Building a Log Spliter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipmc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Once i get that cast iron briggs engine running i would like to build a log spliter to put it on, Im fairly good with a torch and a arc welder, and about have my plan figured out except for 1 minor detail. What size pump , and ram would work best with this engine ? And where would i get these parts from ?

Just go buy one!!!!!!!!
Check out Northern tools, they will have about everything you dreamed of.
But buy the time you price it out, you can buy one for less than you can buy the components!!! With the price of Steel going through the roof, all the welding rod you will need, a chop saw and a couple of burt up grinders.
Trust me, it's not worth it unless you have more time an money than you know what to do with right now!

5 inch ram, 24 inch stroke, 28gpm two speed pump, direct connect using Lovejoy couplings. Large hydraulic tank at least 20 gallons. 3/4 inch hydraulic lines and valve. removable 4 way wedge.

I would call this mostly overkill. 28gpm is not needed, 20gal res, waste of hydralic fluid, and 3/4 inch lines are well, also an overexpendature. 4-way wedge is a luxury. How much hp do you have? For the set up TreeCO stated you'd need atl least 20 and that might not be enough. Here's a good rule of thumb when talking about two stage pump's and what hp is required to run them. a five horse will support up to 11gpm, not the most power but it will do. 13-16-18 pumps really need 12.5-18 hp. you can also run a 20gpm with an 18 but again you're pushing the limits. First decide what motor is gonna be used. That will lead you to pump,valve,beam construction,and biggest cylinder that would have desent cycle times. It all goes together in a chain philosophy. Weakest link, will fail first. I've built several and am currently building one like no other on the planet. pm me and I walk ya through the whole deal and tell ya where to find the cheapest parts. Here is some general prices of the parts you'll need accounting you have a motor, and that's it. coupler $15-25,hydralic pump mount 25-40, valve 75-100, cylinder 100-200, wedge system, 35-100, resvoir 20-40, pump 75-140, hydralic lines 50-100, hydralic filter 15-40, and beam to many variables to mention. How are you going to transport it? is another question. This sounds like alot but, it not as bad as it sounds. what design is another, vertical,horizontal, both? Granted all the prices are new.

Last edited:
pic

Here's a pic of my bread and butter unit, transported by my truck. 16hp,16gpm,7gal res,eletric start,5 inch X 36 inch ram. This b##ch will split green hedge big as my hood on the truck if your man enough to get it to it.

if you are planning on only using cast iron briggs as motor. that will decide max gpm/size of pump you can mate to motor.

you can mate a smaller pump to a too large motor without problems except for bad fuel consumption. but not the other way around.

according to speeco engineers, calculate using 2 gpm for every one HP. this is assuming you are using a modern two stage pump like haldex listed at northertools.

if I had the motor and didn't care about fuel consumption. I'd go with 28 gpm vs 22 gpm. currently Northern tools list a Haldx two stage 16 gpm at $169, 22 gpm at $300 and 28 gpm at $369. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

so price jump from 16 gpm to 22 gpm almost doubles, but just $69 more for a 28 gpm pump. note valves, hoses, etc all has to mate to flow.

to predict cycle times you need to look spec's from conservative splitter spec's like timberwolf TW5.

my huskee/speeco 35 ton splitter has 12.5 hp ohv briggs mated to 16 gpm with 5 in ram and 26 in travel. my cycle times are 16 seconds range. TW5 uses a 22 gpm, 11hp, 5 in ram with 10 second cycle times. there's an optional TW5 with 4in wedge that's got a blistering 6 second cycle times.

this combination will bust through most anything thrown at it and is plenty strong enough for a four-way wedge. (using fixed four wedges is not recommended but that's another topic.)

an upgrade to 22 gpm haldex pump is in the future for my Huskee splitter. my 12.5 hp motor should pull 22 gpm with no problems. in process of verifying existing hoses/valves will handle extra flow. suspect return lines will need to be enlarged.

Last edited:
take a look here

Go over to the Firewood and Heating forum, thread Log splitter pump mounting question. Great thread on the whole process of building one that's affordable.

Last edited:
have to chime in here

mine was given to me. and with the motor swaop to honda, which i already had, and the over 20 hours of fixing another persons welds. dont forget a few hundred in hydraulic hoses.
i probably could of bought a decent unit at a box store for the same price.
i did all of the welding and fab myself. so i must say with a heavy heart, you can buy a unit cheaper than you can build one.
check the price on steel, it is outrageous.
sory dude.badcars2

Without a doubt

mine was given to me. and with the motor swaop to honda, which i already had, and the over 20 hours of fixing another persons welds. dont forget a few hundred in hydraulic hoses.
i did all of the welding and fab myself. so i must say with a heavy heart, you can buy a unit cheaper than you can build one.
check the price on steel, it is outrageous.
sory dude.badcars2

No Question ,about it,..you can (NOT) build a cheap, (knock off), splitter for the same price,.that you can buy a cheap (Knock off) one,for... With that said,. suppose I dont want a CHEAP (knock off) CHINIZE splitter,....say I want a tw5 quality type,...$5000,00 Now were talkin about a different story,.....NOT A CHEEP KNOCK OFF,.. And ( I ) built IT my self,. Means alot 2 some .. Dont try telling ANY BODY you cant do it,..... Successfully..T,C, E,J,

No Question ,about it,..you can (NOT) build a cheap, (knock off), splitter for the same price,.that you can buy a cheap (Knock off) one,for... With that said,. suppose I dont want a CHEAP (knock off) CHINIZE splitter,....say I want a tw5 quality type,...$5000,00 Now were talkin about a different story,.....NOT A CHEEP KNOCK OFF,.. And ( I ) built IT my self,. Means alot 2 some .. Dont try telling ANY BODY you cant do it,..... Successfully..T,C, E,J,

Well said.

i did all of the welding and fab myself. so i must say with a heavy heart, you can buy a unit cheaper than you can build one.check the price on steel, it is outrageous.
sory dude.badcars2

========

What he said...

abinman
.. Dont try telling ANY BODY you cant do it,..... Successfully..T,C, E,J,

=====
He didn't you couldn't build it,,,,Successfully, he said you could buy it cheaper.
And I agree. As far as TW's go they seem to be WAY over priced...IMO

Last edited:
pretty valid points!

don't split enough wood to justify a TW5, but I want one.

Timberwolf TW5 and American Splitter's AM-26HW, both have hydraulic controlled four way wedges. combined with log lift, it's one sweet production unit!

some more clarity.

By cheaper you mean the box store gas powered units, such as Swisher, Huskee, Mtd, some Northern tool units, basically everything 5hp. with an 11gpm or smaller pump.:popcorn: But one point We do want to consider is that anybody who builds a cheaper unit will usually have (because it's probably how they got the idea), some of the required parts. Either the cylinder, valve,motor, or maybe all of the parts minus the trivial stuff.

Last edited:
used parts

And I will say for sure, you can build one using used parts cheaper.

Good point

By cheaper you mean the box store gas powered units, such as Swisher, Huskee, Mtd, some Northern tool units, basically everything 5hp. with an 11gpm or smaller pump.:popcorn: But one point We do want to consider is that anybody who builds a cheaper unit will usually have (because it's probably how they got the idea), some of the required parts. Either the cylinder, valve,motor, or maybe all of the parts minus the trivial stuff.

When my friend built the one that I have now, he scrounged most of the parts, got the steel for nothing and his brother-in-law (welder by trade) welded it up. The first motor was an ancient B&S 8 horse that burned more oil than gas and had almost pure STP (Stop That Pounding) in the crankcase. Scored the motor for 50 bucks and it ran like that for quite a few years. I don't know what Bob spent on it but it couldn't have been much.
Heck, he even got the cylinder and valve bank for nothing from another Millwright and made up the hoses at work when he was being trained to crimp hydraulic fittings as part of his job.

Perhaps you CAN make one cheaply sometimes.

For $5k, go buy the TW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried building one, I am still building it!!! (look it up, there's even a video of it, before it broke, again)
27hp Kawi. twin, watercooled 3hrs on it $500, 28GPM Haldex $350, hoses $750 (I got them down to $450 as they quoted me on the phone) 3/4 ton rear axle, free, steel, free, I-beam -$50, 6"x24" cylinder, free, control valve, free, $100 in wiring, switches and an hour meter. $100 for a jack and hitch. $150 in hyd. fluid. Three burnt up angle grinders, one burnt up shop saw, filled my oxy/accet. rig four times. 30#'s of rod, I have no idea how many grinding wheels and cut off wheels. A few all nighters, plus I don't know how many hours of scrounging for material cutting 1 1/4" steel, more slag burns than I could count. And oh yeah, it's run about two hours!
I get the "I built it" coolness, but it really isn't worth it if you really want to get down to the nitty gritty, how much money would I have made splitting wood vs. all time I spent building this thing?
I really hate to be a spoil sport, but unless you are a MacGyver type (Patrick!!!!) you aren't whipping one up in a weekend!!!

let me clarify

if you want something that will do something that no ther splitter will do, by all means build it.
something else noone ever thinks about is their own time, what is that worth an hour. The one that was given to me, i repaired because i considered it a challenge, and i am in the middle of a three month layoff and i am subsidising my income with the sale of firewood.
i will admit i love to tinker with things, and yes all your friends look to you as some kind of fabrication god when you do build something like this.
to each his own, i love the intersting custom pics, i love the new ideas.
please dont take my initial comments as a you shouldnt try to do it, but after many people have gone through the entire process, they see one in a catalog, just like theirs, will do all the same things, and could have just picked up the phone and ordered.
later
badcars2
:givebeer: :chainsaw:

:LAUGH: I guess I am lucky up at my client's shop I have literally every thing I need with in a few feet of the shop and use of three phase welders and a full machine shop. I should be able to assemble a complete log splitter with in a week if their is a hose shop near by:D.

Last edited:
Once i get that cast iron briggs engine running i would like to build a log spliter to put it on, Im fairly good with a torch and a arc welder, and about have my plan figured out except for 1 minor detail. What size pump , and ram would work best with this engine ? And where would i get these parts from ?

ya know....you can build a splitter and you can build a splitter. just build it using basics. trying to beef it up is simply over-kill and is going to cost you more in the long run.

you don't need anything over 18hp. hell, some of the best ones use little 5.5 hp engines. and, you don't need a pump that would power an excavator either....you're only splitting wood.

i mounted mine on a light boat trailer. no need for massive axles....christ, you aren't going to haul wood with it.

remember: it's just a simple log splitter.

What Happened???

For $5k, go buy the TW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried building one, I am still building it!!! (look it up, there's even a video of it, before it broke, again)
27hp Kawi. twin, watercooled 3hrs on it $500, 28GPM Haldex $350, hoses $750 (I got them down to $450 as they quoted me on the phone) 3/4 ton rear axle, free, steel, free, I-beam -$50, 6"x24" cylinder, free, control valve, free, $100 in wiring, switches and an hour meter. $100 for a jack and hitch. $150 in hyd. fluid. Three burnt up angle grinders, one burnt up shop saw, filled my oxy/accet. rig four times. 30#'s of rod, I have no idea how many grinding wheels and cut off wheels. A few all nighters, plus I don't know how many hours of scrounging for material cutting 1 1/4" steel, more slag burns than I could count. And oh yeah, it's run about two hours!
I get the "I built it" coolness, but it really isn't worth it if you really want to get down to the nitty gritty, how much money would I have made splitting wood vs. all time I spent building this thing?
I really hate to be a spoil sport, but unless you are a MacGyver type (Patrick!!!!) you aren't whipping one up in a weekend!!!

Your story is one of the worst fab jobs most people will ever hear trying to build a log splitter, Unless you bought your power tools at the HARBOR FRIEGHT DISCOUNT BIN, China,? India,? Good tools are not cheap,.and cheap tools are not good, 750.00 for HOSES, Is there a crane built into that thing,?, even 450.00 you were seriousley takin advantage of,. Be honest,..you filled your torch tanks (4) times,?..for a spliitter project,... are they the little back pack size? If not Id be checkin the system for leaks, 100.00 for a jack and hitch, is twice as much as you can buy good quality stuff for at tractor supply,.. Any way what happened???, after all that, What are you breaking? after only 2 hours,.. can you post pics,

you don't need anything over 18hp. hell, some of the best ones use little 5.5 hp engines. and, you don't need a pump that would power an excavator either....you're only splitting wood.

The best log splitter don't even use hydraulic pumps. And they only need 6.5 hp engine. They will also split well north of 2 cords on a single tank of fuel. :popcorn:

Scott

Back