Bucket truck durability question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wasnt trying to imply that the rods were the same case as a garbage truck or other machinery, i agree that there is alot more at stake in this case, but chrome nicks and minor gouges are not a structural issue, wheres a rod end breaking off is, i would repair a rod end broke off on a garbage truck or backhoe, but i agree i wouldnt even consider it on a manlift of any kind. however i would have no worries repairing nicks on either, so what was it that caused the rods to need replacement? i doubt it was breakage but i could be wrong just asking

replacing cylinder rods???? why? i repair heavy equipment and garbage trucks for a living so i see alot of hydraulics everyday and rarely do we have to replace a rod unless it gets bent from damage, or gets a gouge real bad from a rock such is common with backhoe cylinders but on a bucket truck i cant picture how you can damage them very easily way up in the air like that unless ya have very careless operators. small nicks,gouges, scrapes or rust pitting can be repaired with epoxys or with special alloys applied with a tig, replacement isnt often needed

he meant "boom pins" im sure, depending on the boom make this can be an often PITA part of maintenance!

LXT............

I have worked Elliot,older asplundh,newer altec's, and what I own and have worked out of the last 15 years is a high ranger. All are good except early Asplundh they were dangerous.
Maintenance will always need done periodically,lines will blow etc. I really need to spend on mine but it works and I don't have the funds to replace drive cables and leveling lines like the book calls for but I do inspect them regular for wear. I grease regular and check for cracked welds but the book says leveling cables and drive cables should be changed every 3 years. I know personally that does not occur. Anyway what ever lift you decide to purchase get both a maintenance manual and operators manual if you are not well versed. It is little things that can cause big catastrophe's

Last edited:
he meant "boom pins" im sure, depending on the boom make this can be an often PITA part of maintenance!

LXT............

ahh ok this makes alot more sense, yea pins definatly can wear, especialy with lack of lube!

I have a 1999 gmc chipper dump with a LR3 boom for sale with only 55,700 miles on it

Back