer GVWR and truck GVWR, as long as the combined rating is 26000 or less, you do not need a CDL
add up your GCWR, if under 26K then its a full send 100% legal
now, make sure every axle is under its rated capacity also

use my bucket truck and dump trailer for example, 12K steer, 23K drive, and two 7K trailer axles, combined total is 49K right? sure, but each state is different, im allowed 20K per axle in TN, so now reduce the drive axle to a 20K rating since I cant exceed that anyhow, so now 46K, thats my new legal weight limit, although theres another issue, registration, tennessee uses commercial plates with the max legal weight on them, I would have to re-register my bucket truck for 50K pounds to be legal as the plates are for combined weight, MN might be different tho

now, CDL ONLY applied for commerce, with a learners permit anyone can jump in my bucket truck, towing that trailer with a scale weight of 46K, with air brakes, and be 100% legal as long as its for something like a drivers test or training, but not for work on company time

best to just look up the laws for your state, they are way to complex and as soon as you get into the commercial truck world or even close, it goes from tickets to jail really friggen fast

I may be wrong but im pretty sure physical weight doesnt matter, they will add up the trailer GVWR and truck GVWR, as long as the combined rating is 26000 or less, you do not need a CDL
add up your GCWR, if under 26K then its a full send 100% legal
now, make sure every axle is under its rated capacity also

Yes. That is how it works.

Unless you happen to go over the 26,000 limit with your true weight. I was reading the Missouri CDL handbook recently, and they have changed quite a bit. Missouri put an "or" in their rules so that exceeding 26k with either GVWR or gross weight will still put you into CDL territory.

Of course, getting over 26k on a non-CDL vehicle is probably going to be an overloaded vehicle, anyway.

Yes. That is how it works.

Unless you happen to go over the 26,000 limit with your true weight. I was reading the Missouri CDL handbook recently, and they have changed quite a bit. Missouri put an "or" in their rules so that exceeding 26k with either GVWR or gross weight will still put you into CDL territory.

Of course, getting over 26k on a non-CDL vehicle is probably going to be an overloaded vehicle, anyway.
not sure of each state, I believe federal law says the physical weight doesnt matter, but each state can have more strict rules
in most states you can go to 80K with air brakes and a manual without a CDL, just cant do that while making money is all

now, CDL ONLY applied for commerce, with a learners permit anyone can jump in my bucket truck, towing that trailer with a scale weight of 46K, with air brakes, and be 100% legal as long as its for something like a drivers test or training, but not for work on company time

Not quite. Like a regular learner's permit, you are still required to have a CDL driver with you at all times if you only have a learner's permit. Missouri is such a stickler about that, when you go to take the CDL test, they will ID your driver that brought you there, just to make sure nobody was cheating. If you fail to make that qualification, it is no test, tickets are forthcoming, and the truck is impounded until you get a qualified driver.

I'd be surprised to learn that Tennessee is any different.

Not quite. Like a regular learner's permit, you are still required to have a CDL driver with you at all times if you only have a learner's permit. Missouri is such a stickler about that, when you go to take the CDL test, they will ID your driver that brought you there, just to make sure nobody was cheating. If you fail to make that qualification, it is no test, tickets are forthcoming, and the truck is impounded until you get a qualified driver.

I'd be surprised to learn that Tennessee is any different.
what im saying is, CDL only applies if you're driving for work, the second you arent paid, its no longer a CMV, and can be driven by anyone just as legally as a ford ranger
what I said had nothing to do with a CDL learners permit, but instead the one you get at 15, the passenger "driver" doesnt need a CDL either, because its not a commercial vehicle

most RV's are well over 26000 pounds and most RVers dont have a CDL

not sure of each state, I believe federal law says the physical weight doesnt matter, but each state can have more strict rules
in most states you can go to 80K with air brakes and a manual without a CDL, just cant do that while making money is all

Don't try convincing them that your bucket truck is a recreational vehicle. They ain't buyin' it. Simply claiming that you aren't making any money isn't likely to get you out of a ticket. The cops will write a ticket, and let the judge sort it out.

I think the critical issue is not whether you are making money with a vehicle. The trick is whether it is a commercial vehicle, even if driven for personal reasons, it still requires a CDL. Now those rules get really mixed up when you start stirring in all the farm boys and their agricultural equipment. They get left alone by DOT for some things in some states.

Don't try convincing them that your bucket truck is a recreational vehicle. They ain't buyin' it. Simply claiming that you aren't making any money isn't likely to get you out of a ticket. The cops will write a ticket, and let the judge sort it out.

I think the critical issue is not whether you are making money with a vehicle. The trick is whether it is a commercial vehicle, even if driven for personal reasons, it still requires a CDL. Now those rules get really mixed up when you start stirring in all the farm boys and their agricultural equipment. They get left alone by DOT for some things in some states.
ill let you know if I ever go to jail for it, wont happen, I read the law, then read it again, yeah my bucket truck isnt a "recreational vehicle", its registered as a "commercial vehicle" BUT, that doesnt matter either, not being paid = no CDL required

what im saying is, CDL only applies if you're driving for work, the second you arent paid, its no longer a CMV, and can be driven by anyone just as legally as a ford ranger
what I said had nothing to do with a CDL learners permit, but instead the one you get at 15, the passenger "driver" doesnt need a CDL either, because its not a commercial vehicle

most RV's are well over 26000 pounds and most RVers dont have a CDL

I'd suggest you read up some more:
https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/safety/documents/CDL_Manual_May2022.pdf
"You must have a CDL to operate:​
Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more."​
That isn't an ambiguous statement, and it doesn't mention working for hire or not. I'll wait for you to find the section of that manual that says otherwise.

That was on page one of 1, by the way. Right up front for everyone to find.

ill let you know if I ever go to jail for it, wont happen, I read the law, then read it again, yeah my bucket truck isnt a "recreational vehicle", its registered as a "commercial vehicle" BUT, that doesnt matter either, not being paid = no CDL required

They don't take you to jail, regardless. I've had guys ticketed, and the cops are pretty nice about it. They WANT you to get the CDL, so they tell us to go get the CDL, show it to the judge, and they dismiss the ticket.

Get snotty with them, and your vehicle gets put out of service with a sticker on the window, announcing that if it is moved without correcting the listed failures, it is a felony to drive.

Now I'm guessing that you don't confront too many DOT inspections. I've had my trucks stopped dozens of times. So often in the past that the DOT inspectors used to call me out by name when they were talking to my employees. In recent years they have not been bothering us as much.

Now I'm guessing that you don't confront too many DOT inspections. I've had my trucks stopped dozens of times. So often in the past that the DOT inspectors used to call me out by name when they were talking to my employees. In recent years they have not been bothering us as much.
aint been pulled over yet, never drove past a scale that said to pull in, never even been inspected
TN is one of the worst states for DOT, you get pulled over you arent talking your way out of a ticket, just not how it works here, but I do things legit so they dont have much reason to stop us

Ohio's exceptions are:
Recreational vehicles... manufactured AS manufactured vehicles. So, for example, a converted Peterbilt doesn't count as I understand it...unless, perhaps, an RV manufacturer takes.the chassis and builds an RV on it, then titles it as such. A functional dump truck or bucket truck won't fly.

Agricultural vehicles (with farm plates). Those plates come with their own restrictions. Most farmers just get the CDL to avoid those restrictions.

maybe its changed or I was asleep when I read it the first time but I was 105% sure it specifically had an exemption for non compensated work

Eh. It happens. They change the rules, then they don't call you up and tell you. I got caught on an argument earlier in this thread, too. I used to know the rules absolutely, but they changed, and I didn't keep up.

Now as to that working for hire, that applies to your class E license, formerly known around here as a "chauffers license". Your comments fit that perfectly, as it is a simple measure of whether you are driving for hire or not. I don't even know if Tennessee has a "class E". Around here, it's a class F license for regular drivers, and a class E for non-cdl vehicles when working for hire. I think even the RV owners have to have that CDL-C if they are driving their personal bus/recreational vehicle. I haven't researched that, though.

Eh. It happens. They change the rules, then they don't call you up and tell you. I got caught on an argument earlier in this thread, too. I used to know the rules absolutely, but they changed, and I didn't keep up.

Now as to that working for hire, that applies to your class E license, formerly known around here as a "chauffers license". Your comments fit that perfectly, as it is a simple measure of whether you are driving for hire or not. I don't even know if Tennessee has a "class E". Around here, it's a class F license for regular drivers, and a class E for non-cdl vehicles when working for hire. I think even the RV owners have to have that CDL-C if they are driving their personal bus/recreational vehicle. I haven't researched that, though.
we have
Learner permit (GDL)
intermediate Restricted License (GDL)
Intermediate Unrestricted license (GDL)
Regular Drivers License (D)
CDL(A,B,C)
hardship license (H or HX, basically its a class D for 14 year olds if theres family issues)
Temporary license (XD, XM or permit)
and a motorcycle (M) license
basically, starting from the bottom up, get a permit at 15, have it for 6 months, then take a drivers test to get the restricted at 16 which limits you to daylight hours and 1 passenger, then walk in at 17 and they give you a new card with no testing which allows however many passengers and removes restrictions on daytime, then you get a class D at 18, then you can go to CDL school and get your class A, B or C, once with your CDL I believe you cannot drive out of the state till you turn 21
note, if you never get a permit, you can walk in and get a class D on your 18th birthday, then take the CDL test as soon as you finish "Cdl school", so you can have a whopping 3 weeks of driving and be let loose with a class A here
or do like me, have a permit and just renew it because its cheaper than "graduating", then get into CDL school as soon as you turn 18

speaking of I get my Class A this year, ya'll watch out now, IDK which button makes this truck stop!

also, TN has a "E" Restriction on the CDL (all classes)
basically, if you take your test in an automatic truck, you cannot drive a manual until you re-test in a manual

Latest posts

Back