Building a Stove Patio <pics>

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lohman

Reaction score
Well Hello all, been away for the summer and decided to vist the site and start with an updated post for a recent project, a paver block patio around the outdoor stove.

Was tired of standing in the wet mud feeding the OWB last winter, so talked my wife into helping me with building a patio around the stove with some pavers. Picked up the pavers from a local CL posting early spring, and just now getting around to digging the area around the stove, and packing down the base rock. The second pic shows where we ended today, Saturday. The last two pics are her work on a rock patio behind the house she did last spring from flat rocks we picked up from our creek bed.

The lows are suppose to be mid 40s, so we are picking up the pace thinking we might fire up the Hardy by the end of the month? Also going to get my light pole wired up, the light fixture and switch mounted soon.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Her handy work last year.. started with the first area, kind of an area that was hard to mow, so she turned it into something nicer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

posted with wrong user name

I posted this with another userid (lohman) than the normal id I use iCreek. Had some problems when I registered awhile back and I guess I got two user ids. So now that I got my head staight, I will be posting as the normal iCreek.

Been away for awhile, almost forgot who I am :)

Finally had a weekend without rain, so we were able to finish up the stove patio. We used commercial edging with 12" spikes to prevent it from walking, and after filling it with a polymeric paver sand it feels very solid.

A little more dirt work, seeding & straw, base rock to driveway, ready for some wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow! That looks sharp. First class job. The herringbone pattern is a tough one to do. That will keep your feet dry for sure.

Wow! That looks sharp. First class job. The herringbone pattern is a tough one to do. That will keep your feet dry for sure.

Thanks, my wife saw the pattern in a book or on the Internet and thought she would try it, this is her third patio. I think it turned out great, and I sure won't miss standing in the mud. We are both happy to have this project almost completed.

Last night we hauled in tbe base rock, filled in the edges with top soil, left is to seed, straw, and start hauling in wood so I can fire the stove.

Here is a before and after pic, along with some others from last night.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks, my wife saw the pattern in a book or on the Internet and thought she would try it, this is her third patio. I think it turned out great, and I sure won't miss standing in the mud. We are both happy to have this project almost completed.

Last night we hauled in tbe base rock, filled in the edges with top soil, left is to seed, straw, and start hauling in wood so I can fire the stove.

I'm not so sure I'd be putting some nasty looking wood on something that nice.

I'm not so sure I'd be putting some nasty looking wood on something that nice.

I will probably only stack small stuff on the pavers and put most my wood around the edges. Here is a pic from last year as I leave an area to walk around the stove etc. But the dirt turns to mud quick when the weather gets bad. So most the wood will go in the grass and left side (gravel) area of the stove.

ps. Also have to get two brackets welded to my pole, and the light wired and mounted. I already have the electric coming in behind the stove, my BIL wants to do romex above ground from stove to pole. It will be so nice to have a light, and not stand in the mud this year.

final3_480.jpg

Last edited:
sorry, but am I the only one who thinks that you are now ready for a roof, and maybe some type of walls? That thing looks exposed.:monkey:

I would have to agree, just my wish my wife would agree. Guessing the roof would have to be metal?

In the winter I kind of block the wind and create my own walls with the wood piles, but then also block out the natural light. So with having the light out there this year it should help. It really does stand out there alone in the off season, so some type of roof or structure around would be nice.

One neighbor has his in a old single car garage shed building, he just backs in and dumps the wood.

Latest posts

Back