Building an Alaskan mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing this thread and others I decided to do my own mill.
Made out of unistrut and folded steel along with Kee Klamps on the riser posts.
Thanks Silverbox for giving me the kick I needed to do it !

I like it, looks like you didn't even have to do any welding, Except for the base of the verticals

Last edited:
It cuts much better now. I cut up 4 cedar logs into fence posts. 4 posts per log from 2 logs and 9 posts per log from 2 logs. Heres a pic of a 9 post cant ready for the alaskan, and a pic of some of the finished posts.

attachment.php

attachment.php

There is a guy on Lumberjocks that came up with a version that doesn't require welding at all. For those of us welding challenged.http://lumberjocks.com/projects/14505 I think I am going to give it a try
Curious is a husky 55 big enough to handle this type thing on logs less than 30"?

This idea has been around since chainsaws were invented, An alasksan mill can even be made from a couple of allthread rods and a piece of 4x2. This design, the mill on lumberjocks and most other alaskan mill (even most commercial alaskans) are definitely designed for the younger user who doesn't care about sore backs or shoulders.

There is no question that they work but their ergonomics of those mills are, to put it bluntly, hopeless! There have no handles or the handles are too low so the operator has to bend over, they jam up against the sides of the cant/logs so the operator has to expend energy unbogging the saw from the cut, and they force the operator to work with their arms spaced far apart.

I have used my 041 at 60cc and it will pull the chain and mill for that size wood it just take a while.The 55 should about comparible just let it cool and don't push it to keep up the RPM'S and you may want to use skip chain.

Thanks for getting back to me. I just have the one log for now and want to try this out. I know a few tree service guys that come across nice sized trees often enough to make it worth while if I enjoy milling stuff up. Plenty of oak and the occasional walnut. Thanks again

I have used my 041 at 60cc and it will pull the chain and mill for that size wood it just take a while.The 55 should about comparible just let it cool and don't push it to keep up the RPM'S and you may want to use skip chain.

Yep I agree. You have to remember that on a 22" log there is at most one 22" wide cut. If you square the log then the biggest cuts are 15.6" wide which the 55 should be OK with. As well as the recommendations above keep the chain sharp and take it easy and you should be OK.

Latest posts

Back