Bucket truck, what features do you like?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never been i a bucket that does not have 360 contin. rotation. I thought that is a standard thing.
-pistol grip
- auto dump bucket
- the greatest over center as possible
- fast boom travel
- fast boom travel
And fast boom travel
Lawmart
play safe

Skyworker and a few others make/made buckets that were not 360 degrees constant.

Aerial lift type elevator, allows for repositioning without moving truck.

Allows us to trim 6 City tree's in one setup. 3 on each side of street.

never been i a bucket that does not have 360 contin. rotation. I thought that is a standard thing.
-pistol grip
- auto dump bucket
- the greatest over center as possible
- fast boom travel
- fast boom travel
And fast boom travel
Lawmart
play safe

the older ones don't spin like a top,, have stops...

1: remote start stop switch in the bucket,, the hi-ranger i run,,the engine is running fast idle the whole time,, really doesn't need to do that all of the time.. plus if you have to yell down,, lot easier to hear without the engine running...

2: auto idle kick up when moving the boom.... see above

3: any kind of bucket dump,,, used to run a altec ls 125,, had the dump feature.....also ran a older teco,, had a pin you could pull and flip the bucket... really sucks when you have to bail out the basket on monday with a coffee cup,, after a weekend rain storm...

4: covers that keep the rain out... see above

Tracks and a winch I am designing a new style and hope
can get some one to build it!
other: remote start and backup pump to get you down
air conditioned and a heater, material handler, strong
enough for medium rigging as a crane!

Last edited:
the older ones don't spin like a top,, have stops...

1: remote start stop switch in the bucket,, the hi-ranger i run,,the engine is running fast idle the whole time,, really doesn't need to do that all of the time.. plus if you have to yell down,, lot easier to hear without the engine running...

2: auto idle kick up when moving the boom.... see above

3: any kind of bucket dump,,, used to run a altec ls 125,, had the dump feature.....also ran a older teco,, had a pin you could pull and flip the bucket... really sucks when you have to bail out the basket on monday with a coffee cup,, after a weekend rain storm...

4: covers that keep the rain out... see above
Hey you can put a throttle kicker on your rig easy enough!

here here juststumps

+1

Easily the best thing about our Altec 75' (with elevator) is being able to communicate with my guys without yelling. I don't know if it happens to anyone else, but when I turn that bucket off and talk to my guys instead of yelling, the stress level of big jobs goes down a notch. Feels really good. Plus then you can hear the tunes coming out of the truck for a coupla moments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has an adjustable throttle kicker. The DT466 sounds good kicking in but I know it's drinking some fuel.

One thing my highranger does not have.....is lockout switches on the outriggers. It's possible to have full use of the boom with the outriggers all the way pulled in, a great way to turn over a bucket truck!

Yes mine is the same but on level ground the truck
itself will not turn over with boom full to the side
unless a spring breaks!

Continuous 360 degree rotation. Maximum OC capability. Remote start/stop controls. 1 man bucket. Pistol grip is nice too.

Never worked in an elevated lift, they look pretty slick. Also never worked on one without the outrigger lockout switches. Those are a basic safety feature.

Just curious what you guys thoughts are on this though (and I think it may have been discussed in another thread, so my bad if it's a repeat)...anyway...there's a crew fairly locally running a retired utility bucket with a small jib on it. I don't think it's rated for a lot of working capacity, the utility uses cranes for setting poles, lifting cans etc. The tree co. uses it for light/moderate rigging and lowering. I've wondered how safe that is and how much it could compromise the boom. If it's safe and within the design and weight ranges, then it could be a slick little tool. If not, it's pretty dangerous.

Thoughts?

Mine has an adjustable throttle kicker. The DT466 sounds good kicking in but I know it's drinking some fuel.

One thing my highranger does not have.....is lockout switches on the outriggers. It's possible to have full use of the boom with the outriggers all the way pulled in, a great way to turn over a bucket truck!

all the rigs i've used,, had at least a selector switch,,, out riggers or boom.....some had control valves to lock the out riggers.........most did have limit switches,, if the out rigger weren't down,, no boom.. the hi= ranger doesn't... kind of silly thing to do...there is a reason they try to make things idiot proof!!!!!! THERE ARE A LOT OF IDIOTS OUT THERE !!!!!!!!

Back