Build Off MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm ready for a rematch. Im gonna put in a new plug and turn my chain around the right way this time. :)

That 372 XPW of terrys made your old one look like a turd. :laugh: No offense, but terrys xpw iis freaking wicked.

Hmmm.....seems to me like my buildoff 372 beat Terry's entry;) You want another whoopin'? I'd be happy to give it too ya, lol.

Hmmm.....seems to me like my buildoff 372 beat Terry's entry;) You want another whoopin'? I'd be happy to give it too ya, lol.

i have the one that placed in front of me still here and if you put my build off saw and it in the same wood side by side my saws a full 2 seconds faster. the wood in the build off was the great equalizer.

lots of good stuff is coming from these build offs! Very cool and nice to see. Wish I could go to one, or even have someone in the same time zone to run saws with! Keep up the fun guys and thanks for sharing.

Yeah lots of great stuff is coming from the build offs. Hats off to Terry and family for the great hosting they have and will do again. :msp_thumbup:

Most of you guys will surely remember me showing up and asking tons of questions. I probably drove everyone nuts. I had no idea a saw could be hot rodded. I enjoy hopping stuff up. I even hopped up my slot cars when I was a kid. :) (Oh yeah electric motors can be sped up too!!!)

I've not been building saws as long as any of you guys. I'm honored to be able to enter a saw in a competition with you all.

If I place in the top ten, great. If I don't I will have had fun and learned something in the process. I really like the way we can rib each other and not get too caught up in the winning. The build offs are bringing us together in many ways, just take a look at the Mission Backpack thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/175519.htm

I hope to see more builds posted and more guys being ribbed!!! :poke: :laugh:

I just realized that I never posted a video in this thread after the build. I did start another thread with videos hoping others would post their build off saws in it as well.

Anyway......

[video=youtube;OEOz2-rCVxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEOz2-rCVxg[/video]

side issue/ site load time outs

"I'm having a hell of a time with the site timing out before it loads."

I have found that happens a *lot* when you have all the javascript on various sites you visit enabled. You'll be pulling from who knows where how many other domains. Go ahead and view source on some pages here and there to see what I am talking about. You think you are visiting acme.com, but in reality it is acme, google, joes malware site, franksadvertising, sidneyswhoknowswhat.com and etc..

If you use firefox, just use the noscript plug in, and don't allow any JavaScript here. See if that helps. I know back when all I could get was dialup, two years ago, it got to the point I was going to give up on the net, pages took so long to load and would time out, etc. Now with noscript and adblock plus and a flashblocker, man, it's like a serious speed boost.

I have a faster connection now, but it is cellular so limited on monthly transfer, so I find that combo still works for me, cuts page sizes down considerably. Also makes surfing more secure as an additional side benefit. Been tons of reports of outside domains delivering malware with ads when they get compromised.

I am not against ad supported sites, and I have visited (and bought from) advertisers here, and will in the future when I can, but they-all the ad supported websites "they"- need normal text links as well as the flash and javascript heavy blinking animated GIF whatevers that pull from over yonder. I consider those sorts of ads to be like using ALL CAPS on forums, just rude and annoying.

Apologies for the side issue, just letting a little nerdiness out, and maybe that info will help you with page loading.

"I'm having a hell of a time with the site timing out before it loads."

I have found that happens a *lot* when you have all the javascript on various sites you visit enabled. You'll be pulling from who knows where how many other domains. Go ahead and view source on some pages here and there to see what I am talking about. You think you are visiting acme.com, but in reality it is acme, google, joes malware site, franksadvertising, sidneyswhoknowswhat.com and etc..

If you use firefox, just use the noscript plug in, and don't allow any JavaScript here. See if that helps. I know back when all I could get was dialup, two years ago, it got to the point I was going to give up on the net, pages took so long to load and would time out, etc. Now with noscript and adblock plus and a flashblocker, man, it's like a serious speed boost.

I have a faster connection now, but it is cellular so limited on monthly transfer, so I find that combo still works for me, cuts page sizes down considerably. Also makes surfing more secure as an additional side benefit. Been tons of reports of outside domains delivering malware with ads when they get compromised.

I am not against ad supported sites, and I have visited (and bought from) advertisers here, and will in the future when I can, but they-all the ad supported websites "they"- need normal text links as well as the flash and javascript heavy blinking animated GIF whatevers that pull from over yonder. I consider those sorts of ads to be like using ALL CAPS on forums, just rude and annoying.

Apologies for the side issue, just letting a little nerdiness out, and maybe that info will help you with page loading.

I'm not a "tech head" so this is helpful to me. Don't worry about the side issue. Thanks!!!! I'll be trying these plug ins as I use firefox.

Not that I could even tell if it looked bad, but I will say it anyways. Looks good Randy!!! Your got me itching to get my 044/046 broke in, so I can tear it apart and see if I cant make a paper weight out of it:D.

Not that I could even tell if it looked bad, but I will say it anyways. Looks good Randy!!! Your got me itching to get my 044/046 broke in, so I can tear it apart and see if I cant make a paper weight out of it:D.

Thanks Brian. The proof is in the pudding though ain't it? We will have to see how it stacks up against the other builds at the GTG. I do feel good about it though. I've been running it some everyday and it is getting stronger as the rings seal more.

Mastermind, thanks for the great thread, posting the photo's for guys to look at is good stuff. It sure looks like it is a strong saw in the video. Lot's of good info shared. Any point in doing some carb work to try and get more fuel to it, just thinking out loud. I seen were guys are either up sizing carbs or drilling them out to get more fuel to them just wondering if that would help a little.
Again, great post!

Mastermind, thanks for the great thread, posting the photo's for guys to look at is good stuff. It sure looks like it is a strong saw in the video. Lot's of good info shared. Any point in doing some carb work to try and get more fuel to it, just thinking out loud. I seen were guys are either up sizing carbs or drilling them out to get more fuel to them just wondering if that would help a little.
Again, great post!

A little work has been done on the carb, the shafts have been thinned a bit and the venturi is bored just a little. It gets plenty of fuel, I can make it pig rich with a half turn of the high jet. No worries about it starving for fuel.

This is the saw I use for bucking and felling more than any saw I own. It's a thirsty SOB too. I would hate for it to use any more fuel than it does now. :laugh:

A little work has been done on the carb, the shafts have been thinned a bit and the venturi is bored just a little. It gets plenty of fuel, I can make it pig rich with a half turn of the high jet. No worries about it starving for fuel.

This is the saw I use for bucking and felling more than any saw I own. It's a thirsty SOB too. I would hate for it to use any more fuel than it does now. :laugh:

hello Sir,do you got some pictures of your carb work??

Thanks Brian. The proof is in the pudding though ain't it? We will have to see how it stacks up against the other builds at the GTG. I do feel good about it though. I've been running it some everyday and it is getting stronger as the rings seal more.

Hey if it runs better than before you took it apart you did good. I will be happy if mine still runs after I try to port it. I am afraid I will walk away with a paper weight LOL. Good luck with it at the GTG, and thanks for sharing the pics. I am sure I will be studying them as well as many others before I give it a whirl.

I tore the old beast back down and put a new set of Caber rings in it. It was pushing 190psi when I broke it back apart. I'll report back in a few tanks to see if I did the right thing or not. :laugh:

I tore the old beast back down and put a new set of Caber rings in it. It was pushing 190psi when I broke it back apart. I'll report back in a few tanks to see if I did the right thing or not. :laugh:

Cool beans man. Those cabers are nice rings. Im running them in several saws.

Dont forget im bringing you a new muffler back when I come down. :p

FWIW, my 046 should be back together tomorrow sometime. All i like is turning .005 off the jug then it's on like donkey kong!!! :rock:

just swing on over here wiggs and we'll see if its got anything for my xpWWWW

Latest posts

Back