Building a 5200/8500 hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I found a 8510 concrete saw and the top end was in good shape out of all things. With this I decided to take apart my lean seized 8500 and build a hybrid from three saws. The parts I will use is a follows. I will use a new set of 5200 cases and starter assembly. I will use the top end and crank from the 8510 and 8500. I will also use the fuel tank assembly from the 8510. From what I have found they're are not much differences between the 8500 and 5200. You could really easily convert a 8500 to a 5200, but it would be a pain to take a 5200 and make it a 8500. Once I get all the parts cleaned and painted I will start to take pictures and post my findings. Oh, I will also use the top cover from the 8510 and use a K&N air filter. Also, I have the set of 8500 cases left over and probably will not use them. They are in decent condition. If anyone is interested I would be willing to trade them for a full wrap handle. By the way the cases will not have a crank to go with them.

I'm very anxious to watch this build unfold.
Fatguy, Andyshine77, ModifiedMark and I found MANY differences while disecting the two here at my house a while back.
I don't think any of them were insurmountable though.

Mike

I'm very anxious to watch this build unfold.
Fatguy, Andyshine77, ModifiedMark and I found MANY differences while disecting the two here at my house a while back.
I don't think any of them were insurmountable though.

Mike

Maybe not but I still think there might be a difference in the cases and the crank centerline. Why else could the 8500 use a lower compression hight on the piston and get away with it if they use the same cyl?
I have my ears wide open so let us know Thomas!

Latest posts

Back