Build a splitter made in the USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob, I wanted to build my own splitter but after searching for parts and pricing everything out I just couldn't do it for anywhere near the price of the Speeco at TSC. I've had it a couple years now and lots of wood thru it, no problems yet. I have 2 other splitters to that I have customized to do what I want them to so it's not that I wasn't capable of building it, I just couldn't justify it at the time.
You don't have to build it to prove it, just list everything you need to build it and the prices for the stuff, I'll bet you will be surprised. Here a pump and the motor is almost $1000.

What about junkyard parts?

Apples to apples or at least as close as you can. I don't think Speeco shops Craigslist for parts? :hmm3grin2orange:
I might be close to the ultimate hoarder and my threads some some of the stuff I have built, I'm just trying to be fair.

Right!

Build a splitter from ALL new parts.Not scrounged stuff. The thouht behind building the splitter is, a NEW American made splitter of ALL American parts, VS new imported "garbage".

Lets compare prices......

But in the long run regardless of price weather you opt to build one or buy from a box store I'm wondering about longevity assuming the user actually maintains the unit I bet the box store unit will cost more in the long run repair wise with the same theory all the small odd and in fixes will add up
I've been around I've looked at them I'm not impressed
And I never said you have to use all new parts to build one Buy the critical parts new yes but the rest you can scrounge axle, tank and I guess motor too if you confident enough it will suit your needs and hold up

I just bought an old Lickity Split Log Splitter, all American, originally made by the Waco Aircraft co. Paid $50 for it so you might as well say my buddy gave it to me. Seven inch cylinder, heat treated alloy steel beam, 8hp Kohler, retractable axle, adjustable wedge, auto cycle in and out. By the time I completely rebuild this thing I'll probably have more in it than the Habour Freight machine. Ten times the machine. I'm gonna document the restoraton with pics and prices. I've already wimped out and bought a HF 61/2 horse engine, just to get it running, and see what parts do and don't work. I hope to have it running well by summer time, we'll see, Joe.

I just bought an old Lickity Split Log Splitter, all American, originally made by the Waco Aircraft co. Paid $50 for it so you might as well say my buddy gave it to me. Seven inch cylinder, heat treated alloy steel beam, 8hp Kohler, retractable axle, adjustable wedge, auto cycle in and out. By the time I completely rebuild this thing I'll probably have more in it than the Habour Freight machine. Ten times the machine. I'm gonna document the restoraton with pics and prices. I've already wimped out and bought a HF 61/2 horse engine, just to get it running, and see what parts do and don't work. I hope to have it running well by summer time, we'll see, Joe.

Can the kohler not be rebuilt the really easy to do and it not as much as you think to do it. The k181 8hp is a good little engine

I have built several splitters over the past couple of winters. I have a lot of time in the winter and I am just looking for something to keep me busy I guess. You realistically can not build a splitter cheaper than you can buy one. Maybe a really heavy duty one like a Timberwolf you could build cheaper but....... Those companies buy several dozen engines and pumps and cylinders at a time so yhey get them really cheap, let alone the beam and iron they buy and don't forget the several $25-40 hoses that you will buy and they make themselves. The splitters I have built for "fun" I have sold, I don't need a pile of splitters, I have lost money onand that's not even considering my labor or small stuff like welding wire, gas, paint grinding wheels, beer, bandades, more beer.
BTW I am always looking for stuff I can use in my next build so I don't use all new parts and I have NEVER had as good luck with a used motor as I have with a crate one, and I have used many in 30 years.
LOne wolf I have the same splitter did some mods to it check it out in building a log lift for my splitter.

TWO CEnts WoRth.:cheers:

I have built several splitters over the past couple of winters. I have a lot of time in the winter and I am just looking for something to keep me busy I guess. You realistically can not build a splitter cheaper than you can buy one. Maybe a really heavy duty one like a Timberwolf you could build cheaper but....... Those companies buy several dozen engines and pumps and cylinders at a time so yhey get them really cheap, let alone the beam and iron they buy and don't forget the several $25-40 hoses that you will buy and they make themselves. The splitters I have built for "fun" I have sold, I don't need a pile of splitters, I have lost money onand that's not even considering my labor or small stuff like welding wire, gas, paint grinding wheels, beer, bandades, more beer.
BTW I am always looking for stuff I can use in my next build so I don't use all new parts and I have NEVER had as good luck with a used motor as I have with a crate one, and I have used many in 30 years.
LOne wolf I have the same splitter did some mods to it check it out in building a log lift for my splitter.

TWO CEnts WoRth.:cheers:

How long you had that splitter?I had mine about 13 years I think.

I don't remember how old it is? probably at least ten years, I only use it for myself and a small amount of friends. Maybe 6-9 cord a year. BTW I reallllly like having that log lift, it save a huge amount of time and back pain. definetly recommend a table of some kind to stage logs I estimate it's about 25-30% more productive when working alone. Two thumbs up.
Sorry for highjacking everyone, coffee is working good this morning....BBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZ!

I don't remember how old it is? probably at least ten years, I only use it for myself and a small amount of friends. Maybe 6-9 cord a year. BTW I reallllly like having that log lift, it save a huge amount of time and back pain. definetly recommend a table of some kind to stage logs I estimate it's about 25-30% more productive when working alone. Two thumbs up.
Sorry for highjacking everyone, coffee is working good this morning....BBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Great machine mine sees a lot of cords.

Latest posts

Back