Bucket Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Schmidys looks awesome just got off the phone with them and checking the web site . I was looking at one with a versalift . Anyone know how the versalift performs? Its a model vo55. From looking at photos id assume the versalift is better for tree work . thanx Dark

I am not sure if Schmittiy's is the one I am thinking of, but one of the companies in Illinois has cheap trucks but for a good reason. Do you have the website.

http://www.schmidysmachinery.com/
That's the website if I know what you all are talking about. PTS, what are you saying there reason is for being cheap?? I am also in the truck hunt once I get the financing figured out.
I talked to someone there yesterday and he said they only had one forestry body in stock.... They may have only had one diesel now that I think about it.
I think bucket trucks are a great addition. I currently climb everything, but have about 7 removals planned that I'm waiting until I get a truck.... I will get a forestry body, but it's mostly because we are a small show, just 2 or 3 of us most of the time. It's be a hassle on some jobs to get 2 trucks there. I've been asked about several very dead trees in the past few years that I didn't do because I could (or wouldn't) climb. Had some work in ice storms that I couldn't climb. Also, what looks more professional, the chip trucks many of us drive(mine's ugly anyway), or a nice forestry packaged truck?? I'm not positive, but I think it would be awesome advertising.... People associate big bucket trucks and chippers with professional tree companies. WE all know that most of us don't have em', some of us don't need em', and some don't even want em' but that doesn't change the publics' image of what a "tree-guy" drives.

Just some of my thoughts.....

Just to throw my 2 cents in I have had and used a bunch of different buckets and they will definitly save you a load of time with many trees. You will not regret having one. As for the setup, forestry body most versatile, can be used as chip truck or wood truck. Only problem with it as a primary chip truck is when its loaded 1/2 way through a job the whole operation goes to the dump. Over center boom also more versatile can get more side reach which can help in a lot of backyard jobs. Also when looking may I suggest you look at the type and design of boom for maintanence purpose, booms with cables require more maintainence and cables must be replaced every 5-7 years $$$$ ,hydraulic piston lift lower maintainence and longer life. Good luck in your search.

Forestry Package only way to go. We use ours yes,50% of time but when we need it it serves us great, I however own a rear mount Altec 56' on Ford F800 Detroit Diesel. My crew is running it in Louisiana now and only use it 4 hours a week. Not cost effective back here in Iowa however.

I love my forestry package, one way to help with chipper placement is that sometimes I bring my pickup truck along and hook the chipper up to it and back the chipper alongside the truck with the chipper facing "backwards" but still far enough back so that it can still shoot chips into the truck. At least that way you don't have to drag the brush all the way back to the chipper and then turn the brush around. For a one truck operation you can't beat the forestry package. If you are going to have a separate chip truck the rear-mount is the way to go.

Must Have

When we started our business our 60 foot forestry package was our back bone... even under CDL. What other piece of equipment allows you to do everything?
You don't have to use the bucket. Have enough men, have someone climbing while someone else goes and tops at another location. All the while chipping into the body; while your primary chip truck heads to the dump spot you can be chipping into the forestry package.
You will use it so often you won't know how you did without it.

Hey Darkstar,

Here is another good location that usually has alot of good used and some sweet new bucket trucks. It is called Lewis Utility Truck Sales it is in Indiana. I believe there website is www.lewisutilitytrucksales.com Hope this helps you out. I highly recommend a boom. They are nice and have there places.

Bucket truck sideline

One advantage to the bucket truck that really has nothing to do with trees but to your future customers is that it creates a lot of extra jobs for you. For example I have painted flag poles, cleaned snow off of roofs, changed light bulbs on street lights, hung Christmas decorations for our city, private Christmas decorations and lights in trees, cleaned out gutters on steep roofs, lifted electricians and construction contractors in the air to do work, put up antennas and satellite dishes... The aerial work is endless. All good easy money and all caused by owning a bucket truck. Plus these people are now repeat customers for trees. I rent my truck out with me or one of my guys being the operator of course for an hourly rate, and it is money in your pocket. Never a shortage of sideline jobs.

Good point PTS we are getting ready to put up the Christmas lights for the town I live in and also the town south of us. I have a local electrician that has us lift him up to do sign work and who knows what. Just did a bid to paint the flag pole for the local post office. So yes there's alot of possible income by having a bucket truck other than tree work.

Latest posts

Back