Build a Soda Blaster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneoldbanjo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just found this article on the internet.....looks like a good way to clean up aluminum without etching it and making the surface porous the way that Glass Beads do.

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

I have an air cooled motorcycle that had the head and cylinder glass beaded before I got it - and the rough porous surface is impossible to keep clean and absorbs stains from our clay soil in Kentucky.

I used to work for a shop that had soda blasting equipment, and it is great for aluminum and other soft materials. I have seen soda blasting used to remove graffiti from the sides of city buses and road signs without damaging the original paint. We also used it on tombstones that punks had spray painted. It won't work on tougher materials, such as electro-static paints or baked on enamels.

Remember this, many of the companies that sell the soda and the equipment advertise that you can simply dissolve it in water and wash it down the drain, which is true. What you have to realize is that the stuff that you blast off, most likely cannot be safely or legally "washed down the drain."

The amount of junk that one guy in his shop would blast off most likely wouldn't be "picked up on" by the EPA, but some of those paints and stuff can do nasty stuff to your plumbing or sewage system.

I have been using sodium hydroxide to clean oxidized aluminum before polishing. Cascade has allot in it, just fill a bucket with water and a box of cascade and let it soak for a while then wash it off. The rocker box on the right has been cleaned up in it, the one on the left is after polishing.
chop003.jpg

,,,,,,,unless you live in Washington, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Michigan, Vermont, Minnesota, Illinois, Massachusetts or New York with the eco pu$$ys:bang:

I used soda to remove the paint from aircraft floats. We used a regular sandblaster and got the soda from the local feed store. I think a 50 pound bag was about 12 bucks, was a few years ago so will be more now.
Jim

Well I just had to try that today. It will remove paint from a Stihl starter cover but it is ssssssslllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwww. I went one step farther and bought a syphon blow gun with about 8" extension from auto parts house. I think regular baking soda is way too fine to remove paint but it will clean chrome tags and grime great.

:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Even ultra fine glass beads will etch the aluminum a bit and make it more porous. This is fine for parts that will be painted and really helps the paint adhere - but for cast aluminum parts the finish is altered and it becomes harder to keep clean. My thought about the Soda Blasting is that it may work well for cleaning up aluminum parts that will not be painted.

Here is a picture of a motorcycle cylinder that was glass beaded - I have no idea what grade of glass beads was used. It has lost the dull/matte aluminum shine that die cast pieces have and it is very hard to keep clean and the clay soil stains the aluminum and won't wash off. I may try some form of ceramic media in a tumbler to bring back the dull shine and seal up the rough surface.

attachment.php

I wonder how washing soda (sodium carbonate) would do. It generally is a bit more granulated than powdered and might be a bit more agressive.

Romeo - I can get small jars of pure Sodium Hydroxide at the local grocery stores with their cleaning supplies. It's marketed as "Lye Flakes". You don't get a lot - maybe a couple cups for $5 - but it's pure NaOH and is STRONG. Even fairly diluted it burns skin. Just for kicks I threw some flakes in a cup with some Hydrochloric Acid to watch the fireworks. Puts the whole baking soda & vinegar reaction to shame!

Even ultra fine glass beads will etch the aluminum a bit and make it more porous. This is fine for parts that will be painted and really helps the paint adhere - but for cast aluminum parts the finish is altered and it becomes harder to keep clean. My thought about the Soda Blasting is that it may work well for cleaning up aluminum parts that will not be painted.

Here is a picture of a motorcycle cylinder that was glass beaded - I have no idea what grade of glass beads was used. It has lost the dull/matte aluminum shine that die cast pieces have and it is very hard to keep clean and the clay soil stains the aluminum and won't wash off. I may try some form of ceramic media in a tumbler to bring back the dull shine and seal up the rough surface.

attachment.php

Walnut shells will be much kinder to your alloy if you are leaving it naked - slow, but gives more of a "polished" finish.

Latest posts

Back